Ported saws in Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey my name is Greg I have been porting saws for a few years I live in Brockville Ontario,Canada if you have questions or want to get some woods porting done, I can certainly fix you up!

Just skimming through this quickly as I don't have my glasses.

I know what its like to be off the grid with 'your' wife and 'things' become so telegraphed and you realize man can not live on bread alone.
Your new years resolution becomes "I don't 'want more' ..I just want more of them to do it with. Then you find yourself taking it out on your chainsaw because 'it's' not working as it should
anymore.

Then next thing you start looking for 'Pros' on Kijiji or CL.?

If you are going to be off the grid then just pace yourself in everything you do.
Sure? I still want a more powerful saw than my MS250 though. I was fine buying a 291 until all these new words popped up. Why the beef?

"And sometimes 'words' have two meanings"

No beef. Just a little comedy and a measage in a bottle.
--------------------------------
on topic here.
Sounds silly to spend money to port a very small saw.

Did I just feel the world tilt a little, wooooaaaaa.

You are very wrong my friend. I run more saws and ported saws then you ever will.
The one you may use was something wrong. The 460 is better then 660.....
At the GTG I run my 460, some guys from here did to, they can say how the 460 run and is not ported.
Talking by ported saw....they run better after ported but don't hold for long time, they will get destroy in no time.
LOL, LOL, LOL, Doc AL knows chainsaws and a 660 will easily outrun a 460 unless there is something amiss, ported saws often last LONGER than stock saws as they breathe better and often cooler.

This suppose to be a thread to help out one member in making decision to buy his next saw.
Everything went well before a Hill Billy steps in calling name just for fun.
You lucky I'm not Staff here.You ass would be banned for good.
You right for one thing, to stay away from this site.
Have a nice day.

LOL, LOL, LOL, Doc AL knows chainsaws and a 660 will easily outrun a 460 unless there is something amiss, ported saws often last LONGER than stock saws as they breathe better and often cooler.
Don't think that is what he is saying at all? He is saying Stihl never utilized 'gains' of the 660 compared to the 460. Nothing wrong with a stock 460 at all? Lots of power and torque to 'power through a closing cut. A broken in 460 would likely spank a new 660 with out doubt anyway. I had a faylling partner through a long winter of mountain pine beetle; blocking up pines and burning them. He had a 460 stock and I, ported 372's?

His saw could muscle through closing cuts like nothing. That's stock.

Doc is crazy! J/k but...

The longer lasting 'ting? IKD. You bring up good points. Stock or ported I would recover the top end and move on to a new saw at the same time.

when you buy the book new,, this is one exception we ALWAYS
should 'judge the book by the cover'.

You are very wrong my friend. I run more saws and ported saws then you ever will.
The one you may use was something wrong. The 460 is better then 660.....
At the GTG I run my 460, some guys from here did to, they can say how the 460 run and is not ported.
Talking by ported saw....they run better after ported but don't hold for long time, they will get destroy in no time.
Gugi, I think you took what I said wrong. No insult was intended, my apologies.

For everyone here, Gugi and I have spoken and he is a damn good fella.

Ported saws are gonna give up some of the many things the OEM needs to engineer in, Durability/Noise/Emissions/Reliability/Fuel economy. We don’t worry about those as much, but we trade one or a few of the above for better performance.

Ported saws can be a race port, where they will never last for a day in the woods, or a woods port where they are every bit as reliable as a stock saw.

Ported saws need to be tailored to what the owner will use them for. A milling saw that is “ported” will last longer than a stock saw because of better heat transfer. I wouldn’t build the same saw for milling as I would for cutting a 10 x 10 poplar cant.

There is no replacement for displacement period. Some saws are known for great power vs. weight ratio. In stock form, the MS460 isn’t one of them. They are listed at 6hp stock and have a terribly choked up muffler.

One of my 026 beat a new MS660 through a 10” log at a county fair and won the ribbon. Does that mean it would beat that MS660 through a 36” log, absolutely not. Larger displacement saws nearly always will have more torque and nearly always will pull ahead of smaller saws with more bar and chain.

I guess my summary is that a saw that is built custom tailored to one’s needs shouldn’t have any reliability issues and should give more Smiles per gallon. It should make the work faster and more enjoyable. I’m still waiting to see a woods ported saw fall apart. If it’s done correctly it should last just as long, if not longer, than a stock oem saw. I’ll add that some ported saws can actually get the same or better fuel economy. It happens with many of the 026 I build and it’s still a head scratcher. I guess it’s more efficient burn.

Back