Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll agree with you that sugar SHOULD be a prohibited drug. Some experts say it's more addictive than opium.

But at least one thing is for certain - the weather forecasters finally got one right when they said there'd be snow to sea level.
I agree with the experts. I kicked an oxycontin&morphine habit years ago. Still drink a half gallon of tea every day. Got away from soda and tea for about a month awhile back and lost almost 15 pounds but eventually ended up back on the sauce.

Just having a quick lunch then off to the beach. Radio says bags of cocaine are washing up on said beach. Millions of dollars worth so far. I'm gonna fill bags with sugar and have some fun.

Bugrit. Note to self. Don't import in winter, those westerlies just kill your business.

Bugrit. Note to self. Don't import in winter, those westerlies just kill your business.
About $3m worth so far. I'd say the 7m (21'?) swells out there in the recent storm made it too hard for the locals to find the buoy the drugs were attached to when it was hurled overboard from the mothership.

Yes sir I have, even have service manuals. So, only reply to you is, it's my saws, my money and I will run them how I please. You can do the same.
Even though it came off as snarky, my post wasnt intended to be like that. However, if a manufacturer of anything gives the consumer specific operating instructions why would the operator choose to not follow the specific operating instructions of the machine? Is there a benefit to running 40:1 in a machine that was designed to run 50:1?

The 50:1 recommendation is to comply with the EPA, they all used to recommend much richer ratios.

Since all of my saws are either modified or ported, I run AMSOIL Saber in everything at 40:1. It lubricates very well, and everything operates just fine that way.

I'm sure the manufacturers would be very happy if I needed new saws more often.

I always run 40:1 except in ported/regular carb saws or really old saws then I run 32:1. Use whatever high quality oil I can find.

Manufacturers recommendations are to comply with emissions. Plus if the equipment wears out sooner due to less lubrication, they get to sell you a new one.

The 50:1 recommendation is to comply with the EPA, . . . I'm sure the manufacturers would be very happy if I needed new saws more often.

I always run 40:1 . . . Manufacturers recommendations are to comply with emissions. Plus if the equipment wears out sooner due to less lubrication, they get to sell you a new one.
Maybe all this '40:1' sh*t is to get you to buy more mix oil?

Philbert

Thank you, much better price.
Nate, get the Simpson winch with the Honda GX35 engine. I’ve had mine for about 5 years and no problems at all. My backyard slopes to a creek 150 feet away and 80 feet down at an angle of about 45 degrees. I really like using it and it saves me a lot of time. I used it last year to pull a hung oak tree off another tree and it worked great. I left regular gas in it and about 6 weeks ago, it started on the first pull after putting the choke on. I used it to pull a 5” diameter dead ironwood tree up a side gulley in about 10 minutes. No effort on my part except attaching the sling to the tree and pulling the rope through the capstan.

It was dark o'clock when I came in from stacking. Got a cord and a half done after supper. Who needs a gym membership?
a3bd5741ca15c868b1950b5f7762d8b4.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Nate, get the Simpson winch with the Honda GX35 engine. I’ve had mine for about 5 years and no problems at all. My backyard slopes to a creek 150 feet away and 80 feet down at an angle of about 45 degrees. I really like using it and it saves me a lot of time. I used it last year to pull a hung oak tree off another tree and it worked great. I left regular gas in it and about 6 weeks ago, it started on the first pull after putting the choke on. I used it to pull a 5” diameter dead ironwood tree up a side gulley in about 10 minutes. No effort on my part except attaching the sling to the tree and pulling the rope through the capstan.
Thank you for the info. That does sound like a good idea. I really think it would work very well for what I need. Would enable me to scrounge-access more higher value wood, I think. Those Honda motors seem to be very good. We have a water pump at work with that same motor, very reliable and fires up after sitting for months at a time. I have some more tree jobs coming up and firewood sales so hopefully will fit in the budget soon.

Thank you for the info. That does sound like a good idea. I really think it would work very well for what I need. Would enable me to scrounge-access more higher value wood, I think. Those Honda motors seem to be very good. We have a water pump at work with that same motor, very reliable and fires up after sitting for months at a time. I have some more tree jobs coming up and firewood sales so hopefully will fit in the budget soon.
Will work for scrounging tools :D.
I'd really like one of those too :yes:.
It could be kinda fun for you out there, put the rope thru a pulley just above were you want to bring the log, then carry the rope and the winch down to the log, hook the winch up to the log and one side of the rope to the tree, then wrap the other end to the winch, hop on log and manage the line :happy:.
You'd probably want to leave at least a few branches to stabilize the log :laugh:.

It could be kinda fun for you out there, put the rope thru a pulley just above were you want to bring the log, then carry the rope and the winch down to the log, hook the winch up to the log and one side of the rope to the tree, then wrap the other end to the winch, hop on log and manage the line :happy:.
You'd probably want to leave at least a few branches to stabilize the log :laugh:.
You may laugh but similar options were taken seriously when I was trying to find an efficient way of one-person logging. If I win the lottery it's a remote controlled tractor winch, the Ludwig remote controlled chokers, Lewis winch for the haulback line (if not a double drum tractor winch).

You may laugh but similar options were taken seriously when I was trying to find an efficient way of one-person logging. If I win the lottery it's a remote controlled tractor winch, the Ludwig remote controlled chokers, Lewis winch for the haulback line (if not a double drum tractor winch).

You Kiwis are a funny lot. If I won the lottery, I'd be sitting on a boat with bikini models drinking beer and reeling in big fish. Each to their own, I suppose.

I'd only be fishing because Cowgirl has a strict look but don't touch rule for me with the bikini models.

You Kiwis are a funny lot. If I won the lottery, I'd be sitting on a boat with bikini models drinking beer and reeling in big fish. Each to their own, I suppose.

I'd only be fishing because Cowgirl has a strict look but don't touch rule for me with the bikini models.
Gotta do something between fishing trips. You've got the opportunity to feel the satisfaction/reward that comes from taking a standing tree to finished furniture. I love it and am sure you would get a kick out of it too. Even if I won lotto, I'd still be doing it.

Regarding that cocaine, police are saying it drifted over from off the NSW coast when it was dumped during a drug raid on a ship about 9 months ago. On the matter of drugs, police just found $140m worth (200 kgs) of meth!

But wait, there's more, a local up North with 7 kids under 6, on a bene, in a govt house, killed one of her twin 1 year olds via alcohol poisoning from breast feeding having been on a bender on the rum and cokes. Baby had 6 times the drunk driving blood alcohol limit (for adults, obviously) in her system.

talk about a drugged up society we live in these days.

How is it we mandate a minimum level of competency to drive a car yet any absolutely dysfunctional phuckwit can breed without limits?

Yeap, we sure are a funny lot.

Ooo oil thread, love it. My husq365 manual says 50:1 for husq best here oil (xp?) 30:1 for all others. I suspect the xp is no better then Stihl green but well, it helps husq sell oil I guess. Since I had a litre of green I'm currently doing 40:1 at a half half mix. I reckon the saw, and my ms180, will be very happy on that.

Yep I might be scrounging-working for food too, I’m afraid my granddaughter maxed out my credit card...AD659037-2986-49F4-BAEA-428C2C25528E.jpegI like your idea of riding the log out of the woods btw:yes:
I’m off to sell a load of wood to buy food...

Back