Strange things with my woodland pro chain????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I filed my newish loop of WP full chisel 3/8" chain today I noticed something strange. Some of the rakers were WAY harder than others and WAY harder than the cutters. I have filed the cutters about four times now on this loop and thought it was about time to take a quick swipe at the rakers. First few were normal then the next and about 7 or 8 others in the loop were much much harder than the rest, to the point that they left big shiny grooves in my flat file. It seemed very strange to me because in the few times I have filed my cutters I have not noticed any variation in hardness. I don't have pictures but my neighbor Jason (WoodChucker81) was there and saw the file. Have any of you guys run into this situation before?

I know if I file mine from the outside in they are real hard and won't hardly take anything off. If I go inside out they file off fine.

i dont have any woodland pro chain but i have been doing some sharpening today on some stihl and oregon chain and i think the oregon chain is harder then stihl chain. seems like the stihl chain is much quicker to sharpen.

pretty much just movin you back to the top

I know if I file mine from the outside in they are real hard and won't hardly take anything off. If I go inside out they file off fine.

I thought that might be it, as I have had that experience before, but it didn't matter which side I came from they were still harder than my Pferd flat file.

i dont have any woodland pro chain but i have been doing some sharpening today on some stihl and oregon chain and i think the oregon chain is harder then stihl chain. seems like the stihl chain is much quicker to sharpen.

pretty much just movin you back to the top

:cheers:

I've experienced similiar on Stihl chain, but I believe it was from getting them hot grinding them.

I've also found that they file much easier from the inside out.

Try the Save Edge files. I think they cut better than the Pferd.

that was just my observation between stihl and oregon lgx. both chains were in good shape. maybe a few seconds on the stihl to get it perfect again and twice that on the oregon.

they chatter like crazy from the outside in not worth realy even tryn that way.

i use MAC files probly made somewhere in japan or china. theyve held up great chamfering steel and dropn rakers. they just need wire brushed everyounce in awhile to clean them out

Last edited:
File all the rakers inside-outside, and the problem most likely disappears.

I'll give it another shot from the inside out, but as I mentioned above, I tried that on the rakers in question to no avail. Maybe my file was already shot when I tried flipping the saw around.LOL

I've experienced similiar on Stihl chain, but I believe it was from getting them hot grinding them.

I've also found that they file much easier from the inside out.

Try the Save Edge files
. I think they cut better than the Pferd.

I am going to try them when I order my next box. They are made right down there near Cincinnati arn't they? Do you get yours through Bailey's or do you buy them locally where they are made?

As I filed my newish loop of WP full chisel 3/8" chain today I noticed something strange. Some of the rakers were WAY harder than others and WAY harder than the cutters. I have filed the cutters about four times now on this loop and thought it was about time to take a quick swipe at the rakers. First few were normal then the next and about 7 or 8 others in the loop were much much harder than the rest, to the point that they left big shiny grooves in my flat file. It seemed very strange to me because in the few times I have filed my cutters I have not noticed any variation in hardness. I don't have pictures but my neighbor Jason (WoodChucker81) was there and he saw the file. Have any of you guys run into this situation before?

Yeah it was really weird. I've never seen chain do that to a file before. Unless you got their special limited diamond coated chain - "WoodBling Pro".

:laugh:

I noticed the same thing with a carlton chain and may have posted something about it. Its been a while back, more than a year ago but best I remember it was 4-5 cutters and rakers a file would'nt touch. The chain was on a saw I bought but it did'nt seem to be a problem caused by grinding.

Chrome

I have had this happen with the Carlton chain as well, and in my experience it was from the depth gauge being chromed. If you bump the raker with a grinder to just break through the chrome on the tip, it will file just fine after that. Otherwise all you accomplish is to wreck your flat file.

My .02

I know I should know this, but can someone please explain inside to outside? I'm assuming it's the same direction you file the cutters, from the back to the front point if that makes sense...

So the inside is the sharp cut side of the cutter and the outside is the long closed end of the cutter, right? See my crude pictorial below...

Inside 7 Outside

I know I should know this, but can someone please explain inside to outside? I'm assuming it's the same direction you file the cutters, from the back to the front point if that makes sense...

So the inside is the sharp cut side of the cutter and the outside is the long closed end of the cutter, right? See my crude pictorial below...

Inside 7 Outside

Correct! Nice pictorial!!!

I file the left side rakers from the right side to the left. I file the right side rakers from the left side.

For some reason I think there harder on the outer side.

Back