Can a saw run back wards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I know you said never mind. But a v8 can run backwards. My Dad had an F600 that was prone to dieseling when you turned it off. Standard procedure was if you turned it off, and it kept running, dieseling, you turned it back on and let it run for a few seconds, then turn it off again. 99.99 times it would just turn off. But, every now and then you would turn the key back on just as it kicked back, and it would start up in reverse. Don't know if it did harm? I do know if you let the clutch out and it was in first, it would go back and vice versa. I never tried to do it on purpose with no chipper on it, and I sure as heck never tried to drive it around or rev it up. When it happened I shut it off ASAP. There was no way I was going to play/experiment with one of my Dad's trucks. He got pizzed off if someone broke a rake. Can't imagine what he would do if you F'ed up one of his dump trucks.

I heard about a saw competition, where somebody snuck up, and turned a saw chain around backward. It made for a good laugh.
Can you imagine getting a reed valve engine running backward, with the chain on backward, (probably have to start it with an electric drill) and, monkey with the flywheel magnets too. But, it'd be fun to see the clown pull this off.
;)
N

A dirt bike doesn't have a directional chain. Lol
I've run a saw upside down but never backwards.

I know what your asking but trying to figure out how piston chamber ignition would reverse chain.

Its a chainsaw, not a Detroit diesel!

That was always the damdest thing. I had or drove several trucks with 6-71/6V92/8V82s and drove a 1992 Seagrave fire engine with 8V92s and some days I’d hop into a truck, start it and all of a sudden I had 2 forward gears and eight or nine reverse gears. I had one instance where my pump switched intakes/discharges. They were especially prone to it when bump starting.

But like any two stroke they can run in reverse. A chainsaw is just less likely than a green leaker due its layout.

The closer the timing is set to TDC, the more likely it is to run backwards if it kicks back when starting. Trials bikes often had little advance timing to enhance the low rpm operation that these bikes operated under. The Bultaco used to be notorious about starting backwards. Chainsaws operate in the 12 to 30 deg BTDC so if their timing is set correctly, it should be rare to have them run backwards.

In Japan in the mid '80s, Husky 154s starting and running backwards was an issue addressed by incorporating an IIDA DENKI trigger circuit, which included a diode to prevent current flow in reverse, into the EMAB ignition module. The majority of “loggers” in Japan at the time were retired farmers and most of their forestry was conducted on steep mountain slopes so in many cases, the starter cord was not being pulled very quickly.

I saw my brother thank I old Honda out the they went backwoods.
I must of had to many Budweisers when I tried to type that. I watched my brother fire up a Honda cr125 after a rebuilt. It fire it up and dropped the clutch and he went, backwards. I was laughing so hard. It had something to do with the cdi. That's why I asked about saws. Lol

Back