We (humans) were designed to climb trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once human legs became longer than their arms and lost the ability to grip with their feet we lost the ability to climb well. Now we use gear to make up for it.

Last edited:
I think with right boots and some practice we can use our feet a little more. I'd be lost if I lost my feet. I'd have to use a lanyard.

The evolution of our pyshce has not caught up to that of our bodies. Although the evolutionary process of homo-sapiens has hindered our ability to climb as well as our distant relatives it is still an inate ability and desire that lies in all of us. To those of you who visit this site read the section Anthropology. I found this particularly interesting.

Go prune a small "lets say 20' cherry or ash......whatever" you'll find you can climb perfectly well without ropes and harness, there is a critical point ......... and thats a natural fear of heights......., we were not designed to climb trees, however some of us in the eyes of some onlookers are classed as perverted or just plain crazy, swinging around high up in the canopy........... I was recently critisised by some onlookers as I abseiled into the crown of an oak from my TIP in an overhanging sycamore, the guy reckoned I was like a monkey , but also must have the intelligence of a monkey to be up there in the first place????? are monkeys intelligent?:confused: he was also very eager to know why i needed all the ropes and bits and pieces? My groundsman was quick to explain ; because he's not a monkey he's a professional tree climber, and his life depends on ropes and all the jangly bits and pieces...........this monkey must have impressed this guy and his family as they sat and watched me for a good 2 hours dismantle the oak, followed by a thousand questions as i returned to earth........Jock, sorry i probably wandered away from the point there.

I had another person come up after the job, thanking me for the hours of entertainment the family got wathcing me move around the canopy. Big family gathering for Passover at the customers nieghbors house.

Added benni i that we may get a willow job from them.

I climb barefoot so I can use my big toe to hold onto branches, twigs and nubs. Not really, but my friends do call me the redheaded jungle monkey. I picked up a job a month or two ago from "the guy across the street". He and his wife brought some lawn chairs out in their front yard and watched me work from across the street off and on all day. Finally he came over and bombed me w/ questions and interest, then he had me clean up 2 nice live oaks for him. Tight work. For some reason I love spectators. Call me a show off, err maybe just a redneck. . . Hey ya'll, watch this. . . Splat!

-Mike-
:D

monkey training

yeah, I always thought it would be cool to train monkeys to do tree work. Train 'em to use a saw and send 'em up the danger trees. And just imagine a trained 'ground monkey'. No need to pull out the Big Shot anymore, just send up the new guy, I mean, monkey. I'm laughing to myself just thinking of the possibilities

Back