Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190205_172417.jpg 20190205_172449.jpg My crab apple and cherry seem to be seasoning quicker then I figured. Should easily be ready for next year at this rate. Theres a pile of oak and cherry at the new spot that's split and need to come home and be racked. The road is a mess right now with the warm weather so it will have to wait.

Crap weather here too. Hoping to get to that ugly oak hazard tree soon. Just need a nice enough day for a friend to drive his loader tractor down with a cage... No cab so its gonna have to be a nicer day. Then we can take some weight off it so it doesn't smear the power line, apple trees or other yard trees.

View attachment 713079 View attachment 713080 My crab apple and cherry seem to be seasoning quicker then I figured. Should easily be ready for next year at this rate. Theres a pile of oak and cherry at the new spot that's split and need to come home and be racked. The road is a mess right now with the warm weather so it will have to wait.
If its not still live when cut cherry dries pretty fast once its opened up. Sure do love the smell!

But sometimes when you get off the sled your nuts deep in it.

yeah, I remember similar... during deep powder skiing... and falling. I recently saw a young kid on a ski show...13 or so... an amazing skier. could hardly believe the jumps, slopes, grades, leap overs, faces... he skied with ease.

When I dropped the Black Walnut I had to cut a few good size limbs from another tree to get it to drop. The bark did not look much different, but the wood is a yellowish brown.

Anyone have any idea what I cut? The tree seemed to have several near vertical trunks about 8" in diameter.

Could always be butternut (or white walnut, and it is a walnut), looks similar to me before cutting into it. Softer wood, slow growing, but slow to rot. Don't think it tends to have multiple stems though.
Juglans-cinerea-Butternut-bark-trunk-winter.jpg

hope u get it. nice chunks!!

He actually called me today, said I’m free to take what I want. There’s no public place to scrounge around here so getting permission is a must. I got stopped by the township police last time I loaded up a few rounds sitting on the side of the road.

I used to get a TON of wood off of Craigslist/Facebook for free but now it seems it gets scooped up super fast.

View attachment 713079 View attachment 713080 My crab apple and cherry seem to be seasoning quicker then I figured. Should easily be ready for next year at this rate. Theres a pile of oak and cherry at the new spot that's split and need to come home and be racked. The road is a mess right now with the warm weather so it will have to wait.

It was almost like a spring day today, walked the dogs in a t-shirt after work. More rain coming our way unfortunately in PA.

He actually called me today, said I’m free to take what I want. There’s no public place to scrounge around here so getting permission is a must. I got stopped by the township police last time I loaded up a few rounds sitting on the side of the road.

I used to get a TON of wood off of Craigslist/Facebook for free but now it seems it gets scooped up super fast.

Wow.

The police around here would thank me for cleaning up the side of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.

The police around here would thank me for cleaning up the side of the road.

Crazy, right???

The utility companies do a lot of maintenance and just leave rounds to rot. I now ask permission to remove when they come through. To me, it seems like I’m doing them a favor by cleaning up their mess.

Crazy, right???

The utility companies do a lot of maintenance and just leave rounds to rot. I do ask permission to remove when they come through. To me, it seems like I’m doing them a favor by cleaning up their mess.

Around here the only time you ask permission is if its in front of someones house. Incase they want it. Otherwise you just take what you want. Like a honey badger.
Its amazing how different regions do this

24e155e8edd86edf2d5089bed701da62.jpg

Passed a guy clearing power lines today. Left a neat stack of oak on city owned land. Probably go in the city burn pile. If I had the truck I woulda grabbed it but it's parked for the winter.

You worried about rust?

Fluid Film is your friend. Keep (and drive) a truck in the salt belt for a lifetime with no rust.

Yeah it's a 96 with almost 25k on it. Waiting for it to break in..

really!? that's amazing. I have heard of older Ferraris and other high end noteables with such low mileage. if you get a chance, maybe post up a pix of it. rare for such a vehicle to have that kinda of mileage.

Went out the other day and helped a mate cut some wood for one of his customers and also cut a load of peppermint for myself.

04zEBWph.jpg

vtxzhDGh.jpg

does the axe in the pix mean u intend to hand split that? I have not heard of peppermint wood. peppermint candy canes. and I have peppermint in my herb garden. does it have a peppermint smell to it at all? wondering...

Latest posts

Back