Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got oak on next years rack that's only been split/stacked for a year or a little less I wouldn't hesitate to burn it. We did it for years and never had a problem. I don't have a wood shed my wood sit on racks out in the elements all the time. View attachment 712611
Do you guys get alot of snow? We normally have wet winters and all the stuff out there is soaked. The stuff on my fence line is sun/wind all day all year. I cant really tell if its just water on the surface or if its wet all the way through.

If wood is stacked early (like may) in full sun and wind, then put under cover in the fall, it should be good. Some wood likes longer to dry. If you whack two splits together and it "rings" like a couple baseball bats knocked together, the wood is dry. If it makes more of a dull thud, it's not. Ash will dry about the fastest of all the woods around here. If you can stage wood near the stove, it will speed up the process. It doesn't need to be super close, just near by. The stove will suck the moisture out of it. Since your stove is in the basement, I would be stacking whatever I could inside.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Iv NEVER stacked wood inside. My wood piles live at my woods line all year and they are a home for to many bugs that would be brought in the warm basement and brought out of hibernation.

Goes right in the stove.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iv NEVER stacked wood inside. My wood piles live at my woods line all year and they are a home for to many bugs that would be brought in the warm basement and brought out of hibernation.

Goes right in the stove.

JMO

Me either however my stove is upstairs on the main level. I stack on a fence line at the back of my place until fall, where it moves up under my deck, which has tin underneath. Then I stage it next to the door by the stove. Inside and burn.
That being said, if my stove was in my basement, And, I was running low on ready to burn wood. I would be socking it away as close to the stove as I felt comfortable (and I'm a cautious guy). Some ant traps and bug spray can take care of any creepy crawlies cheaper than propane or electricity.

I get a lot of snow but as long as it's freezing outside, the wood doesn't get too wet. Usually knock it off and set beside the stove tonight and burn tomorrow.
Aside from an old farmhouse with board floors upstairs and an open stairwell, it's hard to effectively heat two levels with a stove.

Looking south off 21 from Ionia to Ada will make you cry if you're a scrounger.
I do the portion between Lowell and Ada on a normal basis, then also the other side of the river on Grand River, we live just south of Lowell on the upper portion of the river valley so you know I cry often and a lot :cry:.

I had to catch up with Pioneerguy600
I found him
XpL3GKz.jpg

Today we cut some dead standing and dead top stuff close to the road
sqT2WD9.jpg
jdBp2zH.jpg
CXeqAxj.jpg

We even did our part to feed deer and rabbits :)
MfQTHFK.jpg

We both had a go at being Donk
FFssOnp.jpg
1t6zsJF.jpg

4ZhGVTH.jpg

0mVfZUK.jpg
wB8dMCR.jpg

MBPSxgR.jpg

The pile continues to grow , it was a great afternoon :)
Looking good Dan. Is that @zogger wood on the truck?

Glad you guys brought that up. I'm out of "dry" wood in the shed. The rest of the stuff I have is outside exposed to all the elements and has only been there since spring. Cherry, hackberry, oak and some ash. Supposed to rain here most of the week. Do any of you pull wood strait off the stack outside thats only been out a year and burn it? I put stuff next to the stove to warm up and dry out but I dont think I can dry wood fast enough like that. Should I just give up and turn the furnace on?
Dig out the ash and maybe the cherry. should be good to go.

Do you guys get alot of snow? We normally have wet winters and all the stuff out there is soaked. The stuff on my fence line is sun/wind all day all year. I cant really tell if its just water on the surface or if its wet all the way through.
We haven't had much snow this year but we did have near 70" of rain. 20181218_132933.jpg My FIL has burned off this rack since it got really cold and snowed. Only thing I've pulled out of what he has got off it was some locust I left in rounds. The oak is fine and it's only been up 9 months to a year.

Your best bet is to try a few pieces of what you say might not be ready before you run out of good stuff. See how it burns and then make a call on weather it's time to turn the furnace up or keep burning.

What wood I have now has been cut for about a year. It was bucked about 6 months ago and split shortly after. Some of the wood has been cut and bucked for about 2 years. Some of it is under my shed, some stacked outside the shed and some still in a pile. It just been to wet and muddy to fool with. What I have been doing is filling my little racks in my basement from wood in the piles. I roll the racks next to the stove and turn a fan on to blow thru it. It takes about 2 days to dry the wood out, but it does dry. My racks are about 6ft long and I stack it about 4ft high, so a little less than a face cord. 1202181042.jpg This will last me a week in the cold weather, I let the fire die out yesterday and probably wont fire it back up until the daytime highs get back down below 40f. I suspect that if the wood was green and fresh cut, it would take a little longer to dry. I have one rack in my basement that has been split for over two years. Sort of saving it for some dumb reason. It works awful well getting a fire started, but it burns hot and fast. Bugs dont seem to be a problem, but I do remember once I had a brood of praying mattis hatch out. Had to take the vaccum cleaner and suck them up as they where crawling all over the house.

What wood I have now has been cut for about a year. It was bucked about 6 months ago and split shortly after. Some of the wood has been cut and bucked for about 2 years. Some of it is under my shed, some stacked outside the shed and some still in a pile. It just been to wet and muddy to fool with. What I have been doing is filling my little racks in my basement from wood in the piles. I roll the racks next to the stove and turn a fan on to blow thru it. It takes about 2 days to dry the wood out, but it does dry. My racks are about 6ft long and I stack it about 4ft high, so a little less than a face cord. View attachment 712688 This will last me a week in the cold weather, I let the fire die out yesterday and probably wont fire it back up until the daytime highs get back down below 40f. I suspect that if the wood was green and fresh cut, it would take a little longer to dry. I have one rack in my basement that has been split for over two years. Sort of saving it for some dumb reason. It works awful well getting a fire started, but it burns hot and fast. Bugs dont seem to be a problem, but I do remember once I had a brood of praying mattis hatch out. Had to take the vaccum cleaner and suck them up as they where crawling all over the house.

Wait...?

You vacuumed up a hatching of praying mantis?

Well if you missed some the remainder will devour the bug population in you basement.

By by spiders

I want a handful of praying manits in MY basement.[emoji3525]

I dont see any bugs in my basement. We bought one of those sound emitting bug things that you leave plugged in. You dont hear it and most of the time I dont even think about it, but it must be working. My praying mantis problem was years ago in my first house and it didnt have a basement. They where in the living room crawling on the wall, ceilings and furniture. Wife was having kanipshits fits. I thought it was funny, her not so much.

TYVM! Staying out of the wind is huge. That's why the landing / splitting area got moved down into a swale a few years back. Single digits on a sunny day and I'm down to a sweatshirt over a wicking layer when working.

Built completely out of the angle iron from an old metal bed frame, a bit of left over aluminum sheet from a solar panel build, and the window from an old storm door. It might be warm enought this weekend to paint it blue! Even has a little dahboard area for coffee cup and wifi speaker ;)
View attachment 701285

our kind'a guy!! :clap:

good job sq1... I like it!! :) has that early model T look to it... slants back but is parallel uprights. all it needs now is a pair of wind wings... :yes:

close counts in custom fabs, too...
zww.jpg

Latest posts

Back