Ms660 kit saw bearing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
He everyone I’m new here. I have a couple a concern with my ms660 kit saw I started building last night.
I unpackaged everything and cleaned case half’s and so on everything looked good so I threw the crank in the freezer and cases in the oven for a bit and everything went together easy. Was able to center the crank with a mallet which usually happens when you use this method and move quickly. My concern is after I put the top end on and flywheel I flipped saw over and was putting oil pump on I noticed the bearing was hanging out a tad bit. I taped it in with a socket and a hammer but I am concerned maybe the crank isn’t centered anymore. I don’t hear it rubbing on the case but what’s your input on taking the top end back off to check. And if it is off can I tap it center at room temp or do I need to build a crank installer? Thanks.

You should be able to manipulate it all with hammers and sockets, although location should be the least of your concerns with those bearings...

You should be able to manipulate it all with hammers and sockets, although location should be the least of your concerns with those bearings...
Because there Chinese? I wanted to build the kit with everything out of the kit just to see how it did. So do u think I should take the top off and check center?

It doesn't need to be perfectly centered, it just needs to rotate freely. It's a lot easier to feel before the seals go in.
Ok. It came with the seals in it already but it feels like anyother saw iv worked on with the seals. Thanks for your input. I’m sure it will be tore down by spring anyway due to failure of something but who knows. Thanks again

Usually when I put bearings in and install the crank I have to tap the ends of the crank to get it to turn good and loose. It it amazing just a small tap and it frees it right up if everything is okay. THe only thing I would be concerned about is why is the bearing loose in the pocket. I would line it up as best I could make sure the crank turns easy and put together. It may last you a 1000 hours or so that way.

Because there Chinese? I wanted to build the kit with everything out of the kit just to see how it did. So do u think I should take the top off and check center?
The bearings are fine. The trouble is they sometimes have shavings in them from the milling process. I would pull the seals, pull the cylinder and wash the bearings out good with WD-40 or similar product and put new seal in it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The bearings are fine. The trouble is they sometimes have shavings in them from the milling process. I would pull the seals, pull the cylinder and wash the bearings out good with WD-40 or similar product and put new seal in it.

I cleaned everything out in parts washer I didn’t take seals out but dry I didn’t feel anything hanging up. Was gonna use brake parts cleaner but figured it was bad for plastic cages and seals.

That's good. I would definitely do a pressure/ vacuum test to make sure you have no leaks. The seal on the the clutch side is easy to invert and let the spring come out.

That's good. I would definitely do a pressure/ vacuum test to make sure you have no leaks. The seal on the the clutch side is easy to invert and let the spring come out.

Ya it’s not inside the rubber right? There usually on the outside to hold pressure around the seal.for Some reason I don’t remember seeing it.
On the bearing side of the seal. Pic is of a seal I just happen to be installing on a machine at work.
ebbe794f13eaa4aa037b78f2bd2d4b65.jpg

On the bearing side of the seal. Pic is of a deal I just happen to be installing on a machine at work.
ebbe794f13eaa4aa037b78f2bd2d4b65.jpg

That’s what I thought. I am use to working on bigger stuff heavy equipment and such. So I didn’t know if they were made in the rubber. Thanks. I’ll look tonight.

Latest posts

Back