Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad passed early Tuesday morning. It was faster then we expected. Translates to tons of unattended details. Actually had an appointment with the attorney for the same day to do all of the paperwork which turned into retaining him to handle probate. I feel there is a lesson there and will put my own affairs in order once this is wrapped.

The positive is most of the family had an opportunity to spend time with him and he went without suffering a long time.

Pretty sure his blood pressure just bottomed out and with Afib his heart just couldn't do it's job anymore

Right to the end he just wanted to get well enough to come home. It was heartbreaking in that regard. He is the first of his family of 8 to die and in the middle age wise at 75. He really didn't want or expect to be first.

Hopefully I can stop hemorrhaging cash soon and get some time in the woods after firearm deer season.
Sorry to hear this Six. Prayers for you and the Family.

Dad passed early Tuesday morning. It was faster then we expected. Translates to tons of unattended details. Actually had an appointment with the attorney for the same day to do all of the paperwork which turned into retaining him to handle probate. I feel there is a lesson there and will put my own affairs in order once this is wrapped.

The positive is most of the family had an opportunity to spend time with him and he went without suffering a long time.

Pretty sure his blood pressure just bottomed out and with Afib his heart just couldn't do it's job anymore

Right to the end he just wanted to get well enough to come home. It was heartbreaking in that regard. He is the first of his family of 8 to die and in the middle age wise at 75. He really didn't want or expect to be first.

Hopefully I can stop hemorrhaging cash soon and get some time in the woods after firearm deer season.
Very sorry to hear about your fathers passing.
As human beings we want to be around, we are never ready to go, and even less able
to deal with the passing of another, sad times for sure, but not sad times in Heaven,
for that son or daughter who has come home, you have your memories now,
reflect on them my friend, they will carry you through, even more so, God is
at His strongest when we are at our weakest, and He will carry your burden of pain
for you, at this and any time.

Be Blessed

Very sorry to hear about your loss too six. As one of my mums friends told me when she passed away........“that’s the problem with this life no one gets out of it alive”.
So true, sure makes me a better person knowing that one day I will get to be with
my creator, and thankful for all He gives me while am here.

The creator gave us about 4" of snow last night. Finished up the stack of balsam fir and moving on to ash and elm.
0efb158312e501d2f1592ed92fb228bd.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

None of them will do anything. The people that will start fighting back won't be the ones that have been talking about it on some forums. They will be the first ones dead in the next civil war. Just like in the rest of life the ones you don't hear from are the ones to watch. They will be the leaders of the next revolution.

Sorry for you loss. Hope the positive memories out weight the short term pain and sorrow. I went through it quite a while ago.

I often remember sayings my Dad used, and one of them was "Life is for the Living" (he was a WW II Vet, and a lot of them did not return).

Be there for your family, and go hunting to put your mind at ease.

Been burning box elder for the first of the season. With temps not getting any higher than mid 20's and lows in the lower teens I switched to some elm in the OWB. I know they are relatively close on the btu charts but it's worth 150-200 degrees in the OWB. Still won't pass up box elder as it dries quick and burns well enough in the shoulder season but it's interesting to see the difference on two woods that close in btu's.

Sorry for your loss. Lost my father almost 10 years ago, not an easy time. Lost my father in law years ago suddenly. He had nothing planned so it was hard to arrange it all. Lady at the DMV asked my wife why her Dad did not sign the car over to her, had to point out that he passed away before we saw him.

Got the wifes truck at the shop after the deer strike. Our insurance company picked the shop for my wife but she is ok with it and I am staying out of it. Butchering the deer tomorrow, not sure how much meat is going to be bad due to the truck collision. I'll make dog food with all the scraps and bad meat.020.JPG

On a strange note we have a pileated woodpecker that keeps flying into and pecking at our windows. Not sure if he saw his reflection or what. Lands on the sill and looks in.

Been burning box elder for the first of the season. With temps not getting any higher than mid 20's and lows in the lower teens I switched to some elm in the OWB. I know they are relatively close on the btu charts but it's worth 150-200 degrees in the OWB. Still won't pass up box elder as it dries quick and burns well enough in the shoulder season but it's interesting to see the difference on two woods that close in btu's.
It’s interesting how that is.

In theory, woods like Norway pine and BE have 10 percent less density than mid grade hardwoods but burn times are significantly less.

I’ve been burning big pieces of Norway pine that I scrounged but looking forward to being done with this ~2 cords so I can get into the birch and maple.

Sorry for your loss. Lost my father almost 10 years ago, not an easy time. Lost my father in law years ago suddenly. He had nothing planned so it was hard to arrange it all. Lady at the DMV asked my wife why her Dad did not sign the car over to her, had to point out that he passed away before we saw him.

Got the wifes truck at the shop after the deer strike. Our insurance company picked the shop for my wife but she is ok with it and I am staying out of it. Butchering the deer tomorrow, not sure how much meat is going to be bad due to the truck collision. I'll make dog food with all the scraps and bad meat.View attachment 771194

On a strange note we have a pileated woodpecker that keeps flying into and pecking at our windows. Not sure if he saw his reflection or what. Lands on the sill and looks in.
The wood pecker wants you to get the hide off so he can get to all the fat.

So sorry for your loss, I’m sure it is a great one. Stay strong for your sake and the family. Prayers for you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back