044 Broken Crank Tig Weld Repair (pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have another crank, but I thought I would attempt a Tig fix on this one before tossing it in the trash. I thought it came out pretty good for a first-try.

CrankRepair1.jpg

CrankRepair2.jpg

CrankRepair3.jpg

Im thinking start to finish 4 hrs if he stayed busy. If I was quoting it I wouldn't go less than 6, I am guessing this is your first time repairing a crank and not you first time tiging

It took about 10 minutes to fix the crank. I got lucky and the first weld pass was just about perfect.

The saw was a basket-case/parts saw.....serious abuse/neglect on the whole thing. I just happen to already have all the parts to bring it back to life or I wouldn't have bought the ugly thing.

Tony

Im thinking start to finish 4 hrs if he stayed busy. If I was quoting it I wouldn't go less than 6, I am guessing this is your first time repairing a crank and not you first time tiging

I Tig weld little gun parts, all day, every day......

I Tig weld little gun parts, all day, every day......

Wow, sounds intricate. Sounds also like my paw in law. Although he does not tig parts He
is a master-gunsmith. He subs out the welding stuff to a couple of great guys. I'd say if
he were close, he'd need to get you to do this stuff. I've been a fabricator for many years
and I'd say that repair is one of the slickest I've ever seen.

The tungsten electrode is 3/32" 2% Thoriated, Anchor brand. I don't recall the spec on the rod, but it is
oil quench hardening rod. I don't quench it though....it will make it too hard, brittle and will break easily. When allowed to naturally air cool, it ends up a perfect hardness/toughness for firearms fire control parts, ie, hammers, triggers, sears, etc. It will hold a sear edge for thousands of rounds without wearing or chipping.

Tony

The tungsten electrode is 3/32" 2% Thoriated, Anchor brand. I don't recall the spec on the rod, but it is
oil quench hardening rod. I don't quench it though....it will make it too hard, brittle and will break easily. When allowed to naturally air cool, it ends up a perfect hardness/toughness for firearms fire control parts, ie, hammers, triggers, sears, etc. It will hold a sear edge for thousands of rounds without wearing or chipping.

Tony

Thanks Tony:rock:,will pester my brother,hes got a tig at home:biggrin:

Back