026/026Pro? or Husky??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high life man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I may file away my plans for an 066. I've been using my old Jons 520 alot lately. It's amazing how much wood you can cut with a 50cc saw - and with far less fatigue than my 044.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a smaller saw instead of a larger one to complement the 44. Ok, I just want another saw.

So I've read through all the posts, and visited my dealer. I've decided on either an 026, 026 Pro, or a Husky 346XP. I'd consider a 357XP but it's $529 where I live.

Question is, I've read here that the 026 outcuts an 026 Pro. How? Why?

Is the 346 all it's cracked up to be? Will it outcut the 026 stock vs. stock?

I'd assume that a Jons 2149 wouldn't keep up with either.

I'd keep running the 520, but the saw is kind of a keepsake. I feel uncomfortable using it on the job.

Your input is appreciated. :confused:

I cannot say anything about the 026/026pro as I have never used or been under the hood of one....

The 346, at $670 retail cdn...is a great saw...the cylinder is built very well..full quad loop system...single ring piston( I am not starting that debate again)...;)once I get the glow plug to work in Lamberts it will be better...hehehe

The 2149 is a few more cc, but less hp...still has all the pro features...and retails for only about 550 cdn....I havent been in the cylinder yet to know much about it....

I honestly dont believe you can go wrong with any of the saws you are debating over....see what dealer is going to treat ya the best and is the most knowledgeable and helpful...

-my 3 cents

why would you want to buy a saw thats designation starts with 0?:confused:

i think there are happy 026 owners and there are owners of the 346 that are so much more happy that it really depends on the price you can get for these two. both have a really good reputation.:)

High-Life Man,

I have recently been looking at similar saws. One thing that has been pointed out to me is that, because Stihl works exclusively through dealers and huskies can be bought over the web, you have an extra price-differential in the form of sales tax. A Stihl 026 might go for $400 US - but tax added kicks it up around $425. Compare that to a Husky 346 from Alamia.com which is $360 US delivered.

Also Walt and others mentioned the Shindaiwa 488 - with a modified bar and chain. That rig really deserves a long hard look if you are in a place where you can get parts. I have seen prices for these saws closer to $340 US.

The real saw-guys can give you the low-down on the engines and the "build quality" and all of that. One thing that was pointed out to me by Walt and John W is that the 346 has steel springs in the anti-vibration system and this may be better for damping the low-frequency vibrations that can lead to numb hands. I haven't had a chance to use any of these saws all day long to really know if that's a noticeable difference.

Listening to people who own these saws, I hear very little negative feedback about any of them and much praise. I don't think you can go wrong. I am interested to hear what people say about the 026 v. 026 pro, as I have been curious about that myself.

Happy shopping,

Steve

The 026 pro has a compression release for @ $30 more. It
really doesn't need one. It is a well made smaller saw, little
brother of the 036.

High Life man,
I have all three saws, the 026/026pro and the 346Xp. I can tell you that I was a dyed in the wool stihl man. However, after reading this forum for awhile I bought a 346Xp. Stock I don't think the 026s touch the 346XP. This is my opinion and I don't have any fancy instruments to test it out. I'm talkin' in the woods cuttin' wood, were it really matters. Husky finally got with it and put a single control for the saw, like the Stihls have and the side chain tensioner. This is one powerfull little saw. I still like my 026s,especially the 026, don't bother with the pro. I think what makes the difference is the speed of the 346XP. Now my only question is do I get it suped up? I bought my 346XP at a local dealer up here in Mass. for 399$ but I suspect that you can get it for less from chainsawworld and probably walkers and Madsen's.
So have at it and whatever one you get you are buying from the top saws in the world. I would recommend the 346XP without reservation.

Woodho

Has the whole world gone husky? I own a o26 best little saw I've ever run. I've not had the chance to run any husky's, but from what I've read here you can't go wrong.Stihl makes one of the best saws in the world,as does husky. So you cant go wrong either way. Stick with stihl if you are a stihl man, there nothing worse than than ending up with something you dont want.If you know stihl stay there .Stihl may cost you more but that's ok if that's your brand of choice.

Whole World Gone Husky?

Hi Sawcrazy, when you have been around saws long enough, or are open minded enough to see things you aren`t familiar with, you will notice cycles in the way things are. This is simple human nature and I believe that it also follows manufacturers development and production cycles. There was a time, maybe 10 or 12 years ago where Stihl had more stars in it`s line up, now the Husky engineers have been working overtime to change that while Stihl has been playing out the maximum sales potential of their "stars". Between Husky and Stihl, you will probably see a reversal of brand favoritism several times in the average lifetime. The smaller dogs like Solo, Echo, Dolmar, and Oleo- Mac will continue to have their smaller followings of die hard fans, but they lack the marketing clout to amass huge amounts of capital for revolutionary product development, and acceptance when it hits the market. Let`s say for example that Dolmar first marketed Turbo air cleaning, or Echo came up with single lever control. these features would be like a fart in the mall, you might notice, but then it would be quickly forgotten. Now that I have planted that image in your mind, I would recommend the 346XP hands down. It`s got the power to whup an 026, and it`s smooth, really smooth, and balance is perfect with a longer bar. You wouldn`t really know all this if you don`t get the chance to demo one however, so I suggest that anyone considering any saw should seek out someone to let them demo that model. And those of us who have those models, whether we be dealers or individuals, should do what we can to accomodate others who would like to try our saws. I`m not suggesting that anyone should have to loan a saw out, you can and should be there, but I believe the dividends paid back to you will be large. Namely friendships and a continuation of the "brotherhood of the chainsaw", and I belive that most times that someone demos a saw, they end up buying from the dealer who accomodated them. I`d like to see some real support from the manufacturers on providing credit to dealers who demo, because not only does it get their product exposure, it also helps knowledgable dealers impart valuable safety and production knowledge to the consumer. Everybody needs safety, and who wouldn`t buy a saw that increased their output, in any given price range? I know a few dealers who demo new pro saws, but they are Husky and Jonsered dealers, in fact, two of these dealers sell Stihl also, but you can`t demo one. Stihl reps need to take notice. I`ve got to go, my soapbox is starting to collapse under my weightiness. Just remember, buy Husky, buy Husky, buy Husky, buy Husky, .............. Russ

Its hard to believe but Huskyman has never used a 346XP. I have used an 026 and it outcut my 55. I dont think you can go wrong either way.

The truth is the truth. I dont think it will now with my Walkerized muffler, though. I was impressed by the 026, just not the price of it.

When buying from the internet one must think about what if it's not what you want? You must then return the item at your expence.Witch cost you about what you would pay in tax (or so)from your local dealer.when a guy wants to save twenty to fifty dollars and buy online just be willing to put up with time waiting on ups to deliver your saw.I'm not one that likes to wait so its worth it to me to spend the extra money and have a place were I can atleast go and complain about the saw and may be return it . Like I said I know not husky but stihl ,that does not mean I have'nt an open mind just telling what I know.

I bought an 026 Pro last year to compliment a 372xp. I also was debating the 346xp/026 issue. I never was impressed with the way the 026 Pro ran. It cut fine, but it would die at idle one minute and race the next. It was really finicky with weather changes. You couldn't adjust the high speed on the carb. Then I bought a Solo 651. Same weight, but more horsepower than either the 026 or 346xp. I sold the 026 shortly thereafter. I have never used a 346XP, but I would seriously consider it as well as the Solo over the Stihl.

Husky vs. Stihl

We sell both Husq and Stihl. I have heard most of the members favor Husky in lieu of Stihl. Here is my opinion as objective as I can be. No doubt that the Husky will give you a little more power than the Stihl across the board. However, when we sell a saw we will sell a o26/o26pro everytime over Husq. The reason is that all of the external components are much more reliable. Price your chain brake on the 346 or any other Husky....$80.00 later. This is not your dealers fault as Husq has cut their dealers margin and increased the list price of the parts. I cant say enough about the reliablity of the oiler system, ha, ha, ha. These components are much more reliable on the Stihl. Husq version of the side tensioner is a far cry from Stihls tride and true design.

If power is your concern, husq will give more bang for the buck. If your concern is the value of the saw my money is on Stihl.

ps: o26 vs. o26pro...decompression valve and compensating carburetor. I could explain the carb in more detail if you wish.

At our dealership we do demonstrate our pro saws...Stihls incl...so check around.

husky on huge overall average offers much more bang for the buck than stihl that has offered little improvement on their models lately except for changing the numbering system of their saws. husky has recently brought out several saws that have great advantages for the wood cutter. John Walker has dynoed these saws stock and modified and the differences after the modifications are even more pronounced. the huskies cut quicker than their stihl counterparts for less money. 346xp is one of the best saws made by husky and is very fast. lots of pro users here can tell you this. jokers has one and i think he has experience with the 026 too so he can shed the light, and maybe gyrocopter has gotten one of his 346 back and cut some wood with his for a while so he can tell you about it too. stihl has been riding the name for too long, resting on its laurels and changing numbers while husky has put out some great new pro models.

the stihls "intellicarb" is a way of robbing your stihl chainsaw of power while still being able to avoid cleaning your air filter through regular maintenance, but still being able to run your saw.
it balances the fuel throughput as your stihl clogs its airfilter it reduces the amount of fuel "thrown into the mix" [sic] thus robbing power.

A very gimmick-like device in my opinion - and hey how about them expensive intellicarb parts? how much do they cost? oh thats right...:eek: and such fun to work on....:D

Otto is right in general about the 026 pro. It does meter the gas input dependent on the air flow across its diaphram. As far as a loss of power it is nearly unnoticed. I went to Germany once on Stihls bill, and they gave us a pretty amazing demonstration. They took a new o26 and cut through approx. a 20" log...did pretty well. Then they took its air filter covered 90% of the surface area with duct tape. The o26 struggled and flooded its way through the log...not impressed. Then they took the o26 pro and did the same experiment. The o26pro with its air filter 90% covered by duct tape still cut through that 20" log with no problem. Seriously, I could not see any difference myself although Stihl admitted a 6% power loss.

Otto, when you are the largest selling chainsaw in the world everyone is gunning for you. Husq has come up with some nice saws, Intelli carbs are no harder to work on than any other....lets race and see how fast I can get my carb off a o26, and you do your 346xp.

In addition, lets change the clutch or rim out too. That is convenient. If I were on a fire line and needed to change my sprocket I would burn before I could get that changed. Maybe that is why the forest service at least here in CO will NOT purchase Husqvarna...lets add the fire department to that list also. It is not just a clip and washer its a clutch that you hope doesnt jam. Oh air tools do no good since they did away with the nut on the clutch. As I said Husq you spend your dollars on power. Stihl you spend your money on well designed chain brakes, oilers, tensioners and other components. Power does no good if the rest of your machine does not function. Next time you have a chance to try both just take those chain brakes and lock and unlock each of them. See which air cover you would rather remove. Then go to the counter and purchase a o26pro. You cant buy them online but really what is a 30-60 dollar saving in the grand scheme of life?

Got carried away.

MS200T uses an improved air flow system for cooling, but more significantly is really the fuel caps. They are nice...liked the old ones though because we sold a bunch of them...guess we will find a new profit center. ha ha.

Another consideration for Stihl was with new carb laws and designs changing slightly the quite honestly ran out of numbers. The have made nearly ever two digit saw. Instead of confusing dealers and customers with a old style/new style scenerio the added a third number to their models.

Another item to keep in mind when talking about which companies are going where. The biggest increase in sales for Stihl was in their trimmers, blowers, and other garden equipment. Husqvarna is not even a mention in this market. The number of trimmers sold far outweighs the number of chainsaws sold. Stihl has come out with some incredible deals and values in this market. So to say that they have engineered nothing new and are just riding their name is no totally true. Saws have not changed much. Maybe they are the smart ones in trying to improve on what they werent doing well instead of changing the products they already dominate.

Back