Stihl 044 10mm vs 12mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if your mommy gave you some christmas money and you had a prepaid package already waiting to visit a crazy gun toting chimp and you had a 440 and a 044(10mm) ....which one would you send off ?

440 for sure the 10mm saw will run better to start with don't need much more than a generous muffler mod to be a real nice running saw.

I'm green on about everything, but especially 044/440's, I have been trying to follow recent threads on these, but I would like to add a question to this thread.

hypothetically, on a 2010 or newer ms440, what is the best OEM route for the most power on that case? Will a ms460 cylinder fit it with no modifications? Is there a better idea, ported in the end of course.

whats the most popular route to take with these 12mm saws? 10mm or 46D? Im sure Randy will build me a mean one either way- just looking for exp from 44 users.

whats the most popular route to take with these 12mm saws? 10mm or 46D? Im sure Randy will build me a mean one either way- just looking for exp from 44 users.
I purchased mine as a wreck and went through it,it was all oem 12mm bottom end and came stock with the angled fin cylinder it is one of the first 12mm saws,i put the 044bb kit in and used it for awhile but its a better saw with the oem cylinder and a port job,if i could find a good 046D cylinder it would be on my bench getting worked on

sent from my Modded MS880 running a 17"bar and 12tooth rim :)

Last edited:
Good info guys, I just broke down two 044s that i bought as parts saws, here are the pics of the cylinders, one on left is off serial number 125697945, had an 044C plastic top but someone disconnected the auto choke. Green sticker on chain brake says 1985 if that's worth anything, it is a 10mm pin and a Mahle piston, but cylinder looks newer with decomp valve and made by Gilardoni. Cylinder on right is from serial 130029033, chain brake sticker says 1993, looks original, probably early 12mm with angled cylinder no decomp valve, Mahle piston and cylinder. The Gilardoni cylinder looks to have a smaller combustion chamber. Don't have any experience with measuring ports. The stop pin locations on the pistons don't look different. Is there a 10mm piston that will work with the Gilardoni (if it cleans up)? Still have to find out cause of demise as well. (No, I did not mix up the sets by accident!) top.JPG mahle.JPG )

gilardoni.JPG

I think right before they quit selling the 440 here they were using those cylinders on it. Probably been replaced sometime since 2007 or 2008.

spent the last few months getting parts for my 440. Im doing a rebuld on it. There was a huge chunk takin out of the cylinder when i got it. Kind of a bummer but oh well. metal pieces everywhere and case damage. I figure it was because the piston was installed backwards and a ring end nicked the cylinder. Mine wont be a "looker" but im hoping ill like the 440/044 series as much as i do the 038s :D

Sorry to bring this back up, but I need to confirm that it is possible to bolt a 12mm 046 BB-piston on a 10mm jug 044? I understand that you can't run a 12mm jug with a 10mm piston, but what about the other way round (10mm jug w/ 12mm piston)? Should work, shouldn’t it?

you can bolt a 10mm 044 jug on a 12mm saw, but you cant bolt a 046 jug on a 10mm saw wrist pins are diff. now you can bolt a 046 on a 12mm saw with a little attention the the bolt pattern.

thx for the reply.

so what are you saying here, I need a 12mm crankshaft on my 044 to put a 046 cylinder on?

Ok, so I will need a whole new saw the :surprised3:
I found this one online, can someone on here run the numbers? It should be a 12mm saw. Also can you tell the year from the sn? 044sn.jpg

Is that method OK or will it throw off alignment or anything?

You'd really have to make a specific effort to screw it up enough to adversely effect alignment of anything...
IIRC depending on the build there can be minor clearance issues to watch for with the base or transfer tunnels on the case and/or flywheel.

Latest posts

Back