1973-1979 F350 dually

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody use one of these for their wood hauling duties? I have a lead on one of these that is 2wd and has a flat deck. I gave the year range because the owner thinks it's a 1974, and 1973 to 1979 are the years of that production.

Kevin

i used a '78 F-350 flat bed for 2 years. had the 351 motor, ran great.

it was a great truck. got it from my dads shop, so it was beefed up to haul steel. it would carry a whole lot of weight, and pulled just about anything i put behind it with ease.

great great truck. only reason i sold mine was to get something with a bigger deck.

i used a '78 F-350 flat bed for 2 years. had the 351 motor, ran great.

it was a great truck. got it from my dads shop, so it was beefed up to haul steel. it would carry a whole lot of weight, and pulled just about anything i put behind it with ease.

great great truck. only reason i sold mine was to get something with a bigger deck.

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin

Mine is an F350, 5spd, 351, 2wd, dually, flat bed that dumps too, its an addable feature and sure makes life easy.

Mine is an F350, 5spd, 351, 2wd, dually, flat bed that dumps too, its an addable feature and sure makes life easy.

Allright. Which year model is yours? Since it is a 1 ton, I'm guessing 4:10 gears? What kind of a top speed do you get?

Also if you have pics, could you post them? Thanks.

Kevin

Last edited:
If it's a 74 it is going to be a little different than the 78-79 models. It more than likely will have a 360 or 390 FE style motor. Good motor but it will suck gas horribly, Not that a 351M-400 won't but they are getting rare compared to the 351M-400M motors. Unless someone has swapped one out.

Also the frames are a bit different than the later ones. They have a stack of springs for sure but they a re narrower than the later ones. I used to have some High boys and they were tanks. I think you would be happy with that truck as a firewood truck. Look over the frame for rust trough and take a good look at the spring packs for broken springs.

Also another thing to look for is drum brakes on the steering axle, not so diserable. The bodies are pretty much the same except some trim and front grilles. You can tell the year of the truck by the front grille easily if you pay attention and know what they are.

The rear axle will probably be a Dana 60, maybe 70. Great axles been around for ever, 4:10's are very likely, you should be able to look at teh diff. cover and if they still have the tag bolted on it will have the gear ratio's marked on it. Post some pics if you buy it!!

Those era Ford trucks were built like tanks! Only bad part was how badly they rusted, both Ford and GM used a lot of less than ideal recycled steel at that time, possibly war junk.

If it's a 74 it is going to be a little different than the 78-79 models. It more than likely will have a 360 or 390 FE style motor. Good motor but it will suck gas horribly, Not that a 351M-400 won't but they are getting rare compared to the 351M-400M motors. Unless someone has swapped one out.

Also the frames are a bit different than the later ones. They have a stack of springs for sure but they a re narrower than the later ones. I used to have some High boys and they were tanks. I think you would be happy with that truck as a firewood truck. Look over the frame for rust trough and take a good look at the spring packs for broken springs.

Also another thing to look for is drum brakes on the steering axle, not so diserable. The bodies are pretty much the same except some trim and front grilles. You can tell the year of the truck by the front grille easily if you pay attention and know what they are.

The rear axle will probably be a Dana 60, maybe 70. Great axles been around for ever, 4:10's are very likely, you should be able to look at teh diff. cover and if they still have the tag bolted on it will have the gear ratio's marked on it. Post some pics if you buy it!!

I found out it's a 1970 model. I'll post what I saw in a new thread (after a quick look Saturday evening). No pics yet. It's at a friends place so I'll be able to get pics later.

Kevin

I found out it's a 1970 model. I'll post what I saw in a new thread (after a quick look Saturday evening). No pics yet. It's at a friends place so I'll be able to get pics later.

Kevin

'70 is a totally different body style than the '74-'79's. Still a tank though. Great truck to haul firewood and do any other yard work around the house.

Latest posts

Back