Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a cancellation today, so got to play with the 462 some more, just love it with a 20" bar.
Cut up some of the Black Walnut (pictured), and some Black Cherry (not pictured).
A neighbor with a the Black Cherry actually called to me when I was out there cutting up the Black Walnut.
Said if I cut it up, I could leave it there and get it in the Spring … Done!

good pix, MM... can't miss it right there in the center... a stand out! pun intended! :)

Boy do I hate cleaning the small limbs up from a tree like that. PITA

lol! I hate clean ups, too... but if you intend to scrounge in the city, and not go more than a few feet... you have to take what comes your way... ;) after all oak is oak. and every bit burns nicely, well... that has been my exp.

today's local scrounge. just a few houses down the street. now here is the rouge. some guys scrounge forests. lol. some fields. some just trees. all are important. my scrounge today is important, too. just on the bit smaller side of the scale. a part of an oak tree, a limb or two... and a very important ingredient to all of my fires... kindling! oak kindling :)

in the pix is just over 90 pcs of oak. this is not wood split into stix. but still very important. you see, it goes on right after the paper, pine needles, small kindling. then this. usually about 5 or so. teepee shape. this wood helps make the hot oak coals, I add in some a bit bigger, too... the hot oak coals that lite off the firewood stix...

so, since I use 5 or so of this size stuff... and over 90 pcs... and I was about out, too... that means I have the interim bits for another... 18 daily camp fires! :D and to me, that is both significant and important. if another limb just like it comes down, down the street... I will go get it, too. I keep between 1 and 2 cords around the place... firewood stix size.

an important ingredient for daily campfires... scrounged today, free oak!
P7160002.JPG P7160003.JPG P7160004.JPG

I even like to scrounge a bit of old cedar fence now n then, too. here is some I decided to cut up today. laying around and I need some more cedar kindling. so I will get a camp axe, one of 4 or 5 or so I have... and hand split this into square kindling stix. dried and on top of the pine needles... the camp fire always starts with an extra oomph! of gusto when fresh dried old cedar made into kindling is on scene. :rock:

scrounged cedar kindling to be split... in productionP7160005.JPG

Do you guys get alot of snow? We normally have wet winters and all the stuff out there is soaked. The stuff on my fence line is sun/wind all day all year. I cant really tell if its just water on the surface or if its wet all the way through.

we don't, but the tv weatherman said today... that the next cold blast... just a couple days out... later this week... just might bring in some snow flurries to Austin, TX... uh-huh! :popcorn2:

I always had my wood outside, but I would fill two log hoops inside near the stove, would burn from one to dry the other, then when it was empty, re fill it and start burning from the other hoop. That way it always dries a little before going into the stove.

I have firewood outside, exposed... outside and in wood shed... and inside barn up at farm... what do I like the best? for indoor fireplaces... dry oak. for mr Brutus and outside on a cold day... the firewood sitting outside, exposed. wet, damp... and makes great smoke!!! lots of it, too! lol ;) :laughing:

:givebeer: later on today...

My buddy had this in his shed for 2 yrs - has some kinda fungus that bothers his family when they burn it inside - so iI grabbed it and will burn it in the out door burner ! Score ! Its in my 14x7 dump - I figure just a bit over a cord View attachment 701640

I like wood like that to burn outdoors, too...

I always found that Black Cherry seems to produce more heat than the BTU rating would indicate, and coals up nicely. Just be careful in a fire place, it pops!

so will cedar, but it sure is hot. I use it outside as bumps... if n when a stix seems too loose interest... I stuff in some cedar stix... that usually wakes things up and gets the show back on the road...

I had to catch up with Pioneerguy600
I found him
XpL3GKz.jpg

Today we cut some dead standing and dead top stuff close to the road
sqT2WD9.jpg
jdBp2zH.jpg
CXeqAxj.jpg

We even did our part to feed deer and rabbits :)
MfQTHFK.jpg

We both had a go at being Donk
FFssOnp.jpg
1t6zsJF.jpg

4ZhGVTH.jpg

0mVfZUK.jpg
wB8dMCR.jpg

MBPSxgR.jpg

The pile continues to grow , it was a great afternoon :)

good pix! thanks for posting. enjoyed seeing it all. especially that in the woods and in the pick up... :)

Glad you guys brought that up. I'm out of "dry" wood in the shed. The rest of the stuff I have is outside exposed to all the elements and has only been there since spring. Cherry, hackberry, oak and some ash. Supposed to rain here most of the week. Do any of you pull wood strait off the stack outside thats only been out a year and burn it? I put stuff next to the stove to warm up and dry out but I dont think I can dry wood fast enough like that. Should I just give up and turn the furnace on?

what about the hackberry wood?

how does the hackberry burn? I note some use it as a firewood, but some references called it a soft(er) wood. do you like it? burn it inside or outside. I am asking because there is a lot avail across town free if I want to go get some. or resonalble delivery fee if I want what is about 5/6 cords. clean limbs, trunks, uncut and of course... unsplit! ;)

I've got oak on next years rack that's only been split/stacked for a year or a little less I wouldn't hesitate to burn it. We did it for years and never had a problem. I don't have a wood shed my wood sit on racks out in the elements all the time. View attachment 712611

nice JM - looks good! :)

what about the hackberry wood?

how does the hackberry burn? I note some use it as a firewood, but some references called it a soft(er) wood. do you like it? burn it inside or outside. I am asking because there is a lot avail across town free if I want to go get some. or resonalble delivery fee if I want what is about 5/6 cords. clean limbs, trunks, uncut and of course... unsplit! ;)
Hackberry burns okay. Definitely not a softer wood. A little tough to split but usually seasons fairly quick.

Hackberry burns okay. Definitely not a softer wood. A little tough to split but usually seasons fairly quick.

tough to split as in the chunk wont give in? or tough as in the wood splits but wont separate easily? stringers, etc?

Glad you guys brought that up. I'm out of "dry" wood in the shed. The rest of the stuff I have is outside exposed to all the elements and has only been there since spring. Cherry, hackberry, oak and some ash. Supposed to rain here most of the week. Do any of you pull wood strait off the stack outside thats only been out a year and burn it? I put stuff next to the stove to warm up and dry out but I dont think I can dry wood fast enough like that. Should I just give up and turn the furnace on?
We’ve been behind on our firewood for 3 winters. Life happens. We do the same, I bring 5+ days worth inside at a time from the woodshed. After a few days by the wood stove, the stuff is much more dry.

Hopefully next winter is a better winter for us.

So I have some standing dead Maple that are in the bottom of the slough/gully. Tall few branches nice to work with.

But... They seem to be infested with powder beetles. I cut some last year and it was 1st in last out. Was like handling flour bags and my fear was infesting the wood shed.

Is there a way to kill them? My guess is best leave em to the wood peckers...

Latest posts

Back