1999 Cord KIng Model 60

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What wedge do you have in the machine now?? As you add flutes to the wedge, the amount of ram force you will need to split logs will increase dramatically. I think the older cord kings were about 50 tons. With a fixed box 12 way wedge, the number of slivers (waste) you get out of each split goes up. Further, your logs will need to be fairly straight and have few knots. Crooked wood with a lot of knots or crotches will either get smashed into mulch or jam up the wedge. You might be better off just getting a super split and re-splitting anything that needs it rather than upgrading the wedge. If you do decide to upgrade, contact a competent welding shop and modify your existing wedge. It will probably cost a lot less that finding or building a new one. Good luck.

Even a ten way must make wood the size of a baseball bat - I saw a processor working at the expo in Bangor last May, can't remember the brand, the wood was coming out like kindling. Do people really want wood that small?

Even a ten way must make wood the size of a baseball bat - I saw a processor working at the expo in Bangor last May, can't remember the brand, the wood was coming out like kindling. Do people really want wood that small?

Sometimes.

The cord king was built to split large diameter logs. I think the splitting chamber can handle wood up to 24” in diameter. In large diameter wood, even with a 10 way wedge, many of the pieces would be too large for most firewood customers.

Back