Apples vs pineapples: ms291 vs cs501p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tikka

Reaction score
Hey guys! Great forum here - lots of very useful info!

I wanted to pick your collective brain on an apples vs pineapples/oranges comparison: ms291 vs cs501p.
Long story short, due to the supply chain cockups, ended up with both - trying to figure out which to keep...

Stihl MS291 w. 18" light 04 bar - $80 off
Echo CS501P w. 20" fold bar - same price before discount
Replacing/supplementing Poulan P3314 w. 16" bar - ran into the ground over the years :)

Objective: fell and cut up arount 30 trees on my property (mostly dead ash) - all under 20", a few bigger ones - though most are tall and lancky. I cound have finished it with a 33cc but it broke (waiting for parts) which is a good excuse to upgrade :) beyond that I dont have any major tasks for it - treating as a long term nice to have...

Background: while serving valiantly, my old little cheapo poulan died mid job ;) but after a big storm in Ontario, there is a shortage of chainsaws, coz everybody needs one lol
291 was on $80 off sale and I was gonna get one but all dealers were out of either heads or bars coz sale and the storm... Homedepot had a 501p so I ordered it but they later told me it would be 3 weeks late, so I checked sthil for updates and one of the dealers got bars last night and could do the 291. Went and bought the 291 and by the time I got back from work, the 501 has arrived... got figure - liars lol...

At the same price give or take I would prob go for Echo - it is lighter but the bar is heavier, whereas sthil is heavier but got a lighter bar. I like the echo but is it $80 better :)
What do you fellas think? NO mods in the foreseeable future (got motorcycle and home improvement priorities lol)

meh, both are good saws, far better then the poo lawn. Keep good non heathanol fuel in em, and they should last a long long time.

Personally I would have gone with a slightly bigger saw, but that also means more expense, however when falling timber, more power is never something you wish you DIDN'T have.

Agreed. The 291 is a disposable, homeowner, limited use saw with a clamshell engine design. I bought one like new for $100 off a guy a couple of years ago and gave it to a neighbor who needed a saw. He ran it very little and for some reason scored the piston and cylinder. Stihl dealer said $475 to fix, which basically means it's not worth fixing, just go buy a new saw. As I know the echo 501 has a magnesium case and is worth repairing if needed. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let me know:). And Echos have a reputation as being overbuilt for their price point.

Oh, and I'm giving the same neighbor a 261, course he's paying for this saw...lol.

Back