090 g case split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burl24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an 090 g that is siezed and I'm trying to split the case. I already punched out both dowel pins. Any suggestions appreciated.

The 090 crank is mounted on needle bearings, the crank usually slides off these easily but if the needles themselves are rusted tight to the crank then maybe they need to be soaked for several days with penetrating fluids, many of those on the market. I prefer to use a 50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid( ATF). That would soften the grip the needles have on the crank and bearing races.

The 090 crank is mounted on needle bearings, the crank usually slides off these easily but if the needles themselves are rusted tight to the crank then maybe they need to be soaked for several days with penetrating fluids, many of those on the market. I prefer to use a 50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid( ATF). That would soften the grip the needles have on the crank and bearing races.
I hit it a few more times with an aluminum 2x3" and it came apart!

Jerry are the 090 cranks larger or the same as the 076? For future reference op, you can just about split the case with a husky tool up to 076, but if you wanted to go wider, you’d need to try and spread the jaws some.
The only saw I couldn’t split was an 020, it didn’t fit inside. So there is the span of saws it works on above 020 and up to 076 super

Jerry are the 090 cranks larger or the same as the 076? For future reference op, you can just about split the case with a husky tool up to 076, but if you wanted to go wider, you’d need to try and spread the jaws some.
The only saw I couldn’t split was an 020, it didn’t fit inside. So there is the span of saws it works on above 020 and up to 076 super
The 090 and 076 are totally different saws, the chassis on an 090 is much wider and they use totally different bearings to support the crank. The 090 and 070 are the same chassis.

Are the needle bearings ok? The case gasket doesn`t usually stick the case halves together so bad they are difficult for separation.
The needle bearings are ok. Its just a bit corroded inside.. once it loosened up it slid right out. Where is the best most cost effective(but still quality) place to buy bearings and seals? i see them on ebay or should i just go to my stihlership?

Stealership. I don’t try to buy anything aftermarket that is rubber, electrical, bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back