• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Does Stihl make bigger dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today's question is simple. Does Stihl make bigger dogs for the MS 362? Right now i have the standard dogs that i wouldn't even call dogs but bumper spikes. Yes, they don't take a lot of bar which is good but i think i can do better with a thousand dollar saw. Now, there are a lot of websites like sawagain.com or ebay that you can find aftermarket dogs on but since the prices are in usd and most of the products if not all come from the us the shipping cost is humongous so im more than sure that i could get smth cheaper from stihl. Usually stock dogs and aftermarket dogs tend to be cheaper (excluding WCS and EPS ofc)
So if anyone has any knowledge regarding my question please help me. Even if the dogs don't fit perfectly im willing to file them a little and make 2 holes with a drill. Like what im gonna do with these nails?

Thanks in advance!🙏Screenshot 2024-01-15 235306.png

I made a pair for my 026 from a scrap piece of 316SS with an angle grinder, drill press and a whole bunch of patience. They turnt out great. That may be an option for you if you have a couple basic tools 🤷‍♂️

Today's question is simple. Does Stihl make bigger dogs for the MS 362? Right now i have the standard dogs that i wouldn't even call dogs but bumper spikes. Yes, they don't take a lot of bar which is good but i think i can do better with a thousand dollar saw. Now, there are a lot of websites like sawagain.com or ebay that you can find aftermarket dogs on but since the prices are in usd and most of the products if not all come from the us the shipping cost is humongous so im more than sure that i could get smth cheaper from stihl. Usually stock dogs and aftermarket dogs tend to be cheaper (excluding WCS and EPS ofc)
So if anyone has any knowledge regarding my question please help me. Even if the dogs don't fit perfectly im willing to file them a little and make 2 holes with a drill. Like what im gonna do with these nails?

Thanks in advance!🙏View attachment 1144757
Yes, but they aren’t cheap

If availability is a problem, just buy a replacement identical to the one you have, then weld on some additional spikes as long as you prefer. It needn't be pretty, you just need them to be longer, strong enough to pull against, and sharp enough to stick.

If you were looking for special stock material to start from, sickle knives are very hard, and pretty cheap, too. You'd have to cut them up to the shape you wanted. Any tractor dealership should have these in ready supply.

1705372518698.png

Or not...
To do this little project you would need a grinder to cut out the shape you want, and a welder buddy to attach your newly formed spikes to the OEM version.

If availability is a problem, just buy a replacement identical to the one you have, then weld on some additional spikes as long as you prefer. It needn't be pretty, you just need them to be longer, strong enough to pull against, and sharp enough to stick.

If you were looking for special stock material to start from, sickle knives are very hard, and pretty cheap, too. You'd have to cut them up to the shape you wanted. Any tractor dealership should have these in ready supply.

View attachment 1144866

Or not...
To do this little project you would need a grinder to cut out the shape you want, and a welder buddy to attach your newly formed spikes to the OEM version.
You ever try to weld on one?

Bah, grind off the coating and it’s all just steel :p

Seal Of Approval Thumbs Up GIF

Bill might be referring to the difficulty of welding due to the high carbon content of the sickle teeth. I wouldn't sweat it, but some folks might have trouble.

Bucking spike, or sickle bar tooth?

I don't care what they are made out of, I could weld them, no problem. Other folks might not be so lucky. If you have any insight, Bill, why don't you share it?
I was talking about the sickle teeth and when you are welding you damn sure better care what the material you are welding on is. :omg:

Seal Of Approval Thumbs Up GIF

Bill might be referring to the difficulty of welding due to the high carbon content of the sickle teeth. I wouldn't sweat it, but some folks might have trouble.
I’d just use whatever scrap steel I have in that gauge…weld it on, gring to needed shape and then heat treat. No big deal. It’s just a dog, sheesh.

Thanks in advance!🙏View attachment 1144757
There is a larger set of spikes from Stihl that use the roller type chain catcher. I can get you part numbers but I’m not gonna be back to work until Wednesday. I’ve got a set on my 036 Pro which will also fit the 362.

find a section of stainless steel from a old table top, trace the shape of yours onto it then change the length/shape to suit you then cut them out and drill the holes you marked, needs to be 14-16 gauge thickness.
If you have the money the dogs from this this company do not disappoint, just be ready to get the fasteners and chain catcher as well, use stihl fasteners or they will break, come loose or not fit properly.

https://www.baileysonline.com/pro-safety-felling-dogs-4-point-for-stihl-ms-361-ms-362-chainsaws.html

find a section of stainless steel from a old table top, trace the shape of yours onto it then change the length/shape to suit you then cut them out and drill the holes you marked, needs to be 14-16 gauge thickness.
If you have the money the dogs from this this company do not disappoint, just be ready to get the fasteners and chain catcher as well, use stihl fasteners or they will break, come loose or not fit properly.

https://www.baileysonline.com/pro-safety-felling-dogs-4-point-for-stihl-ms-361-ms-362-chainsaws.html
I would use 10g at a minimum...1/8"

Latest posts

Back