What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the 555 is in need of help, I have a couple of feelers out trying to locate another cylinder but this one is peeling chrome at the intake port. It's to bad, of the two Mac's I still have to work on this is the one I was looking forward to get running. The other is a 700.
cg.jpg

Not sure yet.

I have a husky 350 that needs a piston or rings low compression. It turns over freely.
I have a husky 372 Xp apart that a have a new engine from huztl to assemble in it.

My Makita 6401 currently on mine. Getting a new clutch and oil pick up tube. Hopefully the end to my bar oil leak.

Got my clutch and new oil line in the mail end of last week. Got it all installed. No more bar leak and no more chain constantly spinning. Hip hip hooray. Went out Saturday and cut firewood and she ran great. Had the 22” bar buried several times in oak.

Do you mean the bottom end or the cylinder? Really no such thing as an engine on a two stroke. Unless you are talking about the crank case and the cylinder.

I purchased the complete assembled 372 engine from Huztl there only around $60.

A motor would be electric.? A engine would be gas, diesel or steam powered?

Still have my newly acquired MS290 Farm Boss in pieces. All three places I ordered parts from are late by 2 days. Hopefully the parts come tomorrow.

I might be interested in buying the old seized one

I was going to build it. My dealer had a top fuel drag race engine builder, build a 288 for him. He polished the crankcase and ported the cylinder. I got to run it in the woods to break it in. I cleaned house with it at the fair speed cutting. I was the last of six guys cutting with this saw, the hotter she got the faster she cut. Polishing the crankcase seems to make a difference. Not having a dynamometer I’m not sure how much difference it made.

Before I retired I built dynamometers for Otis elevator world head quarters engineering. One electric motor we used as a load machine had the torque of 47 big block 427 Chevy engines. It weighed 20,000 lbs. we used the older dc motors to test the new ac motor designs. They were testing the ac machines that ran hotter and liquid cooling seem to be the way to go.

Finally turned mess from earlier post into this. Took a little digging to find a nice clutch side case half. Saw was rebuilt with all oem parts except clutch cover and spikes. New oem seals, gaskets, clutch bearing, SKF case bearings, hand guard, starter spool and spring, o-ring. P/c came from a J-red 2166 take off and I removed baffles, turning it into a 372xt (p/c was purchased from Dan, listed in parts thread). Saw fired right up and runs nice. Only had a few parts left over on table.IMG_8663.JPG IMG_8664.JPG IMG_8665.JPG IMG_8662.JPG

Finally turned mess from earlier post into this. Took a little digging to find a nice clutch side case half. Saw was rebuilt with all oem parts except clutch cover and spikes. New oem seals, gaskets, clutch bearing, SKF case bearings, hand guard, starter spool and spring, o-ring. P/c came from a J-red 2166 take off and I removed baffles, turning it into a 372xt (p/c was purchased from Dan, listed in parts thread). Saw fired right up and runs nice. Only had a few parts left over on table.View attachment 777507 View attachment 777508 View attachment 777509 View attachment 777510

All engine cases that split into half are machined together as one piece. So the bores are lined up exactly on the centerline. There done on a cnc jig boring machine. If your going to swap out case halves assemble the empty case and check the bore line up with a straight edge and a small flashlight. You should see no light were the straight edge meets the bore.

My brand new husaberg dirtbike cracked the ignition side of the case after not even an hour of running time. Ktm rep wanted to change the ign side case half only. I suggested a new engine, but I got a full refund. He asked me to never buy a ktm product again.

Finally turned mess from earlier post into this. Took a little digging to find a nice clutch side case half. Saw was rebuilt with all oem parts except clutch cover and spikes. New oem seals, gaskets, clutch bearing, SKF case bearings, hand guard, starter spool and spring, o-ring. P/c came from a J-red 2166 take off and I removed baffles, turning it into a 372xt (p/c was purchased from Dan, listed in parts thread). Saw fired right up and runs nice. Only had a few parts left over on table.View attachment 777507 View attachment 777508 View attachment 777509 View attachment 777510
Looks great......now how much?

My 361 is going BACK on the bench yet again due to possible carb troubles or an air leak. This saw had better be all it's supposed to be if I have to put this much work into it.

Did you leak test it? I leak test every two stroke when it’s apart after a refresh. In trouble shooting a leak test helps.

Continuing work on the PM 270 Canadien, here is a pic of the clutch (looks heavy duty to me), and our homemade exhaust solution. The openings will be checked and opened up as needed to achieve the right back pressure. It's crude but better than nothing...

I like that "exhaust solution", that's gonna sound just right :D

Back