044 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not much of a thread but I am looking to mod my 044 muffler it has the divider with the 3 big holes, does it go to pry that out or does one need to cut it out? Also, behind the divider is a metal box with smaller holes surrounding the inlet to the muffler. Is it best to cut that out completely or just enlarge the holes that I can get to with a drill? I plan on about doubling the area of the stock outlet and then adding another port on the opposite side with a 288 deflector.

gut the muffler. line up the gasket.but i would leave the stock opening. and re tune it , and try it out.make small changes to the stock opening.

Cut end off baffle. Open up under the deflector a bit.
After many broke mufflers on loggers saws I stopped removing the baffle,it adds needed strength.
Like Mason said,just cut the end off or drill a hole in it.
I think the exhaust needs to bounce off the front cover so I don't use dp covers if I can help it.

Open the factory outlet some and retune

So the baffle is the box surrounding the inlet? What about the divider with the three big holes? Can it be pried out or is it best to cut it out. I am just trying to avoid mutilating the muffler.

Just drill larger holes as many as you can on the baffle covering the outlet to the cylinder. Open up your existing port like you said and add another one on the opposite side. Don't open up the whole area of the new port/deflector if you don't have to. You can always keep removing material to open up the muffler outlets but if you remove too much then the saw may not idle as well.

My 660 is ported so the opening is lrger than I typically go but this is the second opening and deflector I added on the opposite side of the muffler. Drilled holes in the cage and opened up the factory outlet more. IMG_2451.JPG
Here is another of a 038 Super I did. It definitely helped it out by adding it and you'll really wake up your 044 by letting it breathe better. IMG_2646.JPG

My goal has always been to enlarge the whole muffler as much as possible. Usually 25 to 40%. There is always welding involved. The better the saw breaths the better and cooler it will run. So drilling the spot welds out then adding a little size to the baffle after enlarging the cage, You could run a whole tuned exhaust, but after cutting one or two logs you would realize that you have an unusable monster. Most people just drill the holes a little and put it back together. For me it is not realistic to completely redesign the whole saw. After enlarging the hole it will become more noisy. Thanks

This is what I am wondering about when I say divider with three big holes.. I think it is a european thing maybe. I don't see any welds but I also tried to pry on it pretty hard and don't want to try more and possibly damage the muffler unless someone has been able to do it before. (Photo courtesy of google since my camera is MIA.)
25oz2jm25jg5.jpg

After modding more than 25 of the 044/440 mufflers I found they run best with two 3/4" holes for the exits, one left and right. A hole in the front cover makes too much noise, the DP covers also are way too noisy so that drove me to find the alternative and its rather easy to do. The existing deflector easily allows for a 3/4" hole that side, the 288 deflector for the left side works well if you cannot make your own.

After modding more than 25 of the 044/440 mufflers I found they run best with two 3/4" holes for the exits, one left and right. A hole in the front cover makes too much noise, the DP covers also are way too noisy so that drove me to find the alternative and its rather easy to do. The existing deflector easily allows for a 3/4" hole that side, the 288 deflector for the left side works well if you cannot make your own.
With two 3/4" outlets that is equal to a 0.882 square inch outlet is it necessary to wear hearing protection ?

I think hearing protection should always be advised but once you start opening the mufflers up they do get louder the more you open them.

With two 3/4" outlets that is equal to a 0.882 square inch outlet is it necessary to wear hearing protection ?

We're talking about chainsaws here, so yes, ear protection is necessary. In my opinion, anyway.

If you've ever spent much time with someone who has significant hearing loss, you'll know how important it is to protect your hearing.

Even in stock form one should wear hearing protection but the more a muffler is opened up the louder they get. With the outlets on the sides the exiting charge from the cylinder gets turned and that takes some of the high pitched crack out of the exhaust note. When the outlets are in the front cover of a hollow muffler that exhaust note is almost as loud as having no muffler at all. I tried every combination and size of holes on these 044/440 saws and settled on the side exits. All 7 of my saws of this series are heavily ported and I find no gains at all with holes bigger that the two 3/4" ones I run now. I went to two 7/8" holes for a muffler I did up for someone that needed stock sized screens due to fire hazard restrictions, with clean new screens the saws timed the same as the 3/4" ones with no screens.

Latest posts

Back