Husky 394xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbruin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'm going to look at a 394xp tomorrow. I'm bringing my comp tester but just curious of what things to look for? I had a 2094 is this saw similar counterpart in orange? Guy wants $450. Doesnt look destroyed. Any input would be appreciated.

So I'm going to look at a 394xp tomorrow. I'm bringing my comp tester but just curious of what things to look for? I had a 2094 is this saw similar counterpart in orange? Guy wants $450. Doesnt look destroyed. Any input would be appreciated.

394s are getting up there in age. They can have a 395 piston and cylinder installed however it takes around +/-$100.00 of other intake parts to finish the swap. Beyond that, nice saw. In my area a 394 in good condition would be easily in the $300.00-600.00 range depending on overall condition and bar and chain.

Similar type of power to the 2095, a few small parts will swap. 394s are way easier to source parts for than the 2094/5s. The Jonsereds had more grunt, the Husqvarna is way more durable.

Currently using a 394 with a 36” bar to block logs for the chainsaw mill, works well.

Things to look for...
Cracked and or broken crank case, everywhere. Take a rag with you. Look closely.
Broken or missing AV mounts
Broken mid rib on the fuel tank
Air filter
Should be a fight to start it unless the decomp is pushed in, fairly easy if decomp is pushed in.
Should not take many pulls to fire and start from cold.
Should idle like it is angry at you and rev up easily. Flip it around and listen for changes in rpm or stalling, if so it needs attention.
Oils a 36” bar easily. Pulls a 36” bar easily.

Almost forgot, it is a Husqvarna so look carefully for the half dozen missing fasteners that vibrated out and never got replaced.

394s are bitchin. unless its totally thrashed thats a good price. not a whole lot if weak points on these. as said, check compression, and usual visual inspection.

My 394 was a good saw. Like said above give it a white glove treatment for leaks. Check the rim and drum for wear, the air cleaner and carb area for being clean. That will say if it’s been well maintained.

Is the seller a logger, a firewood cutter or homeowner?

I love my old beat up farmer's firewooding 394xp. It is now due for a rebuild, but I have all the parts waiting for it in the shop except for the piston. Thanks for the reminder, need to get on that!

Back