Leaky flippy caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I had my first taste of flippy caps.
They seem to hold just fine until you rev it up, and then they start spurting gas all over.
Nothing inside the o-ring, or around the cap

Do I need a new cap or a new o-ring?

They seem to hold just fine until you rev it up, and then they start spurting gas all over.

Years ago when they came out with those caps, I found a way to fix the cap I was having trouble with.
Gently file the outside edges of the 3 cleats or bumps at the end of the cap that goes in the tank. Maybe just a mm off each bump.

If the cap has swelled, these get caught before the cap is fully twisted in place.

If the cap stops spinning then the o-ring gets pulled in but it’s not right and will leak.

This may not be your exact issue, but if it is... this may fix it.

Here is the post-sorry my photo isn’t there now.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-answer-for-the-flipcap-problem.130186/

I was very displeased with my Flippy Caps when I first got my MS260. But now that I have figured them out and gotten over being mad at them...they're kinda nice...except when my oil cap leaks. Overall, I am pleased. Very easy to use!

Good to know. I just got a new gasket set oil and gas for $4 and that solved my problem, but if it returns that is a cheap option for OEM

Many times the flippy can be fixed with a new O-ring. Lsss than a buck from some dealers and I have even matched them up at Menards.

Back