2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s just something cool about growing super hot peppers.
EF55A386-9B7C-49EA-92FD-E454CFA79437.jpeg

My brother-in-law is a chili head and likes all the super hots. He was over on the 31st for my sons birthday party and he had a plant in his truck. I asked him about it and he said it was a yellow reaper that he had for a couple years and was going to give it to a friend. I asked him why and he said he can’t eat them (exploitive)yellow reapers. I personally don’t eat anything hotter than a Serrano. Here is a couple pictures from his harvest last year. He asks me every time if I want any but I always say no thank you.
4D297E4B-FB90-47F9-A8BC-103D6DE3C89F.jpeg
3C7BAC51-EC5F-45C2-9F81-35B69E6ABDC9.jpeg

Last year was my first time growing Tabasco’s and they were plenty hot for me. This year I am going to grow a variety of native peppers from Mexico. Zapotec jalapeños, pico de pajara, sinahuisa, and Tarahumara peppers. I also got a type from baker creek called Kalugerista going. Gonna be a good variety of peppers this year.
6F057D65-F540-4FCF-BFC1-65EAA2D5F4A1.jpeg

Last year was my first time growing Tabasco’s and they were plenty hot for me. This year I am going to grow a variety of native peppers from Mexico. Zapotec jalapeños, pico de pajara, sinahuisa, and Tarahumara peppers. I also got a type from baker creek called Kalugerista going. Gonna be a good variety of peppers this year.View attachment 888365
Right on I’ll have to look those up.

My brother-in-law is a chili head and likes all the super hots. He was over on the 31st for my sons birthday party and he had a plant in his truck. I asked him about it and he said it was a yellow reaper that he had for a couple years and was going to give it to a friend. I asked him why and he said he can’t eat them (exploitive)yellow reapers. I personally don’t eat anything hotter than a Serrano. Here is a couple pictures from his harvest last year. He asks me every time if I want any but I always say no thank you.View attachment 888354View attachment 888355
what does he do with them all? just eat? or use to can? cook?

have grown cayenne peppers down here before. the bush almost becomes a small tree. always reminds me of christmas tree... red bulbs. and they are hot!

1612881905662.png

1612882803210.png

There’s just something cool about growing super hot peppers. View attachment 888344
yikes! i can feel the heat all the way down here... that's an impressive plate of hot peppers. wouldn't want to eat one by mistake!

i have grown some habaneros. more orange than red. finally, one day i cut out a piece... maybe 3/16 square... if i grew them, thot it best i try them...

:mad:

lol, it would have been ok by me if i had not! lol ;)

Doubt I could eat one of those reapers , a Jalapeno is my limit and only can eat them in small slices but that does mean that other people cannot enjoy them, we are all different for sure so again if you are eating something and you enjoy it and it gives you no problems I say have at it Signs of problems associated with spicy foods can be irritable bowel, nausea, acid reflux ,stomach pains so if one starts to experiences symptoms along those lines best adjust your diet some how and a good starting point would be spicy foods .......if your taking anti acid tablets quite often that's another sign to cut back on the spicy stuff or possibly quit altogether Drinking a lot of alcohol has similar effects but if you are not experiencing health issues from either have a cold beer & a hot pepper and enjoy your life
i never seen Casey on Man vs Food take on one of those super hot challenges... eat it all and enjoy it! always total misery....
1612882715074.png

don't think i would care for a bowl of devi's soup... even if it has a hint of chili.
1612882760505.png

1612882870824.png

Doubt I could eat one of those reapers , a Jalapeno is my limit and only can eat them in small slices but that does mean that other people cannot enjoy them, we are all different for sure so again if you are eating something and you enjoy it and it gives you no problems I say have at it
a jalapeno is about my limit, too! some red pepper bit or cayenne for cooking but vary sparingly for me. i like jalapenos cooked as in poppers. cooking tames them somewhat. i have grown them before. small and hot! prefer med size like at store. i took one of them apart yesterday afternoon. i needed some. for a batch of guacamole i plan to make... avocados, jalapeno bits, cilantro, garlic, onioin, cilantro and lime juice. cooked the rest... imo, addictive!
P7200038.JPG

last night on the grill -

No way would I eat a whole reaper. Just a sliver of one will make a grown man cry. Great for hot sauce and salsa though that’s where they really shine with cinnamon and chocolate undertones. Just gotta be careful how much you use :laugh:
i'd much more prefer cherries from Walla Walla! ~ :yes:

revised: Wawawai.....

Yes jalapenos are about my limit too. I can eat about a 1/2 jar of jalapeno stuffed olives at a sitting. Years ago when the habaneros first came out I grew some. One day I was in the patch and took an ever so small nip off the end of one. That was my last bite of one.
I know just what you mean, FS!.... i think i have some Ghost Pepper seeds in cold storage. they can stay there! lol :yes:

Around 15 years ago I took a bunch of habaneros to the guys on the construction site and left sitting out for everyone , the younger guys were the only ones trying them and challenging one another to eat one whole , everyone got a big laugh at it .......so this Mexican guy came over and asked if he could buy them from me I said just help yourself ,he started eating those things like candy till all gone and now everyone is really laughing and he said " Oh those aren't that hot "Yes people who grow up eating that kind of stuff actually eat them like it's nothing , there are people that could most likely chomp down on one of those infamous reapers you guys talk about and not have it bother them whereas it would just flatten most people out just biting into one
down here if you go into a grocery store that caters more so to a Caucasion, etc patronage... they have peppers, but mostly sweet. go to some of the neighborhood Tex-Mex groceries that cater to the Tex-Mex, Mex crowd... and they got bin after bins of peppers. u can walk down the aisle past them and smell them. really! and most of them are h o t ! varieties. as in very hot...

serranos....
1612886466982.png

i'd much more prefer cherries from Walla Walla! ~ :yes:
Walla Walla is best known for its sweet onions. Cherries are grown damn near everywhere in this state. Rainiers are my favorite. When harvest comes around people I know who pick are literally giving bags away.

down here if you go into a grocery store that caters more so to a Caucasion, etc patronage... they have peppers, but mostly sweet. go to some of the neighborhood Tex-Mex groceries that cater to the Tex-Mex, Mex crowd... and they got bin after bins of peppers. u can walk down the aisle past them and smell them. really! and most of them are h o t ! varieties. as in very hot...

serranos....
View attachment 888459
Same here. I love hitting the Carniceria, Taqueria, and Panaderia etc. that’s where the good authentic Mexican foods are.

Walla Walla is best known for its sweet onions. Cherries are grown damn near everywhere in this state. Rainiers are my favorite. When harvest comes around people I know who pick are literally giving bags away.
oic, i did not know that. will look it up now that u mention it. sounds interesting. but u made me look up the cherries... used to go pick them as kid. not Walla Walla but down by Wawawai, Wa... down on the Snake River where the cherry orchards used to be. actually, i knew it was Wawawai... even said it to myself as i made post... just used WW though... lol. as i remember there was only one dusty dirt winding long road we took to get down to the orchards. may be the same in the historical pix below. we would climb the cherry trees and pick. ate all we could, picked the rest. special times! :)

https://www.historylink.org/File/7968
>Cherries are grown damn near everywhere in this state.

well, i don't know about that! don't remember too many cherry orchards in Columbia Basin area, but do remember some midnite raids on neighborhood cherry trees when living in Seattle... lol

and even though i never saw many cherry orchards in M Lake area, etc or the many lakes in CB... i see they are very big there, too. live and learn...

The major sweet cherry production regions are east of the Cascade Mountains in the central area of the state. The three primary sweet cherry production regions are the Yakima Valley, with 12,000 acres; the North Central (Wenatchee) district, with 9,500 acres; and the Columbia Basin, with about 4,500 acres of cherries.

Yeah never been a real hot eater myself
KImchi , Kale chicken breast ( never breaded ) tomatillo mashed potato simple summer lunch with all foods grown right here except the Korean Kimchi
Now and then I'll put a pickled jalapeno or 2 in a dish like this

Attachments

• Chicken kale tomatillo lunch.JPG
    Chicken kale tomatillo lunch.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Don't know if any you guys eat Kimchi but it is a very healthy food source , it is probiotic which means it promote healthy guy bacteria and has plenty of fiber

It is a spicy food and for the hearty here you could probably add some of your hot peppers into the mix to make it even more lively , you can get at Walmart

I try to eat some everyday as part of my health regime , could eat a whole jar at one sitting but I don't and make it last a few days

Latest posts

Back