Bad day 660 Blue Thunder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar rat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On the 3rd tank of gas om the 660 blue thunder, we drive up the hill to cut wood and discover pull start feels froze up. Strip off the top end to find the wrist pin hanging into a port! No wrist pin clip any where in the saw. they never installed one.

Now here's where things get strange, no damage was done, the bumpy ride must have rattled the wrist pin out of place and the pull start was pulled gently, looking for the compression point.

Fixed and started fine, then we broke off the bar stud adjusting the chain.

Lol's all I can say is, oh well.

The saws we have assembled have not had any problems, still making lots of shavings. :)

Could have been way worse, lol. What are the odds of wrist pin coming out into a port when it's not running!?

Could have been way worse, lol. What are the odds of wrist pin coming out into a port when it's not running!?

Absolutely amazed that the saw was not blown up or damaged.

This saw had a sliced oil line and the pump was sucking air in, so oiler problems from day one. Old set of cases saves the day with an old oem stihl oil line.

Got that fixed and cut a few cookies, all seems fine, then when going out for a load this wrist pin clip mishap, then the bar stud.

We got awful durn lucky, now I know to pull the top end and give a it once over before running these blue thunder saws.

On the kits I have done, I use OEM piston pin bearings and OEM clips, cheap insurance, as those seem to be weak points with the kits.

Good point, we know stihl rod bearing last decades and the stihl clips seem to be higher tension, not as flimsy as China clips.

Blue Thunder 660 is a bit of a disappointment, we're lucky it even still runs.

Back