036/360 vs MS 361 poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer

• 036/ MS 360

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • MS 361

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters
036/360 vs MS 361

I have a 036 bought it new in 92. It has seen alot of wood, never had 1 problem with it. ran a couple of ms 361's for a few hrs. thet were nice, I think they are constipated stock. I dont know if it will be as durable with heavy use with out some muffler mods. didn't care for the way the a/v system made the bar "float" when trying to start a cut in dead dry wood, I think it probaly wouldn't be as much of a problem with a little more stick time

Now, which of you guys would trade your 036/360/361 for a 440?

One of the father's is a 036 so logically I pick up the new version the 361. I actually like the AV in the 361 and you can feel it after a while cutting. May be because I'm a baby, but I like not feeling the vibes in the hands after shutting off the say.
Chad

I wouldn't run out and buy a 361 if I already had a 036/360 but the 361 is a nicer saw to run.

Too many votes from people who have only handled one or the other for a very short period of time(one or two cuts). Run them both for a period of time and the decision is much simpler.

I own two 361's so I may be biased. I have run a 036 and it is one heck of a nice saw and the reason I wanted this size saw in the first place. The 360 just wasn't available and the 361 has been all that I expected and more.

360 vs 361

I have logged a good amount of time on both. The 361 in stock form sounds like a strangled chicken and is missing some grunt. The 036/360 has more grunt and sounds a lot better. But I did a muff mode on the 361 and now In smaller wood it is close to the 440:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Now, which of you guys would trade your 036/360/361 for a 440?

In a heart beat, In fact I would trade my good running 036 for a 440 that looked good but was in need of a piston and rings.

In fact, I am surprised that more folks here to not consider the 440 the best firewood saw, not the 361 or 036. I realize that most people do not need a 440 for 5 or 10 cords of wood, that is when the 290/390 works fine. But if you are in the fire wood buisness like myself a 60 cc saw does not cut it. I can not imagine cutting blocks all day with anything under 70 cc's

Yep

In a heart beat, In fact I would trade my good running 036 for a 440 that looked good but was in need of a piston and rings.

In fact, I am surprised that more folks here to not consider the 440 the best firewood saw, not the 361 or 036. I realize that most people do not need a 440 for 5 or 10 cords of wood, that is when the 290/390 works fine. But if you are in the fire wood buisness like myself a 60 cc saw does not cut it. I can not imagine cutting blocks all day with anything under 70 cc's

For general all around cutting, the 70cc saws are what you need I think also. I grab for my 266 and 7900 more than any other saws I own. If I'm just limbing and felling, the 5100 has it hands down. I guess it's like the saying goes, "the right tool for the job". You wouldn't grab a wrench to take out a screw, it's the same for cutting wood. For what I do, the 7900 is the most versatile saw I own and can be used in prit near any situation I run into. However, and this is what I will say, the 036 is about the perfect sized saw for almost anything. I'm awaiting Dolmar to address the 4.5hp range. That's the ONLY gap in the Dolmar line-up I can find. Now, for the 361 or 036??? Depends. I think treeclimber said it best. I borrowed my buddy's 361 for a day to try out. I REALLY liked it. It's a VERY smooth saw. For my preference, and remember now, I'm more old school than most. I preferred the 036. When I dawged in, which is still my problem, it was a little doggier than the old 036's. For a 60cc class saw out of ANY of the newer saws, I'd take the 361 hands down though... The 357 has nothing on it. Matter of fact, I don't think anybody has a saw that'll compete with the 361 in this class. It's kinda like the next class up from the 5100. For line-up, I'd go 5100, to 361 to 7900 to 660. That'd cover everything out there. hehehehehehehehe

boy was I ramblin....

:cheers: eh?

I hope nobody actually read all that...:popcorn:

Just cast my vote for the 361. :clap: I had two 036's and just sold one with the intent of replacing it with a 361. (yeah well, spent a bunch of that money already :laugh: ) I've run both a fair amount and I like the 361 better. I don't think there’s much of a difference in the real power between the two but the 361 seems like it makes it's power over a wider range than the 036. The anti-vibe is not a real issue with me but if it was that would be a nod in the 361's favor also. I don't think I'd ever tell somebody to sell a good 036/360 to get a 361, but if you didn't have either I would definitely say get the MS361.

+1... 'cept I like the anti-vibe of the 361. Better on my hands and arms. The 036/360 and 026/260 are not bad saws tho. I just prefer the 361.

I've got two 044's and would take them any day over the 036/360/361 but only because I have a couple of 50cc saws as well. The 044/440 is a pretty big price jump to a homeowner who is already in sticker shock from the MS361, and for the "one saw" man the extra weight of the 440 is a turn off to. When I cut firewood I cut everything, I use the whole tree. There is no "limbing" in the traditional sense for me, if it's over two inch's I cut it into 18" lengths and burn it for kindling. The idea of toting a 70cc saw to cut 2” inch limb's all day, most of which are at shoulder level (or higher, shhhh :Eye: :Eye: ) just doesn't sit well with most hardwood home heaters. The 50cc saws just don't have the arse to get it done in the bigger wood, so the 60cc saw is the "compromise". Most folks aren’t afflicted with our disease and only want one “tool” :dizzy: to get the job done, so for the one saw firewooder 60cc it is. But I’m with you…. I’d much rather take a 50cc/70cc combo to the woods. Mines usually an MS260/044 for trees up to 22" or MS260/MS460 combo if the trees are 22" to 34” or the MS260/044/MS460/084 combo for the…….. Well you get the idea :laugh:

I have owned a stihl 026 which is a good saw and have run a husky 372xp which is a good saw and I can say that for a firewood cutter there is no better saw than the stihl ms361 all day long as my personal favorite saw I have ever run!! Mine is muffler modded and broken in and I am attached to it without a doubt!!!

The 036 is the saw I started out on and continue to use, almost every day, it fits my hands like a good pair of gloves. When it began to show a great deal of wear, I looked at a 361, way too much $, more than the new heads and manifolds for my Ford 390. I saved up to have my 036 rebuilt. In the mean time I borrowed old, large, heavy, overpowered, yellow painted lumps of alloy, I was very happy to have my old friend back.

Ray

Wow...After a whole day and all the "if you ain't got a 361: you ain't got nothing" preaching around here....I'm surprised they are neck and neck.

And on Josh's note....IMO the 440 is my favorite go to saw. I have bigger ones, littler ones and tweeners, but the 440 is just downright awesome for me and general use. it isn't much more weight than the 036/360 and has a lot more grunt (in stock form).

I have a stock 036, modded 360 and a couple 044/440's. I wouldn't trade my 036 for a 440, but that is because I am retarded and think I need 20 saws instead of one or two. Of course, I would trade the 036 pro and some cash for a brand new 440...... :)

It would be real hard to choose between the 440 and 7900 if the need ever arised that I had to have one and only one saw. I will try not to think about that day ever coming. erh, I wil not think about that....lol

Last edited:
I've owned several 036/360's and used them extensively with a great deal of LOVE. However, if my wife ever decided to start supporting our relationship (my inner desire to cut faster), I'd sell most the herd and get two more 361's!:givebeer:

I'm not saying they're the end-all-be-all like portrayed on this site but, I can say, it's the nicest, most convenient and practical saw I've ever owned (for what I do).:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back