New to me Shinny 695

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Adams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So a guy I work with went back to Maine for vacation. He brought back his late uncles two saws. Hes keeping the Jonsereds 670 Champ. It runs as it should with no issues. Nice saw.
He passed the Shinny on to me. He dumped out the old mix and put in some fresh. It tries to start on choke, but I can tell it's gonna need a good carb cleaning. I can smell the old gas. Feels to have good compression, but I'm out of town still and cant get to the compression tester. Chain brake flag is missing, but the arm attached to the clutch cover and all internals are there. Bar is pretty rough. Looks like the nose sprocket locked down and split in half. Oregon Powermatch bar. Hoping that doesnt mean an oiler problem. Its pretty filthy and seems to have seen a lot of use, but felt compression and its attempt to start gives me some hope.
Havent had time to take any pics yet.
Just wondering who has used one, and any opinions. I already have a 70 cc Mac, so this saw isnt needed really. It does look to be well made, so I thought it might be worth messing with.

Ok, can we talk about it now?
Got a few minutes to look it over after work today.
Pretty filthy on the outside. Guy apparently sawed off the chain brake flag.
0725191803.jpg
Pulled the filter and carb. Fuel lune melted at the tank.
Pulled spark plug. Checked compression. Blowing 135 psi. Not bad. It did run a bit on a prime.
Said id go ahead and pull the muffler, at least to clean the gunk put from under it. Glad I did....0728191807a.jpg 0728191807.jpg 0728191808.jpg 0728191808a.jpg
Looks like carbon in the exhaust port got that side of the piston. Cant even see the port chamfer. Probably same on the intake side. Lines up with top ring groove.
I think the cylinder may clean up. It needs a little money spent to get it going. Not sure if I want to invest that much. Needs bar and chain, definitely piston kit, fuel line, carb kit, impulse line, probably crank seals, and a chain brake flag.
Might be more than its worth, and ive already got a PM700, so no real need for it.
How hard are parts to find, and are they spendy? Havent even looked yet.

Pistons for that saw are non existent. I made one once out of a 372 piston. Turned it down to size. Didn’t really work out. My buddy is suppose to be grafting a 372 top end on to his. Just for fun...

Hard saws to port also. Domed cylinder and short skirts.

For some reason, the few Shindaiwa guys I’ve talked to really like the 695s. I’ve got one in my collection, but I haven’t run it much.
I did pull out an old 680 this year (which is similar to the 695) and have put some time on it. It will handle a 24” bar and flat rips with 20” setup.
I’ve gotten a lot of parts from Partstree and E-Replacement parts and have gotten used parts from Chainsawr.com.
I just took a look and it shows Partstree has the piston and the chain brake flag.
I’ve got no complaints about the 695. The reason I don’t run it much is because I have a pretty good collection of Shindaiwa saws so it’s hard to give them all a lot of time on the woodpile.
I’ve also taken a liking to the 577 for the 20” stuff and love to run the bigger 757 for the 24” stuff.
As you have seen, the Shindaiwa fuel lines turn to mush after a while. I haven’t had issues if I drain the fuel before letting them sit too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back