041/046 Sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Bought one from a member here. JUST got the saw back from the shop. Got a new carb, and tuned it in with the new B&C.

I bought a 28 inch B&C for it, full chisel. The saw is a 041 frame with a 046 piston and jug. It seems that screaming, the saw does fine. If it bogs down, it just doesn't have juice enough to get the RPM's back up unless I pull out of the cut. I usually run a Husqavarna, but I am not opposed to Sthil. So, am I just not used to running a Sthil? Do they have no bottom end? Or am I running too big of a bar?

I looked up the power rating on the saw, and found it to be 76cc (this rating is for a 046). I would think almost 80 cc's should be suffiencient to the B&C, Especially considering I was only cutting some cherry. Not the hardest wood around..

So, where am I wrong?

You must be mistaken somewhere. An 041 and 046 will not interchange parts. They are totally different saws. Maybe 044/046 is what your talking about.;)

That's what I was thinking. I thought 041's were of a totally different configuration than 044-046. But who's to say some hillbilly engineering, may have been involved?
I grew up running the 041 Farm Boss, and Super variety. Lots of torque, lots of weight, no chain brake. The Farm Boss also had lots of vibration. Still got 2 Farm Boss and 1 Super. Parts are hard to come by.

I sold it to you---I was told it was an 044 but it had flippy caps which makes it a MS440. Upon teardown I found it had a 460 topend with a tiny hole in the piston crown so I put in a meteor piston. I had trouble getting the saw to idle and thought it had a sloppy flywheel bearing. When I checked the case for vacuum it seemed kind of ok but not perfect. I don't have a lot of saw experience and didn't need a 76cc saw so rather than splitting the case I decided to sell it.

The piston that came out of it looked like it didn't have a lot of time on it and the cyl looked to be in perfect shape, OEM not chicom stuff.

I sold it to you---I was told it was an 044 but it had flippy caps which makes it a MS440. Upon teardown I found it had a 460 topend with a tiny hole in the piston crown so I put in a meteor piston. I had trouble getting the saw to idle and thought it had a sloppy flywheel bearing. When I checked the case for vacuum it seemed kind of ok but not perfect. I don't have a lot of saw experience and didn't need a 76cc saw so rather than splitting the case I decided to sell it.

The piston that came out of it looked like it didn't have a lot of time on it and the cyl looked to be in perfect shape, OEM not chicom stuff.

There isn't any complaints about you.

My question is if the bar I got was too big, or there may be other problems with the saw.
I am not a Sthil guy.

Easy don't get bent

No. What do pictures have to do with anything?

There are no stickers on the saw.....

Pictures my (not a Stihl guy) friend would show evidence that what you have is not a 041 as you have stated. But probably an 044 or 046. However I think by now you have figured that out. If your saw won't pull a 28" bar in wood you may have engine issues. If you have a shorter bar try it out. Next check your compression

Last edited:
There isn't any complaints about you.

My question is if the bar I got was too big, or there may be other problems with the saw.
I am not a Sthil guy.

I never perceived your post as complaining---just clearing up the confusion.

Looks like your saw shop has new owners. Do you know the guy that worked on your saw? Did he tear it down? My comp tester isn't very accurate but that saw sure seemed to have good compression, when you got the saw it didn't have a base gasket.

Can't help you on bar size but 28" in hardwood sounds like plenty. My experience with longer bars is they're hard to keep out of the dirt for what I cut.

I never perceived your post as complaining---just clearing up the confusion.

Looks like your saw shop has new owners. Do you know the guy that worked on your saw? Did he tear it down? My comp tester isn't very accurate but that saw sure seemed to have good compression, when you got the saw it didn't have a base gasket.

Can't help you on bar size but 28" in hardwood sounds like plenty. My experience with longer bars is they're hard to keep out of the dirt for what I cut.

Good. Didn't want you to think I was complaining about you.

Yes, Helwigs bought out Sarvers at the first of the year. Ben still is working there, as well as his wrench guy.

When I sent it in, I told him about the crank bearing issues you thought existed. Told them all that you had told me, in respect to the idle issue, and the carb being rebuilt, ect. Told Ben I wanted it to be right when it came out of the shop. His wrench guy checked it out, and said it needed a new carb. Took them three weeks to get the carb, and I went and got a B&C for it.

He did a final tune on the carb after installing the B&C and said it was good to go.

Tonight I decided I wanted to play with the new toy. Cutting logs from 6 inch diameter, up to 16-18 diameter. Small stuff was no issue. Getting half way through the bigger stuff, at tiems it would bog and not rev up unless I pulled out of the cut and started over in it.

Something doesnt sound right. I have an 044 with a 25"b/c and can cut 20" maple with no problems. Im thinking yours should run at least that good.:dizzy:

Last edited:
I can't really help diagnose the problem but if you are in fact at 76cc's you should be able to pull a 28" with no problems.
I'd play with the carb settings for a bit before I switched anything out. I have a TS510 concrete saw which is the same as a 051. It does the very same thing from time to time. (won't rev back up when bogged until I pull out a bit)
I just put it in the cut and play with the needles a bit and it gets right back to being a screamer. This by the way is easier done with two people. One guy running the saw and you trying to get a screwdriver on a vibrating screw the size of a big toothpick.

Last edited:
I can't really help diagnose the problem but if you are in fact at 76cc's you should be able to pull a 28" with no problems.
I'd play with the carb settings for a bit before I switched anything out. I have a TS510 concrete saw which is the same as a 051. It does the very same thing from time to time. (won't rev back up when bogged until I pull out a bit)
I just put it in the cut and play with the needles a bit and it gets right back to being a screamer. This by the way is easier done with two people. One guy running the saw and you trying to get a screwdriver on a vibrating screw the size of a big toothpick.

Thanks for the advice. I will try again this weekend.

Back