029 bar oil leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt4lumber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl o29 super that I cannot get to stop leaking Bar Oil I'm not sure if I need new o- rings/ bushings, or what is going on with it.can anyone give me some insight on how to diagnose what needs repaired on this?

Where the o-ring pushes into the plastic housing?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I second HarleyT's post. My 017 was leaking and a new line solved it. I will say to get oem not AM. The AM seems to leak pretty easily as the line is not as pliable. Oem was like $7 from what I remember.

Oh so that filter is down in the bar oil tank? That's the area that I'm looking for Maybe it's tough to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from maybe I have something put back together a little Loosely or wrong it seems to be leaking more around the pump itself or the Worm Drive brass seal is not working maybe? I will look at the line and see if that's a possibility

It's probably the line considering the age of the saw. It was hard to pinpoint the leak on my 017, but I knew that that was the only logical problem given the age of the saw and that it had about 2 hours use on it when I got a hold of it. If my memory serves, it comes out of the oil tank almost directly under the handlebar. Can't remember if I had to take of the handle assembly the second time to replace it with an OEM after the aftermarket was leaking again. Probably did, but I think I figured out how to do it without taking it apart any more beyond the handlebar.

Hard to tell without having the saw in front of us to look at, that is why I'll let the O.P. look and see. the line might just be pulled out a tad, it shouldn't be hard to find out, once one knows where to look.

Ok, took saw back apart to get to that stupid tiny buried hose, and it looks wet all over around it.wheres best place to get one(oem replacement)?any specific part number?

Ok thanks.ill start there for 10$ or less and let ya know if that works

New hose installed, but stihl leaking...(possibly not as bad though)
I need to check the vent I guess?

I don't like how loose the oil line plugs onto the bottom of the fitting on the saw as it seems like it is loose enough even with a new hose that it could be leaking there...
The hoses I bought were the correct ones and OEM Stihl.I can't imagine they're supposed to be any type of spring clamp on there but where it connects to the saw is only a barb fitting?

So Its leaking from multiple places( cap- center- old style screw in at where the square inner part snaps into round part and still from other places that I can't see)
Biggest problem is there's no bar oil coming off the chain when running wide open held nose of bar close to a piece of cardboard...
I'm leaning more towards chasing the idea that it's not properly venting somehow(old 029 super saw here by the way)

Looseness I'm referring to was the new oil hose being pushed up onto barb fitting( nipple)do they need a clamp?(029 super)
It leaks oil everywhere except where it's supposed to!!!

Back