Stihl 044 10mm vs 12mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12mm crank started with serial number X 29 382 283

Ok, so I recently bought an 044 with serial number 123999352 and I just want to double check that its the 10mm model. Would this be PRE serial X 29 382 283 making it a 10mm wrist pin? The cooling fins are also at a horizontal angle however I hear that both early and late model 044's were produced with this characteristic. thanks.

Ok, so I recently bought an 044 with serial number 123999352 and I just want to double check that its the 10mm model. Would this be PRE serial X 29 382 283 making it a 10mm wrist pin? The cooling fins are also at a horizontal angle however I hear that both early and late model 044's were produced with this characteristic. thanks.

Yes you have a 10mm.

Isn't the 10 mm jug a different part # then the 12 mm or did I miss that here when reading through ?

Could be, but the wrist pin diameter is about the piston and the top end of the con rod mainly, and the small end bearing - not necessarily about the jug, unless the change interferes with the porting.

Could be, but the wrist pin diameter is about the piston and the top end of the con rod mainly, and the small end bearing - not necessarily about the jug, unless the change interferes with the porting.

the pins for the rings on the 12mm jugs are in different spots than the 10mm piston ,i am wondering if there is 2 different cylinders with angled fins ,10mm angled and 12mm angled or if they share the same one ?,i know the rings will hang up if put a ms440 cyl on a 10mm piston ,but i do have a saw with a 12mm piston the 10mm jug works fine on so the early 12mm saws may have the same port timing as the 10mm ones ? has anyone researched this ?i have also found a large part of why the early saws ran so good is the heavier flywheel they have ,with a 32 inch bar it makes a noticeable difference in tourque

Who would want a lousey old 044 anyway?

IMG_1010-L.jpg

Your 044 is the model/ standard that I am going to shoot for on my 44 project. Saw is beautiful.:bowdown:

Your 044 is the model/ standard that I am going to shoot for on my 44 project. Saw is beautiful.:bowdown:

Thanks. I built it from scratch, starting with NOS cases. The orange covers are the earliest style for the HD filter, thanks to TRX250R. The tank was used, but in like new condition, thanks to Wiggs. The recoil, clutch cover, and loop handle are new. The saw is all OEM, with the exception of a Meteor piston. It's a 12mm saw, but is wearing a nice 10mm cylinder and flywheel.

Thanks. I built it from scratch, starting with NOS cases. The orange covers are the earliest style for the HD filter, thanks to TRX250R. The tank was used, but in like new condition, thanks to Wiggs. The recoil, clutch cover, and loop handle are new. The saw is all OEM, with the exception of a Meteor piston. It's a 12mm saw, but is wearing a nice 10mm cylinder and flywheel.

So is there 2 types of flywheel for the 044
And then the 440 one later on?

So is there 2 types of flywheel for the 044
And then the 440 one later on?

the early 044 was a little heavier ,helps with a longer bar for tourque ,i have converted 2 of my saws to the early flywheel now ,my 3rd one came with one the 10mm saw i have

Rats, it was so long since I asked this question that I forgot about it. Had the cylinder off yesterday but have the saw all assembled now and forgot to measure the piston pin diameter. Oh well, I'll compare the serial number I guess. Still don't have the saw running. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb, checked the impulse and fuel hose, intake boot, etc. Now the saw isn't turning over properly so I have to get a set of the plastic pawls which are worn. Hope to add it to my line-up soon.

Just to bump. I bought a really nice good running 12mm 044 for Wiggs. Nothing wrong with the saw- but I want to prepare for the "optimal" future. Would I be better off buying a 10mm jug or finding a 046D jug? What's going to make the stronger saw?

Just to bump. I bought a really nice good running 12mm 044 for Wiggs. Nothing wrong with the saw- but I want to prepare for the "optimal" future. Would I be better off buying a 10mm jug or finding a 046D jug? What's going to make the stronger saw?

46 cylinder will make more power overall. I like a 10mm saw running a 28" lightweight bar with a 3/4 wrap handle.

Back