Tool belts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for a tool belt that i can hold a few necessary things to take with me in the woods or to the wood pile. Im getting tired of stuffing pockets or setting tools down somewhere.

What do you use?

Thanks.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Guess i worded it incorrectly. Id like to see what brand of the wedge pouch’s you can buy that most people like.

I need somthing nice to carry a few wedges and tools.

Any recommendations?

I see some online but not sure of the quality

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I’ve been looking at these as well. Was wondering if the nylon hold up as well as leather because my guess would be that they do not. Also saw a whole rig with the suspenders that holds the wedges, saw, and axe but the price was too high.

I’ll shut up now to listen and learn what you get from folks...

If you don't mind ripstop nylon and webbing belts, these Kiwimade belts are pretty good, very light and last for ages.
Only cost about US$50- not sure what the shipping would be though.

styx_mill_ripstop_multi_pouch_toolbelt.jpg

I carry a half dozen wedges, a 4 lb. hammer, a couple files, a bar wrench, an extra chain a small bottle of bar oil and a small gas can in a 5 gallon bucket. I know, it doesn't sound fancy, but I don't travel too far and I never have to hunt for lost items.

I have a well oiled leather belt that’s ~1.75” with a double prong buckle I had made at a horse tack shop. From there, I have two leather pouches that hold wedges from... Weaver? They hold my scrench (or two) too. I keep my tape attached to the right pouch. I have an IFAK on my left side. Grizzly peak axe sheath is in the center of my back. It’s one of the bigger ones to fit my 5ish pound Sager axe.

My only complaint about this kit is that my axe handle is too long and hits my hard hat. That’s out of my control, seeing as I’m, well, five and a half feet tall and the handle is a thirty inch straight one. For wildland I take the wedge pouches, IFAK and axe off and lace it into my pack in a similar position to where it would be on the belt.

I have a well oiled leather belt that’s ~1.75” with a double prong buckle I had made at a horse tack shop. From there, I have two leather pouches that hold wedges from... Weaver? They hold my scrench (or two) too. I keep my tape attached to the right pouch. I have an IFAK on my left side. Grizzly peak axe sheath is in the center of my back. It’s one of the bigger ones to fit my 5ish pound Sager axe.

My only complaint about this kit is that my axe handle is too long and hits my hard hat. That’s out of my control, seeing as I’m, well, five and a half feet tall and the handle is a thirty inch straight one. For wildland I take the wedge pouches, IFAK and axe off and lace it into my pack in a similar position to where it would be on the belt.

That's why I never liked those axe scabbards. I just wear an old army web belt and suspenders that I got at the surplus store for $6 years ago. I tuck the axe into the back of the belt.

Canteen holders make good wedge pouches on those and I carry a couple Sigg bottles for gas and oil - enough to make one complete pass across and back on the strip.

That's why I never liked those axe scabbards. I just wear an old army web belt and suspenders that I got at the surplus store for $6 years ago. I tuck the axe into the back of the belt.

That’s true, the biggest issue to me with the tucking it into my belt is the hike in. I have a 30” handle, my inseam is a grand total of 31”, and if I just tuck it into my belt it the axe has a habit of falling down and dragging on the ground. I’ve thought about braking some thin bar over to hold it sideways but my waist size is also a grand total of 31”. So I may just rig something up to hold it horizontal. I’ll just have to find a way to keep it from getting into my back and shoulder blades.

I don’t know. I don’t want to put a short handle on it, makes the axe kinda useless for chopping. This stuff is always evolving, I’m not where I want it to be just yet. On the wildland pack the sheath hangs a little lower so I can it it out easier without the baked potato foil “shelter” being in the way and it stays out of the way better. I may try a small belt down from the belt itself to put the sheath lower. Who knows? If I don’t like it I can always put it back.

That’s true, the biggest issue to me with the tucking it into my belt is the hike in. I have a 30” handle, my inseam is a grand total of 31”, and if I just tuck it into my belt it the axe has a habit of falling down and dragging on the ground. I’ve thought about braking some thin bar over to hold it sideways but my waist size is also a grand total of 31”. So I may just rig something up to hold it horizontal. I’ll just have to find a way to keep it from getting into my back and shoulder blades.

I don’t know. I don’t want to put a short handle on it, makes the axe kinda useless for chopping. This stuff is always evolving, I’m not where I want it to be just yet. On the wildland pack the sheath hangs a little lower so I can it it out easier without the baked potato foil “shelter” being in the way and it stays out of the way better. I may try a small belt down from the belt itself to put the sheath lower. Who knows? If I don’t like it I can always put it back.

I have the same predicament as yourself, being relatively short and thin. Im probably 5'10-5'11 and have a 30 inch waist at most. Most of my trousers are 32' because it's hard to find anything smaller in the men's department lol. I can still fit into my high school trousers at a push. They were 28'. Only now the legs are too short.

I used to use an old carpenters tool belt. I could get 3 wedges, a file and scrench in it. it had a leather tool holder too that I could put and axe in but then my axe was always rubbing on my leg.
This year I treated myself and bough one of those Weaver's logger's betls. This was a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I can now carry 5 wedges, a spare chain, 2 files, a flat file, loggers tape, raker gauge, first aid (minimal amount) and an axe. The upright axe holder is a godsend. I have a HB 1200 gram chopping axe with a 70cm handle, thats 27'. I probably wear the belt a little low but thats to get it to fit right. It's minimum waist is 32' so its just right.
Now the curse is the price, especially when you live in a different continent and have to pay importation charges.
My advice is either get a good product like this or make your own.

Here's the Weaver belt:

Here's a really good home made one by a fellow Irish spruce slayer.

And here's a BC fallers home made belt

I have the same predicament as yourself, being relatively short and thin. Im probably 5'10-5'11 and have a 30 inch waist at most. Most of my trousers are 32' because it's hard to find anything smaller in the men's department lol. I can still fit into my high school trousers at a push. They were 28'. Only now the legs are too short.

I used to use an old carpenters tool belt. I could get 3 wedges, a file and scrench in it. it had a leather tool holder too that I could put and axe in but then my axe was always rubbing on my leg.
This year I treated myself and bough one of those Weaver's logger's betls. This was a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I can now carry 5 wedges, a spare chain, 2 files, a flat file, loggers tape, raker gauge, first aid (minimal amount) and an axe. The upright axe holder is a godsend. I have a HB 1200 gram chopping axe with a 70cm handle, thats 27'. I probably wear the belt a little low but thats to get it to fit right. It's minimum waist is 32' so its just right.
Now the curse is the price, especially when you live in a different continent and have to pay importation charges.
My advice is either get a good product like this or make your own.

Here's the Weaver belt:

Here's a really good home made one by a fellow Irish spruce slayer.

And here's a BC fallers home made belt

Dang you guys are tall I’m 5’ 5” maybe 5’ 6” and can carry a 36” handle axe in between my belt and back just tip it sideways or file down an area for the belt to rear into the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, so thats just a 24' bar in the picture you posted. Here was me thinking it was 60'.
Jokes aside, I have seen guys banging wedges with 6lb mauls but for me I like an axe that I can carry without knowing it's there. I used to just bring cheap old hardware shop hatchets but they were uselessly weak.

I’ve been looking at these as well. Was wondering if the nylon hold up as well as leather because my guess would be that they do not. Also saw a whole rig with the suspenders that holds the wedges, saw, and axe but the price was too high.

I’ll shut up now to listen and learn what you get from folks...
I frame pole barns for a living and can’t stand nylon pouches. I pay good money for leather pouches and they pay for them selfs I’m the long run. I use occidental 5089 pouches. I’m not sure if they make wedge pouches or not

Dang you guys are tall I’m 5’ 5” maybe 5’ 6” and can carry a 36” handle axe in between my belt and back just tip it sideways or file down an area for the belt to rear into the handle.

No joke, 5’11 guys absolutely tower over me. I’ll try that... Seems like a solid solution.

Ah, so thats just a 24' bar in the picture you posted. Here was me thinking it was 60'.
Jokes aside, I have seen guys banging wedges with 6lb mauls but for me I like an axe that I can carry without knowing it's there. I used to just bring cheap old hardware shop hatchets but they were uselessly weak.

No mauls here just longer handles and some customization starting with a 5lbs axe then add 1/2” plate on one another has 1” added for bigger second growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back