The usual suspects: 353 vs. PS-5100 vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsc86

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After many years of mostly reliable, if under whelming, performace and longevity from the consumer chainsaws I've owned and needing a bigger unit for various larger projects, decided it was time to step up to a better saw like a Stihl, Husky, Makita, Echo, etc.

Did a lot of poking around various web forums, like this one, found a lot of the typical rah rah my brand is better banter, wild performance claims, and even a few seemingly unbiased reports as well. Spent quite a bit of time talking with a close friend and trusted 2-stroke junkie like myself. He's a bit of a Stihl lover, but I think more because they are plentiful in his area and he's been able to extract some good performance gains from them. He tried to convince me to wait for a blown up Stihl, but I've grown tired of wrenching on my own equipment right from the start, so preferred to start this venture with new hardware.

Wading through all the info, it became fairly clear that the ~$400 price point seemed to be the best bang for the buck for a typical homeowner or non-logging worker, with the lower end pure consumer target models lacking some key features I wanted and the next step up was a bit more than I was willing to spend for a saw that I didn't need to make a living with. I wish the various threads on these saws focused a bit more on features, strengths, and weaknesses vs. brand bashing and mostly useless "+1" replies, but if you are diligent, I think it is possible to make an informed choice- not that any of them would truly be bad choices.

The Dolmar PS-5100 really got my interest early on, but trying to find anything remotely close to a stocking dealer, was all but impossible in the NE Illinois SE Wisconsin areas. Finally found 1 PS-5100S left at Areal Equipment in Wheeling, IL for $389 w/18" bar/chain combo. I guess my long term fear was lack of service/support down the road and couldn't bring myself to pulling the trigger.

Stihl was the brand I figured I'd be buying. Lots of good friends and business associates have them and overall Stihl seems to have the best dealer and parts network around. But I was a bit disappointed in the gap in their lineup for this $400 price point. The new MS-290 didn't have all the build features or oomph I was wanting and the MS-260/MS-260 Pro seemed to fetch a big premium in price with no one really wanting to deal on them.

Husqvarna kept my attention the most. Early on I nearly almost went ahead and bought the 455 Rancher from a local big box. Figured it was a huge step up from any Poulan or Craftsman I've owned. Fortunately did some digging to find out that it wasn't quite the saw I was hoping for in build design and features. The 35x models, however, definitely did. I went ahead and checked out the 353, 359, and 346XP models, all which had the features like magnesium cases, easy to service air filters, manual decompression, overall 'feel', relative low weight to high horsepower numbers, solid dealer network, and overall favorable reviews.

After all the leg work, online reading, and based on some guidance from the selling dealer [Wise Sales, Schaumburg, IL] bought the 353 w/20" bar setup for $384. Put it through some light breakin with a couple heat/cool cycles and then a couple decent size oaks and can't believe I waited so long to buy a good saw! Wish I could justify more than one of these $400 contenders, but for now, not sure how you could get significantly better than this 353 for under $400. Now I guess I'll have to find a deal on a blown up MS361 or 357XP to turn a longer bar.

Based on the number of inquiring threads, there seems to be quite a few people in the market for a better than consumer level saw but not wanting to spend $600 to get it. Which is 'best' can be argued forever, but from my experience, the devil truly is in the details and it was those details that swayed me to the Husqvarna 353. :cheers:

The 353 is a very good saw - borderline to pro class, and a natural choise in the 50cc class, if you exclude the 346xp and 5100S. I prefere it to the MS260.

Imo a 20" bar is a bit too much for it to show its best - get an extra 16" set-up as you main one, and reserve the 20" for when it really is needed.

It it has a cat muffler, get it changed out for a non-cat one.

Last edited:
ISC86,

Welcome! Great choice. Stick around to learn and swap stories.

Happy sawin',

Joat

Great choice.

Congrats on the choice of the 353. You wouldn't have gone wrong with your other contender - the 5100s either. But being a Husky fan I think you did good.
I agree with SawTroll's advice to get yourself a smaller bar - - 16" would be great, and then that 353 would really whistle.
Post some pics if you can and welcome to the site!

Al :clap: :clap:

That's a great choice in a saw! I really like my 2152 same saw just better looking lol. They are very smooth in the cut and seem to run forever on a tank of fuel. Unless you plan on modding the 361/357 I don't know if you would be all that happy with the increase in power of a 60cc saw for your next one take a look at a 372 before they are all gone. Just helping CAD get a grip here.

After swapping out the cat muffler for a non-cat one and changing my 20"
bar with safety chain for a 17" bar with chisel ground chain my saw really
screams. It is hard to believe that it is the same saw. So, if you like it now,
just do a couple of part swaps and you will be *very* impressed.

I just tried out my brand new 353 this past weekend, and enjoyed the way it handled and the way it cut through oak..

My buddy that has the 260 pro, really liked using it too..

I have a non-cat muffler coming, if it makes it perform any better than it did this weekend, I will be be stoked!!

A Great saw\ I give it 5 stars without the noncat muffler.

I have a 353 with 18" .325 narrow kerf bar and chain. My 026 has a 16" .325 .063. I also have a 346xp with 18" 3/8 .050. Neither the 353 or 026 will come close to the 346xp, but between the two less powerful saws I prefer the 353.

So the 353 obviously beats out something like the MS 270?

I'm kind of in the same boat now, looking for a 50cc saw to replace my Jred 490. I wanted to give Stihl a try because everyone I know raves about them but it seems that others offer more in the 50cc class than Stihl.

I use a saw most for firewood but I want something that tears it up. I was thinking about the 346xp but the 353 is looking good at around $100 less. Any thoughts?

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. 50cc saws are great limbers to go with a nice 70cc firewood saw but if you're a one saw show, step up to a 60cc class. They're light enough for limbing but have enough grunt for that occasional longer bar. I run an 18" bar on my ported 74cc saw. A 20" bar is too much for that 353.

I understand if you think I'm nuts. I am ;). Just don't ever let someone hand you their 440/441/372/575 with a 20" bar for comparison. You won't be satisfied with your saw ever again. hehe.

Ian

Last edited:

I'm kind of in the same boat now, looking for a 50cc saw to replace my Jred 490. I wanted to give Stihl a try because everyone I know raves about them but it seems that others offer more in the 50cc class than Stihl.

I use a saw most for firewood but I want something that tears it up. I was thinking about the 346xp but the 353 is looking good at around $100 less. Any thoughts?

The 50cc 346XP is considerably stronger than the 353. From the specs, the 270 should be similar to the 353 and 260 power. The 346xp and 5100-S are as good as it gets in the 50cc range. The Dolmar 5100-S is priced like a 353, but makes power like the 346XP.

If you're lookin' to really tear the wood up, you'll be wanting a bigger saw. Add 10cc and things change drastically towards the Stihl 361 and the Redmax 621? Husqvarna 357xp and Husky 359. You're now talking more $$ as well.

This appears to be the bargain in the 60cc range

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/RedMax_G621AVS_Chainsaw_20_p/redmax g621avs chainsaw 20.htm

I know the 353 stock HP is 3.3..
Anyone knows what it may be with a non-cat muffler?

And should a non-cat muffler be modifed for more power? :chainsawguy:

I don't think the 353 outcuts the 270, bet it is lighter and better quality.

At just 100USD more, I would take the NE346xp over the 353 any day.

I bought one last year, despite I had a 353 from before - and haven't used the 353 since. The performance differense feels much larger than the specs indicate........:clap: :clap:

And should a non-cat muffler be modified for more power? :chainsawguy:

Just replacing the muffler won't bump the power, it's that a non-cat allows you to modify it without drilling/grinding that poisonous stuff in the cat muffler. A properly modified muffler should get you in the neighborhood of a 10% bump.

Ian

If you're lookin' to really tear the wood up, you'll be wanting a bigger saw. Add 10cc and things change drastically towards the Stihl 361 and the Redmax 621? Husqvarna 357xp and Husky 359. You're now talking more $$ as well.

Like most things with an engine, it is quite easy to get addicted fast! Problem is that I don't ~need~ anything bigger, it's really just a want- and with this economy being such crap, have to limit my wants!

JD CS81 w/24" bar on eBay for under $600, sure seems to be a good deal. But I'll just wait to sell off some other items to fund a bigger saw and continue to enjoy the 353 for now.

As I originally stated, not making a living with the saw, didn't want another $150 box store special, and wasn't willing to spend more than $400. Now just have to keep telling myself that bigger isn't better... ;)

And should a non-cat muffler be modifed for more power? :chainsawguy:

3.3hp is without the cat - they don't admit that it steals power, like they did earlier (242xp, 044C).........:givebeer:

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. 50cc saws are great limbers to go with a nice 70cc firewood saw but if you're a one saw show, step up to a 60cc class. They're light enough for limbing but have enough grunt for that occasional longer bar. I run an 18" bar on my ported 74cc saw. A 20" bar is too much for that 353.

I understand if you think I'm nuts. I am ;). Just don't ever let someone hand you their 440/441/372/575 with a 20" bar for comparison. You won't be satisfied with your saw ever again. hehe.

Ian

Yep I agree a 20" is too much for that saw. An 18" in 325 would be the biggest I'd ever go. I run a 20" 3/8th on my Dolmar 120si 70cc class saw.

I have a 353 with an opened up muffler and a woods-port on it. Yes it did cost an extra 200$ to have it done, and I could have gotten a bigger saw at the price. But that said, I love my 353, it carries a 20" nk .325 bar and chain and it rips right through anything I can get the bar on. I've had it buried in red oak and cherry and it never skipped a beat. How they are stock I don't know. Mine was modded 2 days after it was purchased. But these saws really shine with a little work and are easy to handle and won't tire you out. Congrats on your purchase and happy cutting for a long time to come.

Latest posts

Back