Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayczech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright guys,

Looking into buying one of the MOST anticipated and most talked about saw on the market to date.

The Stihl 500i chainsaw. I have some questions for people who have them, and people who may sell them.

I live in central Minnesota, I knew from the get go they are hard to come by. I have called every dealership within 100 mile radius of me, no one has it. No suprise there, the suprise came from the reasons. Some had no clue why they cant get them, others said covid 19 (believable) and others were just rude and wouldn't help me out (probably sick of the same questions) my question is if anyone knew the reason they are hard to come by, or when we may see them in central Minnesota?

Second question is for current owners.

Are they worth the hype? Are they worth that price tag? And how well do they hold up after consistent use?

Thank you guys in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alright guys,

Looking into buying one of the MOST anticipated and most talked about saw on the market to date.

The Stihl 500i chainsaw. I have some questions for people who have them, and people who may sell them.

I live in central Minnesota, I knew from the get go they are hard to come by. I have called every dealership within 100 mile radius of me, no one has it. No suprise there, the suprise came from the reasons. Some had no clue why they cant get them, others said covid 19 (believable) and others were just rude and wouldn't help me out (probably sick of the same questions) my question is if anyone knew the reason they are hard to come by, or when we may see them in central Minnesota?

Are they worth the hype? Are they worth that price tag? And how well do they hold up after consistent use?

SAW IS GREAT! HAVE RUN ONE EVERYDAY FOR 2 MONTHS CUTTING LOGS INTO ROUNDS FOR A LOCAL FIREWOOD BUSINESS. EXCELLENT POWER. RUNS LIKE A PORTED SAW. TURNS OUT FIREWOOD IN NO TIME FLAT AND IMHO IS WORTH THE $. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE SAW TO MAKE YOU $.

That is great to hear! I am a husqvarna man, but we moved to a new area and husqvarna isnt as popular as it was where I'm originally from. I currently do light logging and alot of firewood during the year, and need a bigger saw my main go to is a 562xp, which works great for small stuff up to 24inches, but it didn't like it when I put a 28 inch bar on it to clean up a cottonwood tree.

For sale, or just for use? Do you know what part of central Minnesota hes from?

I don't think he wants to sell it, I was just thinking you could see what he thought. If he's open to the idea, maybe you guys could meet up and you could give it a try. But I'm not trying to put words in Nic's mouth. He lives close to the cities.

I don't think he wants to sell it, I was just thinking you could see what he thought. If he's open to the idea, maybe you guys could meet up and you could give it a try. But I'm not trying to put words in Nic's mouth. He lives close to the cities.
That what I thought you were saying, was just clarifying. Thank you! I will see what his thoughts on the saw is. I appreciate your help, and apologize for the slight misunderstanding.

I just broke mine in last week falling timber it’s been a good smooth saw, if you’re used to more rpms it’s a little different to run.
6261171370ef315954e6bc946a760718.jpg

1e817f2b1c3a88bcd34578312dd681a0.jpg

That filter is after a day of cutting it was pretty dirty but never missed a lick. That said my only complaint with it is the dawg for what I’m cutting aren’t large enough to dig into our thick second growth bark of the Doug fir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just broke mine in last week falling timber it’s been a good smooth saw, if you’re used to more rpms it’s a little different to run.
6261171370ef315954e6bc946a760718.jpg

1e817f2b1c3a88bcd34578312dd681a0.jpg

That filter is after a day of cutting it was pretty dirty but never missed a lick. That said my only complaint with it is the dawg for what I’m cutting aren’t large enough to dig into our thick second growth bark of the Doug fir.

That is some gorgeous timber! What size bar are you running? Will it handle a 36 like they say it will? I was going to upgrade my spikes if I get the saw, I had to do that to my 562, otherwise it doesn't grab ahold of the cottonwood bark either. I seen a nice set on west coast saws website.

I only have about 5 tanks through mine so far. I really like it. Its power curve seems more akin to my old 82cc MACs than most modern saws I have used, so the transition has been easy.

Don’t know how Skean cuts thick bark trees with the short spikes. IMO they are only so-so in eastern hardwood.

Mine wears a 25” bar and an 8 pin. I have no doubt it has the power to handle a 32” well.

Ron

That is some gorgeous timber! What size bar are you running? Will it handle a 36 like they say it will? I was going to upgrade my spikes if I get the saw, I had to do that to my 562, otherwise it doesn't grab ahold of the cottonwood bark either. I seen a nice set on west coast saws website.

I only have about 5 tanks through mine so far. I really like it. Its power curve seems more akin to my old 82cc MACs than most modern saws I have used, so the transition has been easy.

Don’t know how Skean cuts thick bark trees with the short spikes. IMO they are only so-so in eastern hardwood.

Mine wears a 25” bar and an 8 pin. I have no doubt it has the power to handle a 32” well.

Ron

This one is a west coast R version so it’s different dawgs then the standard version but they still aren’t very grabby. My 562 has a set of true custom dawgs they work really well in our timber the issue comes when you get a guy that can break a hammer running stuff. This one is running a 8 pin 32” semi skip square I have no doubt it’d pull a 36 but I’m not sure the AV would be very happy for long.

Ron you need to try throwing a longer bar on it this one seems to love more bar and cutters.

We have sold about 15 of them. The first 8 or so we had a list of customers waiting and when they came in they all came in right away to buy them. We haven’t had one come in in the last 3 months and it’s because of Covid

We have been out of the following saws for the last 3 months 170, 171, 251, 271, 291, 311 and 391. We have been out of the 261 and 362 for longer, might be pushing 5-6 months since we have had them. Same with the 661 CM. We did get some 661 non M-Tronic models in a month ago but we called our best timber falling companies and they came and got them all.
We have a bunch of 250s, some 462s and 461s.
We have every Husqvarna model except the 555.
Dont get me started on HONDA equipment. It’s been a nightmare.
All of our customers love the 500i. I have not put one in wood but have test ran pretty much all the ones we have sold and they rip. The trigger response is out of this world. I wish I could give you a better review of it but I have not cut with one yet.

A buddy of mine got one and he said it burns through gas like crazy, as in 6 cuts in 36 inch wood and it's out of fuel. Does that sound right to those of you that run them? That sounds way too quick to me, but I haven't even seen one in person and he's had his for a few months.

A buddy of mine got one and he said it burns through gas like crazy, as in 6 cuts in 36 inch wood and it's out of fuel. Does that sound right to those of you that run them? That sounds way too quick to me, but I haven't even seen one in person and he's had his for a few months.

The wood I’m in is at least 36” and it’s about the same fuel economy as the husky 390’s I ran all the time.

Alright guys,

Most incredible saw I've ever run. I've had it about 2 months now. Used it for bucking firewood, brushing/clearing trails and felling (anywhere from 6"-24"). Power to weight can't be beat, extremely comfortable, fantastic balance (w 25" light bar) and throttle response is off the charts. I've got the larger bumper spikes and I threw one of the "westcoast saws" bark boxes on there. It's a freakin mean machine! Ive only cut in soft woods so far mainly bc that's all we have where I'm at. One thing I really love is that when it's cold (-20 was the coldest so far) the saw fires up no problem, 2-3 pulls. Air filter gets the little stuff on the filter and around but haven't seen anything get thru yet but seems to be a concern point. I'm not worried about it much. For my intended uses which includes hiking with it for 10-15 miles there's nothing out there than can touch it! I've carried a lot of saws in my career for long distances and many uses. Until something comes along that matches or beats this saw, this is my new go to for everything!

Love mine. Love the light weight. Love the torquey motor. Best off the shelf saw I've ever ran. It tops my list of favorite saw for power and smoothness. For comparison saws I've owned: Sthil 260 pro , 032 , 044 , 460 , 064 ,066 , 661, 056 super and ported Husky 372 xpw. For as long as it holds up to my previous Sthils durability I'll be happy as a clam.20201114_133211.jpg

Back