7900 run over by skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin hetzel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
SO my 7900 had un unfortunate accident- Run over by a skid steer, cases are cracked- makita tells me it is not possible to fix and I'm SOL.

What are some options? I am not interested in doing the rebuild myself- so all options would be outsourced.

Get a straight gassed donor saw?

Scrap it?

what does the mind hive think?

Unless you
A) are going to do the labor yourself, and
B) have access to cheap used parts
It is difficult to come out ahead rebuilding a saw.

In your position you’d be better off selling the carcass, and putting the money towards a new/used saw.

Or, hold the carcass, and next 7900 that needs something maybe you’ll have a cheap parts saw to rob from.

Chaulk it off to the cost of doing business, throw it in the trash or on the shelf of shame and buy a replacement.

Have a ~$1500 460 I ran over with the stroke delimber. Only thing usable was the bar and chain and a fuel cap.

Let's see a picture of it. Just rebuilt a 372xt that a logger friend did the same process to it.
IMG_4079.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4079.JPG

I'm sure someone on here has a case half they would part with. Tear it down, toss a new bearing and seal in the donor case half and put it back together.

I'd be worried about the other half too. I think I'd want to replace both halves to be safe... That or find a donor 64xx saw and swap the piston and cylinder on for super ease. I assume plastic bits are junked.

I waited to get a donor saw for parts to fix one of my 2100’s. The nasa space age plastic didn’t break but the metal case did. The tree did a 180 degree turn on the stump. It knew it had my saw in its sights. She bounced four feet high three times on my saw. I had a split second to grab it but material things can be replaced. That tree came to life like a Steven King novel.

Back