038 Super To Magumn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefxrc

Reaction score
It seems like I have read in the past that a 038 Magumn cylinder can be fitted to a 038 Super. Does anyone if this is true? Will there be balancing problems because of the bigger piston ? thanks DAVEFXRC

It seems like I have read in the past that a 038 Magumn cylinder can be fitted to a 038 Super. Does anyone if this is true? Will there be balancing problems because of the bigger piston ? thanks DAVEFXRC

The mag piston assy. (106.7g) does weigh more than the super (94.5g) but no problems with balance, they run the same crank and flywheel (weights from two new OEM assys).

You need to slot the holes on the 038M cyl and gasket to match the case holes on the super, make sure bore remains centered, a 038S base gasket makes a good template. You also need to grind the base of the 038M cyl after slotting the bolt holes to allow the bolt heads to seat flush on the base of the cyl. Finally, open up the holes in the fins a bit so you can tighten up the repositioned bolts with the t27 torx wrench.

The exhaust port is a little wider on the 038M, I matched up the dual port super muffler with the 038M ex. port, opened up the baffle, and enlarged the existing outlets. I'm looking for a 3 outlet 038M muffler for the next conversion. You can still buy them but they are $$$$.

Only tools you need (besides those for a normal rebuild) is a dremel and some bits, a chain file to open up T27 cyl bolt access holes, and a caliper to measure things when slotting the holes.

Back