$1500 Splitter Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanvan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a residential/homeowner user looking for a solid splitter. I split about 4-6 cords a year for myself and family. I really want to keep the purchase to about a $1500 budget. Would anyone recommend something other than a Huskee or NorthStar 20-27 ton splitter at TSC or Northern Tool? I like those splitters, but the cycle time seems a bit slow. Anything other than those someone might recommend around the $1500 price point or below? I have been reading the posts on here about Huskee vs Northstar, etc and the information has been great but I was wondering if there was an option besides these that I should be evaluating. Thanks for any insight.

Check out Brave splitters. The are made by the same company as Iron & Oak.
I bought mine used a couple of years ago and am very pleased with it. Mine is a 34 ton that I think I paid around $900 for.

Last edited:
I have the TSC 22-ton at 13 second cycle time it's not bad. I'd save yourself $500 and get one of them.

Price is obviously Dealer dependent,

I've seen new base / entry level American and Wallenstein splitters locally in the $1500 range.

Take Care

Check out Brave splitters. The are made by the same company as Iron & Oak.
I bought mine used a couple of years ago and am very pleased with it. Mine is a 34 ton that I think I paid around $900 for.

I like the Brave splitters too. I have a Huskee 22 ton but prefer my buddies Brave. But a Brave is going to put you a couple/few hundred bucks over budget. I was not concerned with cycle time since I don't split much more than you. If I was splitting for production then I would be more concerned about that.

Last edited:
Check out the Oregon brand splitters. I believe the price for the 22 ton would be in your budget. Don't remember what the cycle time was for sure but remember being impressed with it.

If I were splitting 4-6 cords a year I don't think I'd be terribly worried about cycle time. But then, I like to run the splitter, especially if the Mrs is helping. Just sayin'.

Mine is a homemade 35 ton, cycle time is around 11 seconds. If I back the truck up so the tailgate is right behind me, I have to hustle to grab the next piece and get it on the splitter before the cylinder is fully retracted. I don't think 13 seconds is going to be much different.

Ted

Hey seanvan,

I have a NT 30 splitter and really like the splitter. I have split up to 50" logs in the vertical position and no troubles with any other size log. The splitter is taller than other and it keeps you from bending over as much and it has a Honda engine which will last 4-5 hrs on a tank. Also many of the splitters are on Sale until 11/03/12. Good luck with your choice.

Cycle Time etc.

I share a 37 ton Northern splitter with my father. We like it a lot but buy what ever you are comfortable with. I agree with others that the cycle time may not be as big a deal as you think. I have to really hustle to keep the splitter busy. I think ours is supposed to have a 13 second cycle time but am not sure.
One thing I would really encourage you to get is one that will go to idle when the ram is all the way retracted. After having one that does not and now one that does I won't have one without idle control. Good Luck.

I went with a 35T with a 5" ram from TSC. It was on sale. If you are doing big stuff or logs with crotches etc go with the 5" ram. The smaller ones really bog down when pushed. I've used 4" and 4 1/2" rams and work great on smaller stuff that is easy to split.

I'll say my little 22 T Huskee cycles as fast as I want it to. If it worked me any harder I'd pass out. When I split a round and by the time the cylinder retracts back past the length of the round, I have it on top of the wedge so by the time the wood drops onto the beam I'm ready to split it again. I catch it before it's in total retraction and go again. My splitter never goes to full retraction. Any faster and I couldn't keep up. :msp_smile:

Another vote for the TSC log-splitter. Mine was around $1000 back in 2000. I've never had an issue with it, just change the oil, plug, and filter and keep on splitting. I do 4-6 cords per season.

As far as cycle-time, I run the engine on mine just above idle (maybe 1/4 throttle) and it cycles fast enough for me. If I run into a knarly piece of wood I just bump the throttle up a bit.

FWIW at 1/4 throttle I can split for 1.5hrs before refueling, which isn't quite 1/2 gallon.

First thing I did when I got the splitter was to weld a crandle on either side of the splitter to catch logs as they split, so I don't have to bend over any more than I have to :msp_biggrin:

Another vote for the 22 ton Huskee. I used a friends for a couple of years then bought one a couple of months ago $899. Fast enough and I have yet to stop it. The only gripe is the small fuel tank.

I bought a 22 ton unit from TSC, and I love it. I bought it with the service plan for $1,150 out the door. Right now they will discount anything from the summer season. Just because it's not on the floordoesn't mean they don't have them in the back. I split 10 cords this summer and it didn't miss a beat. :rock:

Latest posts

Back