How many bars and chains per saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Small saw vs Large saw, or how small and how large is the near constant debate.

For the small and the large how many bars and chains is to me the better question. I figure at least 2 bars per saw of the most used size, and one each for the special case usage. As of now I have 32", 24"(x2), 20"(x2) and 18" that can be moved around for my ms290 and ms461. My only complaint is my 290 cannot pull much more then the 20".

How many chains? They can get pricey, and for special use cases, so 2 about make the most sense (always one for backup). For the regular use, get plenty of chains as good price deals are found.

Of course for many/most of you, that have 100s of saws, this question cannot apply. You'd likely go broke in keep all of the saws fully equipped.

Small saw vs Large saw, or how small and how large is the near constant debate.

For the small and the large how many bars and chains is to me the better question. I figure at least 2 bars per saw of the most used size, and one each for the special case usage. As of now I have 32", 24"(x2), 20"(x2) and 18" that can be moved around for my ms290 and ms461. My only complaint is my 290 cannot pull much more then the 20".

How many chains? They can get pricey, and for special use cases, so 2 about make the most sense (always one for backup). For the regular use, get plenty of chains as good price deals are found.

Of course for many/most of you, that have 100s of saws, this question cannot apply. You'd likely go broke in keep all of the saws fully equipped.
Over 100 saws, more than 300 bars and over 500' of chain on reels plus a chain on every bar , hmmmmm, that is a good bit of money...:)...I am out.

Over 100 saws, more than 300 bars and over 500' of chain on reels plus a chain on every bar , hmmmmm, that is a good bit of money...:)...I am out.

I am slowly moving my future thinking towards some reels of chains. Not sure of the savings though. Other then flexibility in chain lengths, like for experimenting with sprockets sizes, I'm not sure there is a clear reason for a homeowner/firewood-cutter to go down that path.

If you are going to start doing bulk chain and have no immediate need of it then be patient and vigilant, set a price per foot and stick to it. Pick the types of chain you want to own and stick to it. Retail pricing is almost always favors ordering loops when searching for deals. 10 pack of loops can make a lot of different size chains.

I buy a lot of chain, a lot if not most these days comes from folks that never used it and are selling it off at flea markets, yard sales, stores, etc.. Same with bars.

I miss the days of $1-2.00 per foot chain deals, everybody gets excited these days at + $3.50 per foot.

I have 3 saws, and about 2 bars for each saw. I run a 20'' most of the time but have a 24'' for my ms362. I run the same size bar and chain for all 3 saws so I can swap them out how ever I want. I always carry several bars with me when out in the field. Especially if I'm only carrying one saw. The reason I carry 2 bars and several chains is in case I get a bar pinched in a log, I can simply remove the power head from the stuck bar and put another bar and chain on and cut the pinched bar loose without having to carry 2 saws.

All I need is a 20” and 25” I have have 4 chains for the 20 and 2 chains for the 25 I try to use sthil chains but I kinda like hultz chain because it’s cheap

362: 20" and 25" bar; 3 regular chains for each (and a carbide chain for the 25", too)

201 (rear handle): 16" bar, 2 chains.

For my little saws (they all use the same A041 bar) I have two 12” bars and four chains, two 14” bars and four chains, one 16” bar and five chains (the most common bar I use), and two 18” bars and two chains. I’ve worn out one 16” bar and had a hollow tree sit down on a 14” bar and bend it in the past year or so but don’t need to stock up yet. Plus my new Husky 130 comes with a 16” bar.

I have several saws that take 16” bars and 3/8” 60 DL chains so I probably have six chains.

One oddball Homelite that takes 59 DL chain.

Two saws that take 20”/70 DL chains.

I just bought a Stihl 72 DL bar and bar adaptors for Homelite, Echo/McC, and Husqvarna and have 3 chains. So every large mount saw of any brand will share this bar provided their oiling system works well.

Also have a number of 50DL 3/8 low profile chains in case I ever come across a small Stihl.

I keep 500' of chain in stock at all times mostly 3/8'' and .404. I probably have $1200 in chain. With eleven saws running at ten hours a week on average the cost is minimal. Maybe I have to get a roll and some files every five years. I do not think at 67 I will ever use up every chain I have watch for the my going out of business sale. However when I need to cut I can wear out 50' of chain in a month. Thanks

Depends a lot on the bar but the long bar 42”+ I keep one around with 6 to 20 chains each, the 36’s there two bars with 20 chains, the 32’s I have 4 with 30 chains, 28’s I have 2 with 5 chains. All said bars and chain are the same gauge and pitch just to make life simple for the long run as well as cheaper when I pickup a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends a lot on the bar but the long bar 42”+ I keep one around with 6 to 20 chains each, the 36’s there two bars with 20 chains, the 32’s I have 4 with 30 chains, 28’s I have 2 with 5 chains. All said bars and chain are the same gauge and pitch just to make life simple for the long run as well as cheaper when I pickup a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just one 42" and 2 chains. I see myself rarely using such bar. The one time I did use it, it blew my hair back. 1 inch long chips while in a log where the bar was fully buried. After 30 or 40 minutes, several cuts, the chain still looked brand new.

The bars are pretty much interchangeable, smaller saws, pole saws, gasoline and electric. Lots of bars in various pitches and nose sprockets and hard nosed ones but not the dime kind. The title does no really apply. 44, 56, 72 drive links will fit a number. I do not have a larger mount saw.

I have three personal saws. I have three 32s, three 28s, and two 25s. I keep several (5-6) loops for each bar. Most of the loops are the same type of chain, but it can be a pain to sharpen in the field so I’ll swap them as needed.

I don’t have small saws. They don’t fit into my work methods.

Back