Any place to get deals on new stihl saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantico

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems like all my local dealers have the exact same prices and i have never seen a sale price 5 dollars cheaper on a saw.. black friday or spring or whatever.. is there ever a place or strategy to get a better price on a new stihl saw ??

At least here Stihl has clamped down a lot on pricing.
Usually they have two promotional sales per year, one in the Spring and the other in the Fall: originally they were only on homeowner grade equipment but starting in 2018 it was extended to some high volume pro-grade stuff as well (BR600, MS261C-M etc). Don't expect said promotional sales to include top of the line stuff such as the MS462 or the big brushcutters though.
Up to the end of 2016 high volume Stihl dealerships (the US is under a different country management than ours so it may be different) could sell a limited number of pro-grade items at a discount, especially at the end of the fiscal year, but to the best of my knowledge that particular window has been progressively closed.

Funny thing is last time I was at the Echo dealer they told me Yamabiko (Echo + Shindaiwa) is progressively moving to a pricing structure similar to Stihl's. Again this may be a country management thing, but one thing is sure: Yamabiko hiked list prices so much they are now exactly the same as Stihl. :crazy:

MSRP or nothing on stihls saws. For some reason they will not run sales on there saws. Just buy one from the closest place that sells them, your discount is the time and gas money you save by buying from the closest dealer. Thats the only discount you will get. Been that way for years.

I got a considerable discount on the last 2 saws (261 and 462) from my dealer. Enough saved on the 261 to buy a new 20" bar for another saw that i needed. I have a great dealer though. People need to put their foot down with some of these dealers and demand a better price than MRSP. I don't know what people think is a good deal though. $5,20,50 or more off? Be prepared to have cash or check. Credit cards costs the bussiness at least 3%.

Dealers are only making 20% +/- 5% on equipment, and you want to get them to knock the price down and give up their profit? Then we act surprised when they don’t stock full line, or parts beyond the basics, or spin loops to order.

Dealers are only making 20% +/- 5% on equipment, and you want to get them to knock the price down and give up their profit? Then we act surprised when they don’t stock full line, or parts beyond the basics, or spin loops to order.

I always thought the dealers business model was to made the profit on accessories and service, not on the actual saw itself.

I think buying a new saw is just like buying a new car. No one goes into a car dealer and says I'll give you the price on the window sticker. BTW my dealer does all the things you mentioned above. If they don't have a part I need they usually have it in less than a week.

The dealers normally make a huge Spring and Fall order, where they have to buy a pallet of saws and oil, and then they get free freight, and are more inclined to "give you a deal". I think the reluctance to haggle is just that it is a pain in the ass, and folks these days don't like that much social interaction.

The best way is to find the owner's stupid son, and pretend to be his buddy. They are generally gullible, and the profits of the business haven't really concerned him as of yet.

Bought my saw from a very small (at least in terms of floor space) shop that services mostly loggers in an out of the way part of the county.

I’m not sure how he does it, but my 362 was about $75 cheaper than all other places. About the same for a BR700 blower I bought from him. Plus he just knows his stuff and shoots straight about strengths and weaknesses of the products.

I wouldn’t have known that he even exists if not for asking a buddy of mine who works in forestry/conservation type setting. In fact, I had to drive past the place about 3 times before I even found it. No real sign to speak of. He’s just the guy everyone in that part the county knows.

All that to say...might be worth asking some folks who make a living with saws, where THEY would buy a saw.

we don’t make that much profit off at lot of stuff but if your get $1000 worth of equipment then I can do somethings or if you have been buying saws from us for that last 16 years for your tree Service. And I will knock down parts for saws if your ordering over $100+ since we make about 50% off parts

Back