064 --> 066 Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The deed is done. I got my 066 P&C yesterday. Tonight I pulled the original 85cc 064 P&C off of my 064 and got to work. The job went without incident and is running, port job and all.

I began by drilling and tapping the case for 6mm cylinder bolts. The 066 uses 6mm and the 064 uses 5mm bolts. This probably is not necessary, but I figured why not for the $4 the bolts probably cost me. I drilled the holes with a hand held drill. Keeping the drill straight is not an issue at all since you're only slightly enlarging them.
456047050_PsbkZ-M.jpg

I then tapped them with a 6x1.0 tap. The two holes on the right side are blind holes. So I used another 6x1.0 tap that the tip is ground off of, basically a home-made bottom tap.
456047026_LhqPL-M.jpg
456047443_JrCkf-M.jpg

I then made sure that the surface was smooth and flat. This chisel is smooth and sharp and used as a gasket scraper.
456047288_jErFn-M.jpg

Four new 6mm cylinder bolts. Make sure they go in far enough before continuing.
456047309_HhTUp-M.jpg

This is a 066 cylinder gasket. Left to right the spacing is identical.
456047624_ExHkL-M.jpg

Front to back they are off a little.
456047798_SUzWy-M.jpg

I slotted the gasket to fit the case and laid it on the 066 cylinder to get an idea how much I needed to slot the hole. They only need a little.
456047951_cZ8FV-M.jpg

Here's the trial fit for the piston. It clears but not by much. I think you might have issues with a BB kit. It depends on how much they shortened the skirts.
456047924_bKwEQ-M.jpg
456048111_bd37o-M.jpg

Here's the trial fit of the cylinder. The bolts lined up just fine. While I was at it, I measure the squish without a gasket and marked the exhaust port on the piston at TDC since I was going to port the cylinder before assembly. Don't worry about the carbon. It was cleaned off and later ported.
456048243_egqc8-M.jpg

Here's the exhaust port before porting.
456048237_zT2t6-M.jpg

And here it is after porting. Sorry about the blurry pic.
456048289_iZZ4C-M.jpg

I ended up using the 066 gasket with the holes slotted. Final squish is right at .020". The saw started right up. It idles and revs good. I'll make some test cuts with it tomorrow. The P&C got my typical port job with widened intake and exhaust, widened rear transfers, and opened up piston windows. The muffler was already modded. All I had to do there was port match the gasket and muffler back.

Last edited:
nice work brad...i appreciate you guys that take time to take pics of your work and post it on here..

YOU ARE GONNA THROW A ROD!!! YOU ARE GONNA THROW A ROD!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Just kidding Brad. Pictures are awesome, cant wait to see what your opinion of it is in use. Remember, I got dibbs on that 064 P/C if you dont keep it!

how much did you take off of the exhaust and intake on this one?

I did not raise the exhaust. I've yet to put a degree wheel on it but plan to tomorrow. The piston and rings are brand new. I was disappointed to only see 150 PSI compression after the first warmup. I'd like to see 160 on a new piston and rings. I'll have to wait and see what it is after some time in the wood.

YOU ARE GONNA THROW A ROD!!! YOU ARE GONNA THROW A ROD!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Just kidding Brad. Pictures are awesome, cant wait to see what your opinion of it is in use. Remember, I got dibbs on that 064 P/C if you dont keep it!

I doubt it. Same exact crank as a early 066. Oh, I forgot to mention. I installed the -1201 flywheel with the unlimited coil and it starts and runs just fine. Thanks for the info JJ. The 066/064 ignition manual doesn't show that combination, but sure does work.

looking good. Was that OEM or bailey's?

The cylinder is OEM 1st generation 066 with no decomp.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Brad. I am sizing up my Baileys order right now. I will pull the trigger in the next few days. I will have a huge thread for it including splitting the case and installing new bearings and seals. I have a lot of irons in the fire right now (925xl, 031, 056, 088 and 066):dizzy: , so it might be a week or two before I begin. I am slow as molasses when it comes to comparing with you:clap:

Last edited:
They did beef up that crank for good seasons... don't push it.

Wait... I'm just wasting air saying that in a Brad thread:greenchainsaw:

I did not raise the exhaust. I've yet to put a degree wheel on it but plan to tomorrow. The piston and rings are brand new. I was disappointed to only see 150 PSI compression after the first warmup. I'd like to see 160 on a new piston and rings. I'll have to wait and see what it is after some time in the wood.

shouldnt the compression go up about 20 psi after the rings seat?

They did beef up that crank for good seasons... don't push it.

Wait... I'm just wasting air saying that in a Brad thread:greenchainsaw:

Well, at least I didn't go with a ported 066BB:)

shouldnt the compression go up about 20 psi after the rings seat?
That would tickle me to death, but I don't typically see that much.

There's a good chance the 066BB unported will outcut my ported OEM cylinder. That's the way it was between my ported OEM 066RL and my current 066BB. That's another reason I wanted to go OEM since I knew you was going BB. It'll be interesting to see how they compare.

There's a good chance the 066BB unported will outcut my ported OEM cylinder. That's the way it was between my ported OEM 066RL and my current 066BB. That's another reason I wanted to go OEM since I knew you was going BB. It'll be interesting to see how they compare.

I was thinking about cleaning/polishing up the exhaust port and give the piston a little work. I won't decide till the kit gets here though.

Don't forget you'll be notching the case...

Every one I've done with the new generation BB kits I've had to notch the case.

Ya, I figured I will mock the bb kit up before I split it. The only thing that has me nervous is that the bearing is hogged out and I don't know how accurate it will be since it is not tight. I will be picking your brain more if you don't mind.:help: :bowdown:

Back