MS 291 gas cap leaking...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've had it for years and it's been great. I don't know if the O ring needs replaced, it looks good but could it be swollen?. I also notice the cap lock seems to be stuck and hard to shut.

I've had my oring get dry enough it doesn't move and seal so gas is pouring out. I take the oring out and grease it than put it back on and it always seems to fix it.

With the cap being hard to close my vote is to spring for new cap. I was in similar boat with leaking MS250 oil cap. I bought new o-ring only to have cap mechanism plastic break the next day. I bought 2 new caps (fuel and oil) for $18.44 + $4.30 shipping and my problems were solved.

Clean the threads and replace the o-ring with something made of oil/fuel resistant like Buna. Sometimes I get a leak on the oil cap and have found some sawdust on either the threads or the actual o-ring itself. It usually solves the issue for me and if that fails a new cap is in order. I keep an entire kit of o-rings in both metric and imperial plus I have a kit that I can make my own custom if needed.

Latest posts

Back