Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 750881 Finally got the last of that white oak. I seriously believe I got enough wood out of this one tree I can heat the house for the entire winter of 2021.

View attachment 750920 My previous post of the 4 big rounds plus this, including the 4 rows in back from right to left, all from that white oak.
That was a nice tree!

That winch set up was sweet for getting those monsters on.
Looked like it worked great!

Ugh. Tie rod end, wheel bearing, alignment, and fuel sending unit on wife’s suburban today. Guess I didn’t need that thousand bucks :rare2:
I rebuilt the turbo, did trans mounts, exhaust, among other things on my toy. Tires will be $1k next week! Did a bunch of desiring and undoing previous owner modifications...

I did actually drive it today! That put a smile on my face you wouldn't believe! Nothing beats an old Cummins!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
9802153a7c4db0fb2100450548f2ef84.jpg
7c7491d973f9680a713eee77ff47d36f.jpg
2a4530d95fad802ad5f0d4ae4b66dfd3.jpg

I rebuilt the turbo, did trans mounts, exhaust, among other things on my toy. Tires will be $1k next week! Did a bunch of desiring and undoing previous owner modifications...

I did actually drive it today! That put a smile on my face you wouldn't believe! Nothing beats an old Cummins!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
9802153a7c4db0fb2100450548f2ef84.jpg
7c7491d973f9680a713eee77ff47d36f.jpg
2a4530d95fad802ad5f0d4ae4b66dfd3.jpg
HX35? We used to pull them at the junk yard and stick them on the AWD DSMs. Capable of the same power as a garret gt35r with a little slower spool time and dirt cheap in comparison.

I have a knack for finding good used wheels and tires so except for the case of a couple roadside emergencies where we bought a new tire along a road trip I haven’t bought any new tires in a couple years. It’s the other repairs beyond my expertise that kill me. We just bought a real nice set of aluminum GM take off wheels that had never seen salt with 3 usable tires and one that needed replacing for $120 for the suburban. Found 5 tires (one to go in to the current set and four really nice deep lug ones to put on after this set is worn) for $100.

Also found a set of four 8 lug aluminum GM wheels with 2 nice tires for my 3/4 ton for $50. The two will go on right before plowing season and I have one other good tire so just need one more.

It’s funny because up here everyone thinks take off wheels go for big bucks and they sit on marketplace for weeks. The 1/2 ton set I bought was for sale for over a month and since the guy who listed was the grandson of the actual seller, you had to actually CALL the guy to arrange a time. Apparently that’s too much work for the younger folks who only text lol. Their loss is my gain though.

I have a knack for finding good used wheels and tires so except for the case of a couple roadside emergencies where we bought a new tire along a road trip I haven’t bought any new tires in a couple years. It’s the other repairs beyond my expertise that kill me. We just bought a real nice set of aluminum GM take off wheels that had never seen salt with 3 usable tires and one that needed replacing for $120 for the suburban. Found 5 tires (one to go in to the current set and four really nice deep lug ones to put on after this set is worn) for $100.

Also found a set of four 8 lug aluminum GM wheels with 2 nice tires for my 3/4 ton for $50. The two will go on right before plowing season and I have one other good tire so just need one more.

It’s funny because up here everyone thinks take off wheels go for big bucks and they sit on marketplace for weeks. The 1/2 ton set I bought was for sale for over a month and since the guy who listed was the grandson of the actual seller, you had to actually CALL the guy to arrange a time. Apparently that’s too much work for the younger folks who only text lol. Their loss is my gain though.
Yeah, you don't find many 315x75r16s as takeoffs...

I used to find take off wheels and tires from the Dodge forums, guys would practically give new tires and wheels away because nobody wanted the smaller sizes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t know if everyone remembers his employment but he lives in a civil war era home on a big chunk of land owned by someone else. He tends cattle and maintains the property in trade for a small salary and use of the home. Sounds as though the owner has been very good to work through this but if treatment extends perhaps we may want to look at doing a benefit for him?

I don't think anybody would be opposed to setting up the benefit as soon as possible.

I've always enjoyed his posts, I'm sure there's plenty of others who feel the same. Hopefully it makes his day.

Yeah, you don't find many 315x75r16s as takeoffs...

I used to find take off wheels and tires from the Dodge forums, guys would practically give new tires and wheels away because nobody wanted the smaller sizes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I actually did see some nice 315’s for sale around here but think they were 18” rims.

I am a pretty fair cook and ribs are something I do well. Tonight I decided to put a few little splits of apple wood in the grill. The original plan was to burn that apple for heat but I think a good portion of it will be set aside for the BBQ!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

been blackberry scrounging! Its gonna be a bumper crop by the looks and here in London they are go go GO! I just spent an hour and a bit picking loads in the local park with my 2yo and 4yo….big bag full brought home and the two girls ate as many as i bagged! I’m not looking forward to the 2yo’s nappy later…..more reason to start the potty training this week i feel. I've not collect any wood in a over a month if not 6 weeks now though. I've been exting my wood guy, just not been much to get. Partly me being more picky and with over 2 years supply CSS I can be, and partly he just hasn't been taking much out of late, just lots of small pruning jobs. Still, he knows i'm here and looks after me so sooner or later he'll be bound to drop some monster oakzilla or other nice hardwood again.....but I'm gettng withdrawals :eek::crazy2::eek:

my pine stack was getting low. had the cutter set aside some pine for me... as we cut up the large widow maker that fell other day in my yard... right where I was working only a few hours ago... and had planned to also do that morning. fate was on my side... I don't burn pine often, but like to keep a stick or two of it out of tradition... as no doubt those early pioneers crossing the rockies and traveling the high cascades... burned some pine. cooking, warming, clearing... and scrounging! before:View attachment 743293 after:View attachment 743294

now have this to add to it, but haven't yet... soon though. :D
PC220021.JPG

HEY, I just passed a really nice looking 1st Gen Dodge dually, club cab, white. I’ll go by it in the morning, any one want me to stop and get the info? Oh, it’s for sale. From the road the paint looked good, saw no rust, can take pics tomorrow if any one is interested. In the Frederick MD area.

Latest posts

Back