Poulan XXV Automatic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the S25 in the woodlot today with a new Oregon chain installed on the 16 inch bar as a trim saw after getting the tree down. Ran good and will cut the full length of the 16 inch bar with power to spare. Really a good light powerful easy to start trim saw.

Did not know that Poulan ever made a good reliable type saw.:):happybanana:

I have couple of the later model Craftsman/Poulan disposable/consumable plastic types that I only use as loaners and don't really care if they ever come back home.;)

That's a pretty offensive statement! Poulan made TONS of awesome, reliable saws that would run with the best. Its only in the past 25 years or so that they have given up on competing int he market seriously. I have a Poulan 3700 for sale in the marketplace that could change your mind as well- 62cc, tons of torque, pulls a 24" bar with ease and kicks ass with a 20".

That's a pretty offensive statement! Poulan made TONS of awesome, reliable saws that would run with the best. Its only in the past 25 years or so that they have given up on competing int he market seriously. I have a Poulan 3700 for sale in the marketplace that could change your mind as well- 62cc, tons of torque, pulls a 24" bar with ease and kicks ass with a 20".

Thanks for the info about some of the older model Poulan's saws being built good. I'll now keep a eye open for the older Models Poulans and have more respect for the Poulans. (I like to repair/restore old well built stuff of all kinds as a hobby)
All the Poulans/Craftsman's I've repaired and encountered were not the older saws and I almost let this one slip by to my Poulan/Craftsman saw salvage due to previous experience with Poulan/Craftsman plastic disposable cheapo models made in last few years. The little S25 was given to me and when I seen it was a Poulan I just laid it back to inspect sometime later for parts, etc, before going to my Poulan/Craftsman grave yard/salvage. I sometimes take 3 or more of the later model plastic Craftsman/Poulans and make one. Buying new repair parts for the later Model Poulans that are only made for Occasional use only (which is written on the front page of several of the late model Poulan saws owners manual) for repairs can result in getting more $$'s into one than cost of a new replacement saw.

I came up with another one of the little Poulan S25CVA with electronic ignition. Very low hour saw, fuel lines would break when touched. Paint is like new on the saw and had carrying case with tools and couple low kickback chains.

Replaced the fuel line with tygon, new duckbill tank vent, new chain, and she is running strong. Has the original owners manual and receipt. Saw cost about $200 when new back in the 80's.

Was pleasantly surprised how good these little 38 cc saws are and will cut with a full 16 inch bar with no bogging.
Really stout for their sized and weight.

Okie,
I myself have come to love these little saws. Partly because my kids assembled my first one with me this past summer. They were 3 and 5 when they did it, and they put every bolt in a and put the jug on with me. Good little saws for around the house stuff if your careful, and I feel like I’ll probably never need some top handle Stihl or something else. I’m not a climber anyway. Love using it, I have even gotten up in my own trees a couple times with it this year to get some dead limbs. I can’t beleive they were $200 back then!!

Merry Christmas to All

Bruce

Attachments

• 58AC5EDC-0F09-4B94-A2D5-F70CBD6ADD26.jpeg
    58AC5EDC-0F09-4B94-A2D5-F70CBD6ADD26.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • B852831B-1031-4846-8E49-1D959B291FDA.jpeg
    B852831B-1031-4846-8E49-1D959B291FDA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Okie,
I myself have come to love these little saws. Partly because my kids assembled my first one with me this past summer. They were 3 and 5 when they did it, and they put every bolt in a and put the jug on with me. Good little saws for around the house stuff if your careful, and I feel like I’ll probably never need some top handle Stihl or something else. I’m not a climber anyway. Love using it, I have even gotten up in my own trees a couple times with it this year to get some dead limbs. I can’t beleive they were $200 back then!!

Merry Christmas to All

Bruce

I've got a pile of the little top handle Homies (XL2 types) that I picked up from trash piles over the years and the little top handle Homies are not really not a good reliable trustworty Jeep/ATV saw if you have only one with you when you really need a good saw. These S25 Poulans are really a good trustworthy saw, built for the long haul, similiar to the old Homelite EZ's if you give them just a little bit of TLC..
Yep, the receipt price was a surprise. I bought a new Super EZ homelite back in the late 70's or early 80's and it was around vicinity of $150-175. That was back when a $1 was almost a dollar. (hard working for a dollar)
Here is a real good chain for around $14 if you ever want a good agressive cut chain for those saws with a 16 inch bar..

OREGON 91VXL057G 57 Drive Link Long Top Plate 3/8-Inch Low Profile Chain

Noticed you and I have the same name.

Have a nice xmas and Holiday season.

Bruce

The old Beard POulan saws were all good, from the S25da to the 4000 and up.

Okie,

Merry Christmas to All

Bruce

I went back and looked at the original owners manual and that $199.95 price was written on a sticker on the front of the manual in ink and not really showing how much stuff the original owner had purchased. Appears he got the Poulan carrying case, spare chain or two, the tool kit, and a permit to cut firewood wood on National Forest service land. (dead wood only and permission to use a chainsaw as listed on the permit. Permit is dated April 1982.

Thanks for the Poulan video.
(guy is right on about the late model saws being a shame due top modern times, built for the general consumer ONLY as a disposable type)

MTD/Bolens is in the same category as are many others.:(

Even going so far as to add to the front of the owners manual in big letters

FOR OCCASIONAL USE ONLY

Back