Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love mine. Love the light weight. Love the torquey motor. Best off the shelf saw I've ever ran. It tops my list of favorite saw for power and smoothness. For comparison saws I've owned: Sthil 260 pro , 032 , 044 , 460 , 064 ,066 , 661, 056 super and ported Husky 372 xpw. For as long as it holds up to my previous Sthils durability I'll be happy as a clam.View attachment 881692
Good to see you are still around...

Sometimes weight works for you when you are a logger cutting really big logs for the saw mill. I used to just take a well-tuned Stihl 084 with a sharp chain and a 36" bar and then rest it on the tree for food. Then I let the big dog eat:
Edwin Using Stihl 084 Chainsaw.jpgThat's the same saw at a GTG a few years back. I'd love to run it again against a high-tech 500i. But I can no longer do that. A logger in Australia bought the saw.

Sometimes weight works for you when you are a logger cutting really big logs for the saw mill. I used to just take a well-tuned Stihl 084 with a sharp chain and a 36" bar and then rest it on the tree for food. Then I let the big dog eat:
View attachment 884176That's the same saw at a GTG a few years back. I'd love to run it again against a high-tech 500i. But I can no longer do that. A logger in Australia bought the saw.
Comparing apples to... wedges here? Displacement, power, weight, and vibRaTioN (left, right) all way different.

Stihl 084: 121.6cc, 8.6HP, 20.7lb, 7.5/7.8 m/s²
Stihl MS500i: 79.2cc, 6.8HP, 13.9lb, 4.2/4.0 m/s²

I do not see the point in comparing these saws. Other than saying that you can kick ass with a way larger saw? The vibration is in the red zone on the 084 and 088, nearly twice the 500i. Never mind the weight difference. I bet Gary's Termite V-8 saw saw would kick 084 ass as well. Its a lot heavier. But there is no comparing them, really.

Gary.JPG

Comparing apples to... wedges here? Displacement, power, weight, and vibRaTioN (left, right) all way different.

I do not see the point in comparing these saws. Other than saying that you can kick ass with a way larger saw? The vibration is in the red zone on the 084 and 088, nearly twice the 500i. Never mind the weight difference. I bet Gary's Termite V-8 saw saw would kick 084 ass as well. Its a lot heavier. But there is no comparing them, really.

View attachment 884344
Fabulous picture, WindThrown. I mentioned the comparison because a logger here used to run the 084 for a living, cutting mostly big cottonwood trees. Now he has three 661's that he wants to sell to help pay for a pair of 500i's. He said years ago he would never buy an MS880, even if fuel injected because of the weight.

Fabulous picture, WindThrown. I mentioned the comparison because a logger here used to run the 084 for a living, cutting mostly big cottonwood trees. Now he has three 661's that he wants to sell to help pay for a pair of 500i's. He said years ago he would never buy an MS880, even if fuel injected because of the weight.
Seems an odd way of thinking here. Are you implying added weight or subtracted weight being better in the saws? You seem to indicate that more weight is better... but:

The 084 weighs less than the 088 which weighs less than the MS880.

Can't speak to logging from experience, but I don't want to lug a heavy saw far. The weight savings is the main reason I bought my 550i. Got to say though - sitting a MAC 125 down on a straight 4' red oak to slice it into 18" lengths is fun and somewhat restful. Toting the thing around is neither.

Ron

WindThrown said, "The 084 weighs less than the 088 which weighs less than the MS880."
-------------------------------
I noticed that also. Several loggers also did and perhaps that is one of the reasons that the 084 is still in rather high demand, old as it is. Stihl was adding weight to their popular big saw and not adding much more power, if any. Stihl still needs a saw to cut a log that is this big:
Big Holow Cottonwood1.jpg
Can the 500i do it? I'm not sure. I have not seen anyone here post a Pic of a cut this big using a 500i. The saw you see here might have been a "measly" MS660 pulling a 36" bar and chain.

a165cace32711b5aea8931fdb9263e48.jpg

Way back there I’m running a 36 on a 500i that one was about 5’ across the hinge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got one, and love it... but I'm wondering if anyone is having problems with warm starts. Starts great first thing in the morning (after the 8 bulb pushes) and starts after a short shut off with no problem, but if I leave it for 10 minutes or more and try to restart, it won't fire. Maybe after 3 or 4 rounds of bulb pushing and pulling it finally starts up....
Only have a few tanks so far, but it appears the longer it sits, the more pumps you'll need. Starts easily though.

Try pushing the primer once or twice. Mine fries right up.

View attachment 884344
I took that pic several years ago at the Buckley log show perfect timing

WindThrown said, "The 084 weighs less than the 088 which weighs less than the MS880."
-------------------------------
I noticed that also. Several loggers also did and perhaps that is one of the reasons that the 084 is still in rather high demand, old as it is. Stihl was adding weight to their popular big saw and not adding much more power, if any. Stihl still needs a saw to cut a log that is this big:
View attachment 884398
Can the 500i do it? I'm not sure. I have not seen anyone here post a Pic of a cut this big using a 500i. The saw you see here might have been a "measly" MS660 pulling a 36" bar and chain.

A 500i is not intended to compete with an 880. More like to replace the sweet spot like the 044 of old. You want one of these old Stihl 090 bad boys for that size tree.

090 stihl.jpg

I could have bought this saw some years ago in NorCal. Not for using to fall that size balsam trees with and killing myself in the process. Just for bragging rights and investment purposes.

OK, I'll keep experimenting with it... today was the first day I ran it so I too am only at 4 tanks so far.... but other than the starting issue, its been a blast to run with a 25 on it...
Apparently I had a stuck decomp.... It was causing the saw not to start. In the process of troubleshooting I also pulled the plug (little guy) to check for what sounded like lean running to me (it didn't show any signs of that and it does run a bit higher 13000) and wiggled some wires. Since then the saw fires on one pull, I can let it sit for a while and it now still fires right up. I've now run about 12 tanks thru it and am pretty pleased with it. Fun with a 25 on it... feel like even more of ninja now with the awesome throttle response :) Time will tell....

Latest posts

Back