029 bar oil leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible that all you need is a new oil tank cap? Cap washer might be dried out or broken or the cap could be cracked. Worth looking at. Screwdrivers tear apart Stihl caps. That's why I made one of these cap twisters in my shop:
Cap Twister.jpg

Here's my insight. I have a ms290. The saw obviously was pushing oil out a ridiculous amount when i got it. I knew it would be an issue. With the saw completely tore down, everything looked good. I had the saw laying clutch side down for a week and nothing came out.
Then i started a warm fire in the shop and kept it going for a few days. must have averaged 35 degrees for a week then 70 for 4 days. ANYWAY, when i had the saw sitting straight up for those 3 days, bar oil pushed out the conventional bar oil hole until empty.
So, I filled the oil tank back up and replaced the flippy cap. It hasn't leaked since.
The heat cycle presurized the tank and it leaked out the easiest path.

Is it possible that all you need is a new oil tank cap? Cap washer might be dried out or broken or the cap could be cracked. Worth looking at. Screwdrivers tear apart Stihl caps. That's why I made one of these cap twisters in my shop:
View attachment 895416
The original cap was cracked on the internal portion, letting it leak out where the parts snap together (hexagon shape to round)

The original cap was cracked on the internal portion, letting it leak out where the parts snap together (hexagon shape to round)
I'm glad you figured it out and hopefully it only puts oil where it's supposed to now.

Back