Echo cs450 Wont make it through Hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenCT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new here. I have used chainsaws a good part of my life but always as a homeowner maybe plus since have always had a few acres to about 11. I have been using a cs 450 for years. It has been fine. Not a lot of power but it worked. It was a temporary replacement for an old old Stihl Farmboss. I ended up using ity for 10 years. Last year of so it started bogging down on hardwoods of 6 to about 14 inches. I would get halfway through and it would bog down. The bar would heat up and the chain would loosen about 10 percent. I was ready to toss the saw but recently got a new Woodland Pro 16 Narrow Kerf Bar and Chain. I cleared out all the ethanol fuel I used and went to premixed 93 octane. It came to life but I only used it on small stuff. Yesterday Ias cutting a 12 in hardwood and it bogged down again. I have never done a MM on it. I gave up walked back to my house and go my brand new cs620 p. It cut through it in seconds. Should I just give up on the small saw?

The saw was pretty fast until about 6 mos ago. This problem happened about the time I got into several; projects and was using the saw pretty hard. I will admit I bout the saw reconditioned from HD about 10 years ago for less that 200. I didn't not take overly great care of it. I used it a lot except during a divorce where it was locked in ,y former garage for 2 years fully fueled. To Echos credit after I got it back is started in 2 pulls. I have never done a MM. I have adjusted carbs but don't claim to be that talented.

My CS-4500 is running perfectly. Two things I did was (1) clean the spark screen and (2) clean the air filter. It has no chain brake, but back then that was optional:
Echo CS-4500.jpgIt weighs about the same as a Stihl farm boss, but I like it better. I got it for $20 at a garage sale. It was really dirty, so I cleaned it up and gave it a new fuel cap. Just in case you need an owner's manual, I attached one for you. I like this saw, especially the oil booster and an easy idle adjuster, Very well built.

Attachments

• Echo CS-4500 Owner's Manual .pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
Th
My CS-4500 is running perfectly. Two things I did was (1) clean the spark screen and (2) clean the air filter. It has no chain brake, but back then that was optional:
View attachment 801591It weighs about the same as a Stihl farm boss, but I like it better. I got it for $20 at a garage sale. It was really dirty, so I cleaned it up and gave it a new fuel cap. Just in case you need an owner's manual, I attached one for you. I like this saw, especially the oil booster and an easy idle adjuster, Very well built.
View attachment 801591It weighs about the same as a Stihl farm boss, but I like it better. I got it for $20 at a garage sale. It was really dirty, so I cleaned it up and gave it a new fuel cap. Just in case you need an owner's manual, I attached one for you. I like this saw, especially the oil booster and an easy idle adjuster, Very well built.
Thank you. I am sort of doing the same thing. Looks like its oiling. Bar and chain are great. It is not making full rpm I believe. So doing new plug air filter fuel filter. I may to a mm and a tune up as well. I will check the piston as well. I think I can save the saw. Mine is a 450 and I agree its well built. Would be a shame to waste it,

I am new here. I have used chainsaws a good part of my life but always as a homeowner maybe plus since have always had a few acres to about 11. I have been using a cs 450 for years. It has been fine. Not a lot of power but it worked. It was a temporary replacement for an old old Stihl Farmboss. I ended up using ity for 10 years. Last year of so it started bogging down on hardwoods of 6 to about 14 inches. I would get halfway through and it would bog down. The bar would heat up and the chain would loosen about 10 percent. I was ready to toss the saw but recently got a new Woodland Pro 16 Narrow Kerf Bar and Chain. I cleared out all the ethanol fuel I used and went to premixed 93 octane. It came to life but I only used it on small stuff. Yesterday Ias cutting a 12 in hardwood and it bogged down again. I have never done a MM on it. I gave up walked back to my house and go my brand new cs620 p. It cut through it in seconds. Should I just give up on the small saw?
So here is when I am with the cs 450. I cleaned the spark arrestor. I checked the drive which looked good but picked up a replacement for the future. I changed the air and fuel filters. I have not done a MM yet and have not adjusted the carb. I also sharpened the chain again. I also ran a few tanks of premixed fuel through it hopefully all the effects of the ethanol gas are gone. It is about 80 percent there. Been cutting with it and its cutting a lot better.

Back