Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the buckhorn site, the one that's like half a peep sight?

Yea, kinda big and dopey and looks like 2/3 of a circle. The V is arched, not straight. I was always taught with open sights to align the front sight with the top of the V, but when you do that with this site (on the lowest setting available) it is over a foot high at 100 yds!

I need a peep on it!!!

Op was about "scrounging" firewood...me? Having Spike60 come up to the farm and having us both randomly dropping & processing trees so we can run the cool old saws we like to run. Like a trail ride on a dirt bike, except instead of a motorcycle..saws...instead of trails...trees....:) plenty of firewood in those!

Out for work yesterday talking to local ranchers lining up fire prevention projects and a coworker and I picked up maybe quarter cord of wood just left laying at various cutting sites. If we would have had a small saw, we could have gotten almost a full cord. People that cut firewood out here tend to leave a lot that will burn just fine. Some of it was already split and no fire pit in sight. Piece or two here, half dozen there.

I had some time to kill waiting for an appointment in town so drove out to where I bucked/split a whole bunch of
SPRUCE and red fir for a new family that jujst moved into the area. They had a lot of trees felled to make clearance for a big machine shedd and get some sun on the garden plot. Bucked, split and left on a pile. I didn't charge for it. That was two years ago. I thought he was going to sell it or use it, wood stove in house. Apparently not, looks like it is all still in the piles as I left it. Somewhere around 4-6 cord. I'm debating contacting him to see if I can't clean it up' for him :)

That may be a good thing to have with the locust, it can overcoal pretty bad when it's very cold out.

So the next morning at 11:30 I opened the stove and pulled all the coals forward, this was 12hrs after I shut it down the other night when I posted the pictures.
Then I opened the damper and let it rip for about 15min, then reloaded it for a smaller fire for the day, 20mins after that I had a nice fire and shut the damper down until that evening(425 degrees, it was 450 when I walked out the door 15 min later).
I like locusts :sweet:.
View attachment 769234 View attachment 769235 View attachment 769236

Dang thats a lot of glass in the front! Very cool stove!

I have not had too bad of issues with the coals yet but I’m not burning 24 seven with locust either. I think we’re about to start though.

I Have more coals than I know what to do with when burning lots of oak.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Some tree service worker is going to be an unhappy camper when this tree eventually comes down.

View attachment 769390
Man I hate yard trees. Bucked up a log the other day that had more hardware in it than the Ace in town.

Dang thats a lot of glass in the front! Very cool stove!

I have not had too bad of issues with the coals yet but I’m not burning 24 seven with locust either. I think we’re about to start though.

I Have more coals than I know what to do with when burning lots of oak.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I drag them to the front and set a large split on them, then open the damper, it burns real hot and it burns the coals down as well. I only have an issue with overcoaling when it's very cold.
I thought it would be cool to have something like the scoop you made so I could pull the coals out when they got piled up and then I could put them back into the stove when the demand was low like in the spring and they would burn clean and consistent at a lower temp.

Yea, kinda big and dopey and looks like 2/3 of a circle. The V is arched, not straight. I was always taught with open sights to align the front sight with the top of the V, but when you do that with this site (on the lowest setting available) it is over a foot high at 100 yds!

I need a peep on it!!!
Okay, that's what I figured, just wasn't sure of the terminology.
Not sure if everyone in here is familiar with Husqvarna history or where the logo comes from, pretty cool.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.54.07 PM.png

Okay, that's what I figured, just wasn't sure of the terminology.
Not sure if everyone in here is familiar with Husqvarna history or where the logo comes from, pretty cool.
In addition to representing a musket sight, the current logo also resembles a crown, as they were formed to provide the muskets for the King of Sweden.
Screen shot 2019-10-30 at 8.46.17 AM.png

Philbert

Chipper, if you take the coals out the stove how do you stop them burning away? Do you plan on putting them in an airtight can?
If you do fish them out and save them, you'll have a lot of charcoal, bag it up and sell some for BBQ charcoal maybe?
It's not something I've done except with the ones I've put in the ash bin, and I will pull those out sometimes and hit them with the mini torch with some logs around them, it works well and gets all the Btu's out of them. If I had a scoop that made it easier to do I may be more inclined to do it, but it's only a couple weeks out of the year I have any issues with overcoaling so it's not a big loss.
I figured putting them in an airtight can, but I wouldn't sell them, just put them back in the stove during the shoulder season for low temp/clean burning heat.
I've always been interested in making charcoal and did a bit of research into it, but since I don't use charcoal for grilling I never pursued it. I do find it interesting how many uses there are for wood!

I just don't understand how they shot those square bullets!!!
It's kinda like a modified rifling Mike:laughing:.
In addition to representing a musket sight, the current logo also resembles a crown, as they were formed to provide the muskets for the King of Sweden.
View attachment 769514

Philbert
Let's stay on topic here!:lol:

When I drove truck I would search the companies I was delivering to, some very interesting reading.
It was obvious to me after doing that and seeing how many of them had plants out of the country that as soon as NAFTA went full effect they would pull out of the states altogether, and many did, hence the great sucking we heard :surprised3:. Michigan got hit hard, but we're resilient up here :muscle:.

Let's stay on topic here!
Are you kidding? In this thread?

It was obvious to me after doing that and seeing how many of them had plants out of the country that as soon as NAFTA went full effect they would pull out of the states altogether, and many did, hence the great sucking we heard .

Husqvarna would be the opposite. Started in Sweden, then started manufacturing in the US after buying some companies like Poulan, etc. Did a lot of private label manufacturing for Sears Craftsman, etc.

McRae, GA - lawn mowers, snow throwers, rotary cultivators, tractor baggers
Nashville, AR - trimmers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, handheld equipment components
Orangeburg, SC - tractors, zero turn riders, rotary cultivators
Salem, IN - transmissions, transaxles & gearboxes for outdoor power equipment
Colombia, SC - diamond tools

Philbert

Latest posts

Back