Stihl MS291 and Echo CS-310 (future upgrade to MS261) thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanner84

Reaction score
So I've been using a chainsaw for about 3 years now (ever since buying a home with 10 acres of woods as a backyard :)). I absolutely love everything about cutting and splitting wood, sooo relaxing. I started with a Poulan 4218, then Poulan PR5020. I finally got tired of the Poulans bogging down, did a lot of research, and ended up buying a Stihl MS291 with 20inch bar and RS chain (for felling and bucking my 12 to 24in hardwoods that have died and/or fallen), and an Echo CS-310 for limbing and bucking the smaller stuff (and to eventually use for teaching my kids when old enough). Anything is an upgrade to my Poulans, and I LOVE my 291, but someday I want a MS261. I only cut about an hour a day, 3 to 4 days a week (mostly bucking what's already down) just trying to clean up my woods, so I know I don't NEED a MS261, but whats everyone's thoughts?

My thoughts, at least a 20in bar bucking stuff on the ground for your backs sake. I would get at least a good 60cc, preferably 70cc or more to handle a 24inch bar. Keep the 291 if u like it or find a lighter saw to replace it. 3 saws spaced out 10 or more cc is a good way to make the work easiar by matching the tool to the task.

So I've been using a chainsaw for about 3 years now (ever since buying a home with 10 acres of woods as a backyard :)). I absolutely love everything about cutting and splitting wood, sooo relaxing. I started with a Poulan 4218, then Poulan PR5020. I finally got tired of the Poulans bogging down, did a lot of research, and ended up buying a Stihl MS291 with 20inch bar and RS chain (for felling and bucking my 12 to 24in hardwoods that have died and/or fallen), and an Echo CS-310 for limbing and bucking the smaller stuff (and to eventually use for teaching my kids when old enough). Anything is an upgrade to my Poulans, and I LOVE my 291, but someday I want a MS261. I only cut about an hour a day, 3 to 4 days a week (mostly bucking what's already down) just trying to clean up my woods, so I know I don't NEED a MS261, but whats everyone's thoughts?
Possibly look at an Echo 590? 5 year homeowners warranty?

Almost a year old post.
Did u get another saw tanner84?

Back