2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomato seeds arrived. Hard to find the TamiG seeds lately. Best snacking/ salad tomato out there in my opinion

View attachment 887974

Numex Chiles. Planted 15 seeds but I may do more tonight. These and the reapers are my main focus. Numex is similar to an Anaheim but with much more flavor and nutty undertones. I like to roast them for use in soups, sauces, salsa, and chili but my favorite is stuff them with roast chicken and cream cheese then bake in the oven covered in cheese. BOMB!

View attachment 887975View attachment 887976

spent most of my morning getting rid of junk and removing shelves so I could tuck the grow tent in. The saw is a 1-70

View attachment 887977
mite have a bit of a bite...

5,000 to 7,000

How hot are Sandia peppers? The Sandia hybrid packs a surprising punch considering its New Mexico chili pepper roots. Its Scoville heat range of 5,000 to 7,000 Scoville heat units (SHU) puts it on par with the hottest possible jalapeño peppers.

That is how long it's been since I've used a Jiffy.
Now they have gone metric!

I save some seeds from the vegetables we grow but I also work at saving seed that I buy for long terms. From our Jimmy Nardello peppers I must have saved 1,000 seeds this year. Seed saving comes with time. Seeds like Crimnson Sweet watermelon is easy to save too.
we save seeds, too. i bet i have more than 1,000 english pea seeds! lots of limas and okra, too. some purple hull... and green beans... keep them in cold storage.
1612702413195.png

mite have a bit of a bite...

5,000 to 7,000

How hot are Sandia peppers? The Sandia hybrid packs a surprising punch considering its New Mexico chili pepper roots. Its Scoville heat range of 5,000 to 7,000 Scoville heat units (SHU) puts it on par with the hottest possible jalapeño peppers.
What can I say, I like my food to be spicy lol. And my drinks too. Bloody Mary with a dash of cayenne , or an ice cold Modelo beer in a frosted glass with Clamato, Tabasco and black pepper really hits the spot on a hot summer day.

Tomato seeds arrived. Hard to find the TamiG seeds lately. Best snacking/ salad tomato out there in my opinion

View attachment 887974

Numex Chiles. Planted 15 seeds but I may do more tonight. These and the reapers are my main focus. Numex is similar to an Anaheim but with much more flavor and nutty undertones. I like to roast them for use in soups, sauces, salsa, and chili but my favorite is stuff them with roast chicken and cream cheese then bake in the oven covered in cheese. BOMB!

View attachment 887975View attachment 887976

spent most of my morning getting rid of junk and removing shelves so I could tuck the grow tent in. The saw is a 1-70

View attachment 887977
Tami-G is one of my favorite grapes. Sweet Canary is my favorite yellow grape. This is one of the places I buy seed from.
https://www.seedway.com/app/uploads/2020/10/SEEDWAY-2021-Commercial-US-Catalog_Oct2020-Web.pdf

Big Beef variety. they came in all shapes, forms and sizes for some reason this fall season. a nice tasting, full, heavy tomato. really like them. used to plant Better Boys, but now mostly just Big Beef. we did get some that lived up to their reputation...
P7190009.JPG

plenty pros and cons on the subject... do's and don't.
Well of course there are pros an cons on any subject

First off if eating something irritates you don't eat it just that simple , spicy foods have lot of acid an can cause issues in people who have stomach ulcers

Do peppers cause ulcers, no they do not but probably best avoided in people who do have them along with people who suffer from acid reflux

Spicy food increases the metabolism which may benefit certain people trying to control or maintain weight issues

Your body will let you know if peppers and other spicy foods ( including Cinnamon ) agree with you or not so it is really simple ......if you enjoy it and have no ill effects from it keep on but if you start get signals from your body that something is wrong just stop

If a pepper is to hot in your mouth why force yourself to eat it , you body is telling you something right there so best to be wise an listen at that point

Doubt I could eat one of those reapers , a Jalapeno is my limit and only can eat them in small slices but that does mean that other people cannot enjoy them, we are all different for sure so again if you are eating something and you enjoy it and it gives you no problems I say have at it

Signs of problems associated with spicy foods can be irritable bowel, nausea, acid reflux ,stomach pains so if one starts to experiences symptoms along those lines best adjust your diet some how and a good starting point would be spicy foods .......if your taking anti acid tablets quite often that's another sign to cut back on the spicy stuff or possibly quit altogether

Drinking a lot of alcohol has similar effects but if you are not experiencing health issues from either have a cold beer & a hot pepper and enjoy your life

Sorry i only touched on the negative side peppers but what was mentioned was important

Now on the positive side of things hot peppers are full of nutrients and vitamins and have fiber , which is a must in a healthy diet

Diabetics can also eat peppers, peppers have anti inflammatory properties along with cancer fighting properties so they serve a good purpose in diet

In my opinion they are a little high in sodium but how many are you really going to eat in one sitting anyways

It has warmed up to 3 degree outside so no more playing around in the house this morning and out to work splitting rounds with a maul , actually nice weather to be doing that sort of thing as the wood pops easy and as long as your busy the cold is not so much of an issue........yes I have a splitter but find myself using it less and less anymore

Yes jalapenos are about my limit too. I can eat about a 1/2 jar of jalapeno stuffed olives at a sitting. Years ago when the habaneros first came out I grew some. One day I was in the patch and took an ever so small nip off the end of one. That was my last bite of one.

Serrano is about as far as I will go with eating a whole pepper and even then it needs to be roasted a bit. The good Mexican joints will put a few roast jalapeño or Serrano on the side of the big platters. Pickled jalapeños? no problem. Every taco truck gives you a bag of them with your order it’s like a staple food around here.

A few years ago I grew some Diablo Cayenne. Best tasting pepper I have ever ate. I dried a bunch and then ground them to put in shakers. I still have some of the ground left. I saved some seed and will be growing a few plants this year. I dont know the heat index of the diablo cayenne, a little hotter than jalapenos, but no where near as hot as the reapers. I prefer something with flavor than something that just sets my mouth on fire. The diablo is sweet and hot at the same time.

Yes they have to be pickled ,roasted to be enjoyable to me no questioning that

Around 15 years ago I took a bunch of habaneros to the guys on the construction site and left sitting out for everyone , the younger guys were the only ones trying them and challenging one another to eat one whole , everyone got a big laugh at it .......so this Mexican guy came over and asked if he could buy them from me I said just help yourself ,he started eating those things like candy till all gone and now everyone is really laughing and he said " Oh those aren't that hot "

Yes people who grow up eating that kind of stuff actually eat them like it's nothing , there are people that could most likely chomp down on one of those infamous reapers you guys talk about and not have it bother them whereas it would just flatten most people out just biting into one

Latest posts

Back