Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have saws old enough they call for 16:1, run every thing on Synthetic at 50:1, even the milling saws. I think I just found my next saw. Went over my shooting buddy’s apartment to help take down some dead Ash trees. Was showing his landlord pics of my saws. He said he had one old saw under his work bench, a Sachs-Dolmar KMS4. If you don’t know what it is, look it up. It’s a gem. Acres calls it a 3 cylinder. Wonder what oil it takes?

My only comment on the oil thing is that I noted a noticeable drop in power when I mixed 40:1 in my ms391 using Stihl synthetic.

Just something I noted...I've owned the saw since new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Was that instead of 50:1? Or, do you think it's the Stihl oil? Might be a tuning issue. That's one of the reasons I run everything on the same mix. I hate tuning saws.

Who needs a gym membership?
I have often wondered this. Why would anybody pay somebody else to lift somebody else's weights up and down over and over? If they took all the time, energy and money they spent at the gym and put it to something constructive they could have single-handedly cut, framed and built an entire house out of trees that were already dead. Then after they make themselves feel like they did something, after they are done "pumping iron" they go home, sit in front of the tv, open a 6 pack and eat. Which completely defeats the whole purpose of going to the gym in the first place, then start the whole cycle over.

Was that instead of 50:1? Or, do you think it's the Stihl oil? Might be a tuning issue. That's one of the reasons I run everything on the same mix. I hate tuning saws.
That was compared to 50:1, and that saw has only ever had premium gas and Stihl Ultra HP...I never touched the tuning.

I have often wondered this. Why would anybody pay somebody else to lift somebody else's weights up and down over and over? If they took all the time, energy and money they spent at the gym and put it to something constructive they could have single-handedly cut, framed and built an entire house out of trees that were already dead. Then after they make themselves feel like they did something, after they are done "pumping iron" they go home, sit in front of the tv, open a 6 pack and eat. Which completely defeats the whole purpose of going to the gym in the first place, then start the whole cycle over.
Maybe you misunderstand why many go to the gym lol:muscle:.

That was compared to 50:1, and that saw has only ever had premium gas and Stihl Ultra HP...I never touched the tuning.

That would make sense as Joe said the saw must be retuned if you change the mix ratio, that is if you want max performance.

I have saws old enough they call for 16:1, run every thing on Synthetic at 50:1, even the milling saws. I think I just found my next saw. Went over my shooting buddy’s apartment to help take down some dead Ash trees. Was showing his landlord pics of my saws. He said he had one old saw under his work bench, a Sachs-Dolmar KMS4. If you don’t know what it is, look it up. It’s a gem. Acres calls it a 3 cylinder. Wonder what oil it takes?
Thats an incredible find.
I'm not into old saws, and I've refused to take many that folks have offered to give me, but that would be one I'd keep.
Congrats on a holy grail type find :happy:.

Yep I might be scrounging-working for food too, I’m afraid my granddaughter maxed out my credit card...View attachment 752197I like your idea of riding the log out of the woods btw:yes:
I’m off to sell a load of wood to buy food...
Thats awesome.
Maybe you can strap her car seat onto the logs :surprised3:, she could hold your phone for some videos :picture::lol:.

What about that diesel saw? Ran 1:0?

Philbert
Fixed :rolleyes:. I always like to say 40:none lol. That's the only mix ratio I've ver had a problem with BTW :dumb:. I killed the saw in my avatar with it, but the cylinder did clean right up :).
If you go on any of the diesel forums you will find many guys running 2-stroke oil in their trucks(at very wide ratios from 1:0 to around 40:1), I wouldn't doubt that guys would do the same on that saw these days.
I'm sure @steved can tell you more about it, but my understanding is it helps lube the injectors and the pump.

Fixed :rolleyes:. I always like to say 40:none lol. That's the only mix ratio I've ver had a problem with BTW :dumb:. I killed the saw in my avatar with it, but the cylinder did clean right up :).
If you go on any of the diesel forums you will find many guys running 2-stroke oil in their trucks(at very wide ratios from 1:0 to around 40:1), I wouldn't doubt that guys would do the same on that saw these days.
I'm sure @steved can tell you more about it, but my understanding is it helps lube the injectors and the pump.
Yeah, with the onset of ULSD there was a batch of misinformation out there...fuel was drier, fuel lack lubrication, etc, etc. After all the hype, the only thing that I know is true of ULSD is that it will wax at a lot higher temperature than LSD (like +10 degrees F).

I ran 2-stroke oil for a while in my 3rd gen, and believe it or not, it did make a positive improvement in fuel mileage and quieted the Bosch electronic injectors down a bit. But the amount it took to treat a 30 gallon tank of fuel when I was burning 200 gallons in a stretch was cost prohibitive (mileage increase did not offset the cost of even cheap 2-stroke).

One of my Granddaughters managed to get hold of my Daughter's phone and dial 911 … that was a fun time!

Really ... it was an accident … why don't you believe me ...
Many years ago, when 911 was still pretty new, my little sister had a sleep over. One of the kids made a crank call and hung up. A few minutes later the police were ringing the door bell. When the police asked who did it, the girl didn't say anything. Every one else in the room pointed at her. They just gave the lecture on why you shouldn't do that.

I was looking at the specs for this KMS4, Acres shows it at an advertised 8HP and 58CC's. I had a Homelite 7-29 that was advertised at 7HP and 129CC's. I hope I'm able to get it and get it running. They are supposed to be supper smooth with the rotary. Then it will be a shelf queen.

Back