Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't understand how they shot those square bullets!!!
How about the hexagonal bore on the Whitworth? When using conical bullets they had to be made of soft lead so they would expand into the hex bore. The barrel also had a 1-20 twist. I can't remember how they made the barrels? They may have been hand hammered on a twisted mandrel, or they may have had a way of cutting the twist in?
The Whitworth was held responsible for at least two deaths of high-ranking Officers: On Sept 19, 1863, at the Battle of Chickamauga, an unnamed Confederate sharpshooter mortally wounded Union General William Lytle, who was leading a charge at the time.[citation needed]

Later in the war, on May 9, 1864, during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, Union General John Sedgwick according to popular accounts was chiding some of his troops for lying down in a ditch to avoid Confederate sharpshooters at a range of around 800 to 1000 yards. Shots from Confederate Whitworth rifles, easily identifiable due to the shrill whistling noises their hexagonal bullets made in flight, caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover. Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying, "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he repeated, "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Just seconds later he fell forward with a bullet hole below his left eye. At least five Confederate soldiers claimed that they had fired the fatal shot.

Hi Chipper,
It drops down level with the ground. Probably good for small equipment. Researched it when we found it because I'd never seen one. Pretty sure there is a company in Ohio that builds a similar setup.

Neighbor has an all steel one that drops down flush with the ground. Said it was pretty expensive, but really likes it, as it lets him roll heavy things right in, without needing a forklift, etc.

Like these: https://airtow.com/utility-model-specs/

Philbert

@muddstopper I'like try to get a picture but it sounds like the same concept as the trailer you described, only with a 12 volt hyd pump and cylinders to instead of a ratchet.
You pictures suggest a similar design, but what you have is much better than the one my brother ended up with. More ways than one to skin a cat I guess.

The guy that let me and Wayne have that last big red oak asked if I would cut down a couple pines in his yard and just throw them in the woods. Got them done today and came home to clean all that crap off the saw. I was heading for the kerosene jug and spied a bottle of Goo Gone. What the heck, never tried it yet. Works better than kerosene and no smell.
Before I start running the saws in pitchy wood I spray them down with wd40 just not on the handles :surprised3:, then every time I fuel them, sometimes they end up being cleaner than before I started the job :rock:.

I got a free load of wood the other day at a Farm Festival we have each year, they had chainsaw racing and at the end of the day they were giving all the wood away (Green Stringy Bark and Squiggly Gum) so I loaded up on as much as I could get on the ute.

It should be dry and ready for use next winter with a bit of luck (the fence posts - long pieces are Stringy and the big rounds are Squiggly Gum). It's all cut up and split now and half way through stacking it on pallets.

XOnF7bll.jpg

You've received a used 340.... It's either about to go to Randy or a n other porter, or it is come from them and is about to be fitted with a 36" b&c and be used to mill some Ash.
Definitely not going to Randy but yes, it’s going to turn into a ported 346 NE.

2” of rain tomorrow then 40-50 mile an hour winds Friday. May be lots of scrounging coming up.
I got two small Dead Oaks Tuesday, was going to go back today except the rain and wind. I have at least 6 more, all bout 1 cord each. But, I'm afraid to go in the woods with this wind, my head is not as hard as it used to be when I was younger.

Back