3 Best saws to own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac B.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 2 026 Pros a MS361 and a new to me 044 that I don't know much about yet. One of the 026's has a small bow bar on it and the other one has a 18" bar on it. My 361 has a 20" bar on it and I want to put a 28-32" bar on the 044. My question is do I really need 2 026's ??? I love my 361 and would not even think of getting rid of it. I have been cutting bigger wood lately that was actually to big for my 20" bar. The guy that I got the 044 from has a 066 with a 30 some inch bar in almost mint condition that caught my eye. He wants $500 for it. I thought I could clean the 044 up and sell it and one of my 026s and have enough to get the 066. Do you think a 026, 361 and 066 would be a better combo than what I already have????

Thanks Mac

my daily 3 saw plan is a 460 for falling timber,460 for bucking logs,440 to cut limbs missed on timber and to cut the occasional hung up saw out. not that it ever happens to me:monkey:

That would be a good combo, but better, I dont know .... if you are going to cut really big logs the 066 would come in handy.

I would get rid of the other 026, bow saw, just my .02cent

I dont presently have a 044, So IMO its really going to depend on which saws you use more and how often you need the bigger saw.
Youve got a some good looking saws.

I would get rid of one of the 026's and the 361 and pick up the 066.

If you have a 50cc saw and a 70cc saw you should have no need for a 60cc saw.

That 026 may be hard to peddle with the bow attachment on it. To make your life easier, I will trade you a straight bar and chain for it. :biggrinbounce2:

man get rid of the o26's and get a ms180 or 170 just limb with them, they vibrate pretty bad and are SLOW but are really light, just think how you'll feel every time going from a ms170 up to the 361. or sell both of them and get a 346xp

If you are like the rest of us on here, no one, two, or even 3 saws will be sufficient. You have to eventually end-up with a barn full of them, and that is never enough.:cheers:

I have 2 026 Pros a MS361 and a new to me 044 that I don't know much about yet. One of the 026's has a small bow bar on it and the other one has a 18" bar on it. My 361 has a 20" bar on it and I want to put a 28-32" bar on the 044. My question is do I really need 2 026's ??? I love my 361 and would not even think of getting rid of it. I have been cutting bigger wood lately that was actually to big for my 20" bar. The guy that I got the 044 from has a 066 with a 30 some inch bar in almost mint condition that caught my eye. He wants $500 for it. I thought I could clean the 044 up and sell it and one of my 026s and have enough to get the 066. Do you think a 026, 361 and 066 would be a better combo than what I already have????

Thanks Mac

No one needs more than one 026 at a time. But when you're limbing, trimming or brushing (or cutting small/medium firewood), and the 026 conks out (OK, nearly unheard of), you have a backup 50cc saw.

If that's not reason enough to keep both 026s, you need to find a new forum! :D :D :D

But in answer to your question, an 026/361/066 3-saw plan is the total ####!!! Go for it! Or you can go with a 4-saw plan and a 50, 60, 70-80 and 90cc lineup. If that's enough. If not, enter the golden 100cc zone. :D :D

Last edited:
for me, its always two saws in the woods. Always a 200T. ALWAYS..

Then, either a 60 or 70cc saw. Depends on the wood. So, I could live happily ever after with two.

Thanks for the input guys. I am definetly keeping the 026 with the bow on it. It has been squished, ported and muffler modded. I am wondering if the 066 is as good as the newer 660 and if it enough difference over the 044. The 026 with the straight bar on it sits alot is the reason I am asking about this. Here is a differnt angle of my saws.

Thanks Mac

my 2 saws are a 200t (used to be 192t) and an 044. Im not looking to get a 3rd saw at the moment, but if I did I would sell the 044 and get a 361 and a 660, making it 200t, 361, 660.

I do a lot of in tree work, so I need a T saw. the 044 ends up being my do every thing saw. It's a sweet saw no doubt, and the only one for the job.... but its far from perfect. I use it up in the tree with an 18" bar to chunk down trunks, and with the same bar for firewood and limbing as well as bucking smaller trees. It's a little heavy up in the tree honestly, especially if you're using it all day. It's much nicer on the ground, though still a little heavy as a limbing saw. It's a great bucking saw, even up to maybe 2'~3'. A 361 would be a much nicer in tree saw and limbing saw. It wouldnt do as well bucking.

The other 2 bars I have are a 24" and a 36". I run the 36" with skip, and it goes well but You do miss the extra power. I've used it on stuff up to about 5'~6' and at that size you're really taxing that saw. A 660 would be a great saw for bucking an felling bigger stuff.

My 3 saw plan would be 200t 14" bar. 361 with 18" bar full compliment and 28" bar semi skip. 660 with 28" bar full compliment and 36" semi skip. Maybe a 48" with full skip too ;-)

With a 3 saw plan like that you can tackle pretty much anything. I think you've got a bit of redundancy too. If any of your saws is out of action the others can do the job. Maybe not as nicely, but you can stihl get there ;)

Shaun

Latest posts

Back